• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trainger gun suggestions

bconway52

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I have recently got into precision shooting and am looking at getting a .22lr trainer gun for cheaper practice.

I've got a Rem 700 sps tactical in .308. It has the hogue stock that came with it.

What should I look at getting for a trainer gun?

I'd like to keep it under $400 (not including optic, etc)...any suggestions?

Re: Trainger gun suggestions

I own a Savage 22lr and a CZ 452 22lr. Both rifles have optics. Both rifles are detach mag. Both rifles are left handed bolt guns.

both rifle shoot very well.

I like the CZ much more.

The Savage feels like a cheap rifle, and it is. I do shoot very good groups with both.

So its up to you. The quality to cost ratio goes to the CZ, its cheap, and high quality. The Savage only beats the CZ is price. The CZ is a much better rifle I think.

but both rifles will do what you ask of them.

As far as optics go, I use a Sightron SI 3-9 mildot with a 150yd ZERO. I use Mil-Hold for all engagements.

One last thing, if you plan on upgrading the rifle, new stock, new trigger and all that as time goes by, get the CZ. Because when you get done with it, it will be a killer rifle. IF you just plan on shooting the hell out of it, get the CZ anyhow. Its a better rifle.

If you look at the CZ's I would get the 452 LUX do to the ability to use the iron sights and upgrade to a optic at some other time. The iron sights on the LUX will get you to 200yds just fine.

John

Any one know any thing about the remington model 5? It has 5 round detachable mag as well. I think they run around 300 bucks. I too am looking for a .22L and I also have rem 700 sps-t. I wish they made a 700 in .22, that would make the best trainer for a rem 700 308 IMHO.

Stiller is coming out with a rem 40x .22lr clone (sometime this summer?) I will be building one up into a high end rifle. I'm just waiting on the actions to get into full production - should fit any rem700 footprint.

Agreed....I'm very pleased with the accuracy of my CZ452 trainer w/ 6-24x42 Barska mounted using Xpert HV bulk ammo. I MOA at least to 100.

CZTRAINERRANGEREPORT4159downsized.jpg

I have a 452 that really shoots great and I'm looking at one of the
savage MKII's with the thumbholes stocks and the Accu-trigger. I think that it might be a great set up with the right scope.
larryj