• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Trail Camera's who's good?

CoCaDoRi

revived old guy
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2001
South Central North Dakota
I see lots of them out there... I've no idea which ones are worth the money.

I need memory, clarity and distance. Night photo's with out the flash is preferable as well.

I appreciate the insight

Re: Trail Camera's who's good?

i am looking for the same answers. I check chasingame.com frequently. I am looking to buy one in the next week. So far the ones that I have available to me locally havent gotten very good reviews.

I have used Cuddeback for a few years now and they have been great. Easy to set up, program and they take great pics. The ones I have are older ones and use a flash but they have some newer ones that don't I believe. So far I have noticed that the animals don't seem to notice the flash at all and sometimes it is handy to be able to see the flash going off so I will be a little more cautious approaching them at night while looking for pigs. I have used the Stealth Cam in the past as well and found them a bit of a pain in the ass to program.

I caught some of the 50 dollar Wildview cameras at Wal Mart for 10 dollars awhile back. They lasted a little over a year and the flash went out on one. My friend had the Moultrie D40 (I think) so far two seasons with little problems. One keeps filling up with water!! I just bought a stealth cam IR 530 and it seems to be real sensitive but battery life is very long. I am going to try out some wild game innovations next and see what happens.

I have a couple of cheapo Stealth Cams and a top of the line Moultrie. The Stealths are ok. They take very good quality pictures but the response times sometimes seem a little slow. They also do not have great battery life. The Moultrie is the one that uploads the photos to the internet. This one was originally purchased to catch poachers - did its job quite well in that regard. It takes great pictures during the day and decent pictures at night with the IR flash. I am not sold on the IR being less spooky to deer though.

I have a Moultrie I40 that I bought last year and I am also using it this year. I have had no problems at all with it and I would consider it to have a long battery life. That brings me to the only negative which it takes 6D batteries which makes it heavy sometimes. I have had it up now for over a month and the battery was at 73%.

I also bought the new Primos Truth cam in the 35 and 46 version. They take 4D batteries. The 46 quit taking pictures after a couple of weeks so I took it back and got the Primos Truth 35 cameras.

They are all infrared cameras but I always get pictures of the deer looking in the camera direction however I gets lots of pictures so it does not seem to bother too much.

Both are easy to figure out as well.

I ran a couple old Moultrie units that were pretty solid, but the battery life sucked like no other. Took fair pictures though.

Buddy of mine bought a Bushnell Trophy Cam last year and it turned out to work pretty slick, way longer battery life than we expected, took great pics, easy to program, and small unit.

Just yesterday I dropped the coin on two of these. I didn't care to pay for the camo version, but that is all they had. Extra $18 each to be camo'd.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/trail-cameras/trophy-cam/119445C/

Some don't like the B&W IR night photo's, some don't mind them. I am not sure what the two I have coming are as they are new for 2010. I have been told it will switch back and forth by a Bushnell rep, but there may be some confusion there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buddy of mine bought a Bushnell Trophy Cam last year and it turned out to work pretty slick, way longer battery life than we expected, took great pics, easy to program, and small unit.

Just yesterday I dropped the coin on two of these. I didn't care to pay for the camo version, but that is all they had. Extra $18 each to be camo'd.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/trail-cameras/trophy-cam/119445C/

Some don't like the B&W IR night photo's, some don't mind them. I am not sure what the two I have coming are as they are new for 2010. I have been told it will switch back and forth by a Bushnell rep, but there may be some confusion there. </div></div>

^^^^^^^^^ This

I have a few older Moultries, which have worked alright. It seems the older ones are built better than the newer models, because I can only get a year or two out of the newer ones before they shit the bed. My older 2 models are still going strong. These would be the "Cabelas 5.0 Outfitter" cams. When 1 shits the bed, I just take it back to Cabelas and they'll replace it for nothing.

Now, I have a buddy who just tested out these new Bushnell cameras, along with a Cuddeback and a new Stealth Cam I believe. The Trophy Cam won hands down, for battery life and shutter speed anyways. I've heard nothing but good about them new Bushnells. When the time comes to replace my cams, I will be going that route. My brother has a new Cuddeback, and he's not all that impressed with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: signal5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am looking for the same answers. I check chasingame.com frequently. I am looking to buy one in the next week. So far the ones that I have available to me locally havent gotten very good reviews. </div></div>

Wow, I checked that website out and they don't have much good things to say about the Bushnell Tropy Cam, and neither do the boys on Archery Talk. It sounds like it's a total luck of the draw as far as getting a "good" one or not. Thanks for the website though, very informative and seems to be pretty non biased.

http://chasingame.com/index.php?id=1

All this talk and no pics. Is there a game cam thread?

From a Moultrie I40
30wqmpy.jpg

Primos Truth cam 35
4kz0b6.jpg

Primos Truth cam 46
205pa94.jpg

I've been looking at getting a Primos 46 and from your pictures, it seems to be a good choice. One thing I noticed though is the deer looking at the camera. I was under the impression that the IR models weren't supposed to disturb the deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was under the impression that the IR models weren't supposed to disturb the deer. </div></div>

I used to think that myself but all of those pics are IR and I have a whole lot of pics of deer looking at the cameras. I am not sure which is the best to keep quiet and not disturb the wildlife. Maybe the $500 dollar models? When the camera takes pics it only makes a low noise that one can barely hear but maybe the deer hear it a lot better?

What little I have played with the Bushnell today, it is pretty sweet. I didn't buy the "view" one, but got the unit that goes up to 8mp and it works pretty sweet.
-Easy to program
-Trips quick
-Battery function is way better than others (and I haven't even tested on out)
-Small and compact, light.
-Great B&W pics (even though I originally wanted color at night, I don't think so now).
-Testing in my back pasture area this evening on house cats, fox, etc. Haven't noticed the fox around lately, but sure they are around.
-I will post what I gather up.

My buddy ran a single 5mp in his line up last year. After talking with him again today, I don't think there is another out there any better, but he did mention getting another stealth cam. I think for night time color photo's. I have to say I personally like the B&W night photo's over color due to lack of detection to people and varmints/deer/etc.

Will see how it works out in a couple days.

I use the ScoutGuard SG550 and have had great results with it. The batteries last forever in it.

I just bought one of the Bushnell Trophy Cams. Pretty pleased with it so far. Got this pic the other night. We had my camera on the same t-post as my buddy's Cuddeback and he didnt have a pic of either one of these bucks. The Bushnell had twice as many pics in 2 days as the Cuddeback did with the same settings.

2ilhhja.jpg

I've had good service from Cuddeback.
Good thread, I'm currently shopping for another camera.
april2010009.jpg

nov1st2009007.jpg

If someone would please PM me and explain how to post pics, I will post pics from my Moultrie cams

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgn8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If someone would please PM me and explain how to post pics, I will post pics from my Moultrie cams

Thanks </div></div>

P/M sent.........

I appreciate the input from all.

I just bought 5 of the Day 6 Plotwatchers. I'll be sure to post to this thread when I have some results.

79.00 Moltrie isn't bad at all for the money but my favorite is the Cuddeback Capture. Extremely simple and fast trigger speed.
I like the plot watcher idea but turns off at night and only last for 7 days.
1fjr87.jpg

23k6f03.jpg

and one for the cuddeback
352rqxd.jpg

I like the bushnell trophy cam ,battery life is awesome.

I run a Moultrie and a Leaf River. Had a little trouble with my Moultrie in the beginning, but they took care of me. Great customer service. Not real impressed with the leaf river. It does ok, but I expected a lot better.

It’s important not to get hung-up on how many MP your trail camera is, unless you are making a wildlife documentary. What you do require in a high quality trail camera is: FAST TRIGGER SPEED, LARGE TRIGGER ZONE, LARGE FLASH DISSTANCE (Visible or IR)

Make sure you do your homework before you part with your $$$.
I picked the Reconyx for its fast trigger speed and large detection zone, the IR flash needs a bit more range.