• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Trainers 22LR vs 223

Mudflap621

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2020
Ok guys I'm on the fence here as which way to go with this one. Ive read for day pros and cons to both and still looking for that last bit of advice that pushes me in the right direction. Im getting ready to start piecing together a training rifle to compliment my main gun and I really can't decide between the 22 or 223. I got my feet wet last year with a Tikka Varmint in 223 and have since built a custom 6bra for future use but would also like to build a trainer gun that will match this. I ended up going to a 700 based action so id like to keep the same action design, my only reason for not sticking with the Tikka.

I have the ability to go out to 600 yards at my home range and this is kinda pushing me towards the 223. They have a dedicated 100 yard range in which you bring your own targets and no real props available on this range unless I supply them. They also have a second range that a decent amount of steel targets from 300-600 yards and we've accumulated quite a few props to practice on.

If I was to go 22 it would be either a RimX or Vudoo and its nice as I would not have to worry about the reloading aspect of it. Ammo costs would be a little less but my 100yrd range isn't exactly setup for 22 and id be end up buying a bunch of target and having to setup every time I went. Plus side is I have a few small children and hoping to get them shooting within the next year or so.

As for the 223, my long range is pretty well equipped where I could just go out and shoot easily from 300-600 yards without anything other than building my ammo and showing up. It's also the easy button for our monthly local matches and won't have to burn the sexy six up as quickly.

Price wise both rifles I plan to build will be a wash so that's not being factored into the decision. Main factors are going to be what's going to be the easiest and most productive for me to shoot.

As you can see Im a hot mess and looking for suggestions.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound to me like you're a hot mess, sounds to me like you want to go 223 unless A) you don't think your kids will like the recoil/blast, B) you really, really don't want to spend the time reloading, or C) you haven't already stockpiled primers and powder. That last one is pretty meaningful in today's market.

Since you have access to 600 yds with targets and props already, you'll get more training (wind and recoil management in particular) with the 223. Yes shooting 22LR will train wind also, but it's more sensitive to wind, and the consistency tends to be inferior unless you're paying similar costs to reloaded 223 per round, so it can be hard to build confidence on 22LR that fully carries over to centerfire.

At the risk of making your head spin even more, I'm spooling up a 22BR rig to get cheap reloads with similar ballistics to many of the 6mm offerings. Recoil between 223 and 6mm, cost much closer to 223 if I stick with the 88gr ELDM and don't try to run Bergers, and similar or slightly better barrel life over the 6mm as well. However, I'm having to get a custom reamer spun up for it, so this might be more headache than you're looking for. I'll be sizing down Lapua 6BR brass to get the cases.

Of the two you listed, I think you want 223 just based on your own reasoning, unless you really don't wanna reload or don't have components. Godspeed.

I use both. In one way I’d like to tell you to go 22 and just use your 223. While not a 700 you still get valueable training from running the tikka as is!!

If your dead set on selling or not using the tikka then I might suggest the 223 over the 22 due to the fact you have close access too 600.

I have learned more and use my 22 way more then my 223. It’s good to have both cause you have to deal with slight muzzle blast and recoil pulse on the 223 which helps you stay trained there, but due to the ease and price of the 22 I shoot it so much more and have gained so much from using a 22 again! Have a second prs 22 on its way

Last edited:
Get the Vudoo .22. This way you can shoot .22 matches and get more used to moving through a stage and time management as well as practice at home. Never really have to worry about barrel life either. Not all about shooting longer range but being able to move through a stage. Shooting .22 matches will teach this better and cost less. Should be some in your area.

Not sure what action you built your 6bra on but you might be able to change that to a .223 also.

Thanks for the input guys. My gut feeling is 223 would be more suitable for my home range but I am itching for a high end 22 and I think that's where I'm conflicting. As far as reloading supplies are concerned im good on that front as I stocked up early.

As much as another wildcat arouses me im gonna stick to the 22 or 223. The 22 is easier as in locate a decent ammo and buy a bunch where the 223 I have enough components to load for no issues. Honestly I'll probably end up with both but trying to decide which will suit me best in the near future.

Rob you bring up a good point on going through the paces and the 22 is going to be the easy button for sure. My concern, now that you brought it up, is between my local matches and actually trying to attending some regional matches this year my schedule will be pretty full to bring the 22 matches into the mix. This might actually persuade me towards the 223.

I went back on forth before building the 6bra on doing some type of switch barrel setup but I decided that id rather not be swapping barrels/bolts around having to worry about re-zeroing. Id rather build specific rifles for specific tasks and not have deal with swapping shit around. I built on a LP Fuzion action and if going for another centerfire will probably use the same as thus far I've been very pleased with it.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Well if you don't plan to shoot any .22 matches or care about ammo then might as well do a .223. Probably better as when you start shooting the .22 you would probably want to shoot more matches. ;)

What's your home range? Is it Granby?

Ok guys I'm on the fence here as which way to go with this one. Ive read for day pros and cons to both and still looking for that last bit of advice that pushes me in the right direction. Im getting ready to start piecing together a training rifle to compliment my main gun and I really can't decide between the 22 or 223. I got my feet wet last year with a Tikka Varmint in 223 and have since built a custom 6bra for future use but would also like to build a trainer gun that will match this. I ended up going to a 700 based action so id like to keep the same action design, my only reason for not sticking with the Tikka.

I have the ability to go out to 600 yards at my home range and this is kinda pushing me towards the 223. They have a dedicated 100 yard range in which you bring your own targets and no real props available on this range unless I supply them. They also have a second range that a decent amount of steel targets from 300-600 yards and we've accumulated quite a few props to practice on.

If I was to go 22 it would be either a RimX or Vudoo and its nice as I would not have to worry about the reloading aspect of it. Ammo costs would be a little less but my 100yrd range isn't exactly setup for 22 and id be end up buying a bunch of target and having to setup every time I went. Plus side is I have a few small children and hoping to get them shooting within the next year or so.

As for the 223, my long range is pretty well equipped where I could just go out and shoot easily from 300-600 yards without anything other than building my ammo and showing up. It's also the easy button for our monthly local matches and won't have to burn the sexy six up as quickly.

Price wise both rifles I plan to build will be a wash so that's not being factored into the decision. Main factors are going to be what's going to be the easiest and most productive for me to shoot.

As you can see Im a hot mess and looking for suggestions.
Get the 223 for your trainer, and a dedicated 22lr for the kids. It's unlikely they will be able to start off with a properly sized (for you) 22lr anyway, it will probably be too heavy/long.

Reactions: dgheriani
Get a 223 or 223AI. If you have NRL matches near by buy a bolt action 22LR

.223 AI would be a waste as you couldn’t shoot it in Tac. If just a practice rifle then no need for the AI as you don’t need the extra velocity also.

Also NRL is not the only game in town anymore for .22 matches. Lots of others out there now.

Reactions: demolitionman
I am in similar situation and do both. I practice a lot at a 500 yard range and use a 223 bolt rifle - I load the 223 with 75ELDMs or 80SMKs loaded full progressive on a Dillon 550 with TAC powder. Save the wear on my 6XC and 6BR.

I shoot as many PRS rimfire matches as I can with my Bergara B14R 22LR. My closest PRS club runs PRS centerfire on Saturday and PRS rimfire on Sunday on match weekends - I get a lot of barricade practice off PRS rimfire.

Reactions: ma smith
OP i struggle with same

Buy both has its merits

Economics of .223 vary alot

Glass and chassis setups do to.

Thanks guys I guess the only logical outcome is to obviously buy both at some point.

As much as I think the 223 would be more suited for where I shoot the ease of the 22 is probably going to push me that way first. I also load my 223 on a progressive albeit not throwing powder it is still going to me more time reloading versus grabbing a box of ammo and going shooting.

Maybe with a nice 22 setup it will motivate me to try out some local 22 matches. Does seem it would be a little less stressful overall.

Reactions: Matt_3479
Both is not a bad choice but the .22 first would be my recommendation. Also the .22 matches are cheaper but only less stressful if you care less. It's still a rifle match and you still have to do all the same things you do in a centerfire match to be successful. Maybe more so when wind is involved. That is why shooting the .22 matches is great training.

I was in a similar boat. I started off with a .22 shooting NRL22 stuff. The I wanted to give the PRS a try and built a 6 creed. It is a 2.5 hour drive for me to a PRS Match and I shoot the Rimfire on Sunday after. Just did that this weekend. I shot my first CF PRS Match this weekend as well. I found my self managing time well from previous PRS RF Matches and the 90sec limit. I built my CF with the same chassis and optic as my RF. CF is an Origin and RF is a RimX. I couldn't be happier with my 2 rifles.

With your home range of 600 yards capable you can find good deals on steel through Atlas Target Works and may others. If you are a PR Member and I figure you are there are supporters that give discounts on targets. Easy enough to get a few and have fun. NRL22 target kits can be bought at a reasonable price as well and the COF is published each month to build and shoot it your self. Cheap barricades also as most of the stuff you probably have at home.

I do have a 223 barrel I can spin onto my CF action if I want to shoot Tac Class or just practice. I doubt I'll ever do it unless I buy another action. I just hate swapping the stuff out all the time. Hope I didn't muddy up the water too much. The RF shooting got me back into the game again and I am so glad it did. My bank account didn't like it but my mind and body does.

stick the tikka 223 in a matching stock/chassis (or cheap like a KRG bravo). shoot 77gr SMKs without a brake. will be fine in an 8 twist barrel

buy a RimX
Haha the Tikka is in a bravo and shooting SMKs very well. I’ll probably regret letting it go but I’m one of the poors on here and it would make the next purchase a little easier on the wallet.
50879143-0B13-4335-8DB5-D184D6E7D232.jpeg
45B08906-57D5-4001-BB6A-A191503B1738.jpeg

Reactions: K80/6.5
I got both 22 and 223. The 22 I can shoot at home very easily, thus I it has let me practice so much more and cost of ammo is half that of my 223. Though recoil is not present on 22 I have it in the same chassis and same scope , rings everything is the same. Being able to practice throwing a bag build a position over and over again to me is invaluable. I even dry fire a lot , then load 4 or 6 rds and run a half stage timing my self. To me the 22 is a gamechanger

Voice out of the choir here.

If you like PRS shooting, but:
1. very little time for training, so *time* is your scarce resource here
2. hey u work like shit so money is there...
3. following 1 you can do just some dry firing at stupid o'clock if you're not fully exhausted
4. you can't shoot at home

then go for a twin config of match rifles, maybe just savin something here and there (scope mainly) on the 'plan B' rig. simply because:

1. two is one and one is none;
2. the best training, again if time is you scarcest resource, is done with your match rifle, either in dry conditions or in the field;
3. you could use a tuner on one of the two and then being able to shoot the same recipe with same good results

at least this works for me. And, last but not least, 22LR is sooo boring...

to each his own

^^ That is what I was thinking. We had an absolute blast for 10 stages and 95 rounds out to 309 yards this past Sunday.

With access to the range you have, I'd go with a .223. I have both a .223 (bolt head and barrel swap on my backup match gun) and .22 and I almost never shoot my .22 whereas my .223 lives in my truck and gets shot multiple times/week. I'm in a similar situation as you in that I have access to 470yds at a minimum about 10 mins from my house (1600yds when there's no snow) and .223 is just better practice as there is actually "some" recoil. I shoot 75gr BTHPs or ELDMs around 2900 and it's super capable inside 700 yds.

As was pointed out above, a heavy, "match-optimized" .22 isn't ideal for kids anyways.

Reactions: Mudflap621
Thanks guys you all bring up valid points and they all make the decision even harder. I’ll get to play with a Vudoo and Rim X hopefully within the next few weeks so that should help maybe keep the waters muddy. 🙄

So accurate rifles with no recoil are boring? That takes away all the 25 pound 6mms in centerfire matches too. LOL
Sooo True! In fact, together with Allison Zane and few others we're still shooting 6 Creed. We're not gay LOL

Sooo True! In fact, together with Allison Zane and few others we're still shooting 6 Creed. We're not gay LOL
Never thought I was when shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor in matches when she was 2. LOL That seems to be a Creedmoor hater opinion born over the past 10 years.

Reactions: giumau1
My .02 worth.....first my resume: High Power & Long Range High Master, US Palma Team Member 2003. When I made the US Palma Team, and since I didn't have a range any longer then 300 to practice at, I decided to build a hardcore small bore rig identical to my Palma rifles...same stock/cheekpiece and weight/etc. I thought I was a pretty good shooter (remember, I had just made the US Palma team), but the small bore rig was as rude awaking. After 3-4 months of serious trn'ing, and learning how delicate I had to be on this rig, I finally developed into a hell'eva holder and shot delivery system. I realized that I had gotten away with alot of shooting errors, with my 223 rifle (M700 Palma rig) and Palma rifles, which were masked by barrel time and recoil. My small bore trn'ing consisted of keeping a 'detailed' trn'ing log, which showed a pattern....not a good pattern, of wayward shots. Interestingly, my wayward shots were always in the same quadrant....WTF! The problem/difficulty was identifying what was CAUSING those wayward shots and correcting the issue. Eventually, I corrected my errors and got my slinged up/prone hold down to sub 1/3 MOA. Now, with all that said, my smallbore rig was a custom built 52E/Kreiger barrel and shooting Eley Tenex.....FWIW.

Reactions: jakelly
If you think .22 matches are boring then you aren’t shooting the right one. Lol
I’ve seen some of those .22 matches. They invited me to shoot. No way could I even try. Those fellows and ladies and young people are good, mo better than this 73 y/o will ever be again.

And I’m not talking about being afraid to lose, I’m talking about how they move and how difficult the shooting is. I only wish I could shoot in the positions and with the movement of those fine shooters

Boring? About as boring as winning the powerball lottery.

I built a sweet 223 trainer to match my 6 Dasher in every way and then never shot it…when I’d get the time to go shoot it I’d just end up using the Dasher. Sold the 223 stuff and bought a RimX. I can shoot about 200yds right out of my back door and the .22 has been so much more fun and easier to use. I can grab it and my Bergara B14r and me and my kids can do some quick practice and put them back up in under an hour. Like others have said, both might be the answer for you but I’d definitely start with the 22 and see if the 223 is even necessary.

Thanks guys I guess the only logical outcome is to obviously buy both at some point.

As much as I think the 223 would be more suited for where I shoot the ease of the 22 is probably going to push me that way first. I also load my 223 on a progressive albeit not throwing powder it is still going to me more time reloading versus grabbing a box of ammo and going shooting.

Maybe with a nice 22 setup it will motivate me to try out some local 22 matches. Does seem it would be a little less stressful overall.
I did a MARS match on Sunday. There was quite the crowd out shooting some VERY expensive setups. ...then there was me with my Bergara BMR and Crimson Trace .22 BDC optic

It was a good time despite me being woefully slow and only semi-accurate

M

I did a MARS match on Sunday. There was quite the crowd out shooting some VERY expensive setups. ...then there was me with my Bergara BMR and Crimson Trace .22 BDC optic

It was a good time despite me being woefully slow and only semi-accurate

M
Tony’s match at NVGC? Fun matches there.

Tony’s match at NVGC? Fun matches there.
yup. Just squadded for March's match too

May and or may not upgrade my scope beforehand. The 12x did all right out to the 200 yards despite the lack of a Christmas tree-style reticle making shooting out that far a WAG.

$$ are short right now....

M

Seems that's a popular weekend. Shooting USPSA on Sat again like I did this month...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob01
yup. Just squadded for March's match too

May and or may not upgrade my scope beforehand. The 12x did all right out to the 200 yards despite the lack of a Christmas tree-style reticle making shooting out that far a WAG.

$$ are short right now....

M

Seems that's a popular weekend. Shooting USPSA on Sat again like I did this month...

Yeah I shot a couple up there and did the Nomad there too. Tony is always thinking.

Yeah money being tight is tough but more less expensive scopes out now with tree reticles. You can get them for under $500 easy.

Fuck a trainer lol.

Seriously though, for me, I decided that building a trainer and going back and forth between rifles that don't really feel or act the same would probably hurt more than help me. Mostly because the "trainer" isn't going to come with any extra free time.

Finding time to get out there and shoot is the main factor for me. It's an hour-plus drive to a range that goes past 100 yards for me, and if I can find the time, and I'm going to make the drive, might as well go to the range where I can shoot out to 1250yrds if I feel like it (and use my "real" rifle while I'm out there).

Besides, with what a legit "trainer" that mimics one's main/match rifle actually costs, what are you really saving?

Shooting .223, saving something like $0.10 per bullet... that's only around $5 per range trip for me (i usually shoot 50 per session). If I'm going to drive an hour there and an hour back, I'd rather spend an extra $5 and shoot out as far as I want to.

And as far as I can tell, .22 isn't anywhere near "practically free" anymore like it was 10 years ago, especially since the guys who put together Gucci rimfires and show up with Labradars also tend to have an appetite for Center-X more so than the cheap bricks of CCI you used to get at Walmart.

Realistically doing a cost-to-benefit analysis, it'll take most guys a long ass time and a lot of rounds for it to actually add up to where it gets significantly cheaper than just buying more components in bulk and more barrels for one's main rig IMHO.

I have noticed that since NRL22 has gotten so popular, putting together a .22 rig would allow me to hit up more matches here and there and maybe practice some of the in-match mental-game stuff, to me that's probably where the real value in it is. That would be the only reason I'd put together a rimfire, and I guess if I were to bother it'd probably end up nearly exactly like my main rig and be a de facto "trainer" then I guess.

That said, there's a whole gang of ornery worthless fudds that seem to live at my club shooting .22's all day long and acting like they own the place, and I don't want to have to deal with those jerkoffs every time I head to the range, so I probably won't go down that road until I'm as old as those fools and they're long gone lol. 😛

Fuck a trainer lol.

Seriously though, for me, I decided that building a trainer and going back and forth between rifles that don't really feel or act the same would probably hurt more than help me. Mostly because the "trainer" isn't going to come with any extra free time.

Finding time to get out there and shoot is the main factor for me. It's an hour-plus drive to a range that goes past 100 yards for me, and if I can find the time, and I'm going to make the drive, might as well go to the range where I can shoot out to 1250yrds if I feel like it (and use my "real" rifle while I'm out there).

Besides, with what a legit "trainer" that mimics one's main/match rifle actually costs, what are you really saving?

Shooting .223, saving something like $0.10 per bullet... that's only around $5 per range trip for me (i usually shoot 50 per session). If I'm going to drive an hour there and an hour back, I'd rather spend an extra $5 and shoot out as far as I want to.

And as far as I can tell, .22 isn't anywhere near "practically free" anymore like it was 10 years ago, especially since the guys who put together Gucci rimfires and show up with Labradars also tend to have an appetite for Center-X more so than the cheap bricks of CCI you used to get at Walmart.

Realistically doing a cost-to-benefit analysis, it'll take most guys a long ass time and a lot of rounds for it to actually add up to where it gets significantly cheaper than just buying more components in bulk and more barrels for one's main rig IMHO.

I have noticed that since NRL22 has gotten so popular, putting together a .22 rig would allow me to hit up more matches here and there and maybe practice some of the in-match mental-game stuff, to me that's probably where the real value in it is. That would be the only reason I'd put together a rimfire, and I guess if I were to bother it'd probably end up nearly exactly like my main rig and be a de facto "trainer" then I guess.

That said, there's a whole gang of ornery worthless fudds that seem to live at my club shooting .22's all day long and acting like they own the place, and I don't want to have to deal with those jerkoffs every time I head to the range, so I probably won't go down that road until I'm as old as those fools and they're long gone lol. 😛
These are all great points. Either one obviously isn't going to be cheap and would be setup as close to my match rifle as possible.

223 can be quite a bit cheaper per round than my 6BRA. I also only have local access to 600 yards so it would be more than capable at those ranges.

Another big factor is keeping rounds off the comp barrel. Im assuming barrel life of the 223 would be at least double if not triple that of the BRA?

Ive actually got my hands on a Vudoo to test out here hopefully this week. Maybe it will help make the decision a little easier, or harder 🤷‍♂️

Match ammo is >$1 trigger pull for centrefire, including barrel life.

Not counting reloading time. Reloading time is 4-8 hours per 200 rnds. 20-40 hours a year for 1000 rounds.

Thats a whole week of vacation.

The .22lr lets you shoot 5000 round per $1k. With no reloading time, and alot more wind training.

IMHO neither is better, they compliment one another. (Esp if your goal includes building a volume base).

These are all great points. Either one obviously isn't going to be cheap and would be setup as close to my match rifle as possible.

223 can be quite a bit cheaper per round than my 6BRA. I also only have local access to 600 yards so it would be more than capable at those ranges.

Another big factor is keeping rounds off the comp barrel. Im assuming barrel life of the 223 would be at least double if not triple that of the BRA?

Ive actually got my hands on a Vudoo to test out here hopefully this week. Maybe it will help make the decision a little easier, or harder 🤷‍♂️

I think if your local range goes out to 600, then shooting a .223 would make a whole lot of sense, and not just as a "trainer".

One of the best shooters I know shoots PRS Tactical Division, a .223Rem launching 75gr Hornady ELD-M's (or the even cheaper BTHP's), and I witnessed him smoke me and some fairly well-known Pro's through a 2-day while we were all shooting cool-guy 6mm's. Past 800 we had an advantage, but inside that, he smoked us handily (and the conditions were total shit, downpour rain, and lots of wind).

Also, JMHO, but I think people over-estimate the cost of barrel-life and barrel changes... if you're one of those guys who will only shoot a $900+ custom-spun and chambered Bartlien or whatever, where your gunsmith has convinced you that nothing else will do, then yeah, might get expensive. I shoot Proof prefits, they're like ~$430, and I can spin a new one on in like 5-10mins.

Practicing with a trainer is not about shooting long range. It's about getting down your motions in a stage and get them fluid and get into positions fast and have those positions stable. Learning what works and what doesn't under time and practicing them over and over to get them second nature. Ballistics are way down the line in a trainer. One of my best match years my 400 yard range was closed down and I practiced at a local 100 yard range with my .308. You don't need 1250 yards to get very good practice for matches. You just need to do the right things.

Barrel life is important to a lot of people so using a .22 or a .223 or even a .308 and getting 10,000 rounds versus smoking your match rifle 6mm in 2000 and then having to get a new barrel and work up a load again etc. is a huge advantage. And if you have a custom actioned 6mm match rifle you can do it super easy by swapping the barrel and bolt/bolt face so you are using the exact same rifle minus caliber. With the .22 you get to go to matches and use it under time in the same positions as a centerfire so another plus.

So comes down to what the end user wants. Want a trainer etc then get one and use it. Want to just use your match rifle then do that and make sure to order a 2-3 barrels at a time so you are ready to replace them when needed.

.22lr because you don't have to load it and it's a ton of fun.

Reactions: nikonNUT
.223 trainer is helpful because you can get closer to match rifle ballistics meaning you can shoot out to 7-800 yards on small targets, have some actual recoil and can be done by swapping a Barrel, Bolt and Mag. You can get a proof prefit .223 for $500. Figure you can reload .223 training loads (24gr Powder, SRM primer and ELDM75 or similar bullet) for about $.50 a shot not counting brass and using current high prices. You also get significantly longer barrel life and won't have to switch match barrels as often and rolling the dice if they next one shoots as good as the last. My 6 GT Match loads are closer to $.85 a shot not including the brass and with a barrel life of 2-2.5K, will need $800 barrels much sooner, plus the time and effort to break a new barrel in and work up a load.

.22 you can spend as much as centerfire gun to setup. Even shooting Midas+ at $20 a box, you are looking at $.40 per shot. The difference is there is no hunting for components, no spending hours doing brass prep and reloading. No picking brass up off the ground. If you wanted to go really cheap you could shoot standard plus (which a few local guys who win PRS22 matches use) for $.15 per shot. Your barrel will never be shot out from a practical standpoint and if you go vudoo or rimx can use all the same shit from centerfire gun. Matches are more plentiful and much cheaper so you can get a ton of practice in positional, breaking position and trigger pulls.

There is a place for both and they both not only have value, but are a ton of fun. Shooting .22 matches is a blast and latley they are more fun to me than PRS Bolt gun matches. Helps keep things exciting and fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: ma smith
I like my 223 trainer a lot.

Ammo cost is almost exactly half at current prices, including barrel life/rebarelling costs. Spreadsheet calculations say $0.49 per shot all in with 223, and $0.98 per shot all-in with my 6BRA match ammo.

I load 223 ammo way, way faster on a Dillon 1050 than I can make match ammo. I work off a large batch of milsurp brass and don't have to worry about whether I'm leaving enough prepped brass for the next upcoming match. Less time and organization needed, just make a big pile and throw them in an ammo can.

I have shot a Vudoo and it is super sweet, but to me it felt a lot like dry firing. For me the 223 does add muzzle blast and a bit of recoil to make it feel similar to my match gun. A touch of recoil yes, but more so about the familiarity of what it's like to shoot at matches. Keeping myself accountable not to get punchy on the trigger.

I have shot a Vudoo and it is super sweet, but to me it felt a lot like dry firing. For me the 223 does add muzzle blast and a bit of recoil to make it feel similar to my match gun. A touch of recoil yes, but more so about the familiarity of what it's like to shoot at matches. Keeping myself accountable not to get punchy on the trigger.

It takes some discipline to shoot a gun with zero recoil the same way as you would a gun that does move (just a little in the case of a match gun, but it does need some pressure). I can do it for a bit, but once I start trying to shoot as tight as I can I tend to start driving it different.

Like usual, your experience mirrors mine very closely.

Reactions: Sheldon N
Well I took the loaner vudoo out for the first time and will say it was a pleasure to shoot. Had CCI SV, Aguila , SK RM, and Center-X to play with. The CCI seemed pretty tough to chamber, Aguila I had 3 or 4 light primer strikes, SK RM and Center-X ran great.

Plan on doing some more testing with CCI again as well as some SK standard plus.
F25E7826-3830-44DA-9A97-6C978A7F9CA8.jpeg

Little groups are good but shoot it like a trainer. Set up some steel and obstacles and get a timer going. I find no difference in shooting a .22 and a larger rifle. You have to do the same things with both but one has a little more recoil.

Reactions: Zack_va248