• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training for people with disabilities.

Pogo57

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2009
Redmond, Wa
Most long range training requires a fair amount of walking which I can't do. Does anyone know of a school or facility that doesn't require this? I can get into the various shooting positions and can walk about 100yds at a time.

TIA

Re: Training for people with disabilities.

it would help..............................if you completed your profile ...............so them that know can advise something that may be close to your AO

Long range is a relative thing.

Long range for a .223 is about 600yd+, for a .308 is about 1000yd, and for a .22lr is about 200yd.

I find that for training purposes, wind in particular, 100yd is enough with the .22LR. 200yd is similar to 800-1000yd with a .308.

Maybe your LR facility is closer than you think.

Greg

Get a 4-wheeler.

Or find a range that allows you to drive downrange. When I am shooing to 200+ at our local range I jump in my truck to go down and check the targets. Its more about saving everyone some time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 4-wheeler.

Or find a range that allows you to drive downrange. When I am shooing to 200+ at our local range I jump in my truck to go down and check the targets. Its more about saving everyone some time. </div></div>

I try to hit the target not go "shooing" them away!
smile.gif

That's what I'm trying to do...not be a drag on the class. Now all I need it that couple of K$ and I'll be all set.

LT to me is 600yds+.

Agreed that shooting 100yds with wind and a 22LR is good practice but it's not the same as the real thing as .308 at a 1000yd.

It's been my experience that shooters are generally very open and cooperative toward shooters with disabilities. Usually all it takes is to bring the question to the attention of the administration in a direct and positive manner. A low key approach seems to work best for all involved.

Frequently you will find that the subject has already been given some thought, and all folks had been waiting for was an opportunity to put their ideas in motion, prefereably with some direct and constructive input from the folks who will be most affected. And some folks haven't, but when given a reasonable opportunity, they will happily rise to the occasion.

This is occasionally an opportunity for misunderstanding, but if all parties give the situation a chance, it usually works out to everyone's advantage.

The sure way to prevent this is for either of the parties to approach the matter in a confrontational manner. It's been my observation that if this is allowed to happen, very little good can come from the resulting outcome, and this often has disappointing consequences down the road for others, who might have been able to otherwise contribute positively to the issue.

A clear head and a smile will go a mile.

Greg

I have had students in wheelchairs before, students missing limbs and all kinds of challenges.

The block of instruction for such students is the same. All I do is adjust what needs to change to help the student out.

With the student in a wheel chair I setup a bench, the student missing a arm we did not do positional.

I see no issue with any mobility or medical challenges as long as the student and I are safe.

Going down range and pulling targets was not going to happen with the student in a wheelchair. So I did it and brought the target to him.

John

I see a Hoveround with 4 wheeling upgrades in my short term future... Will keep shooting as long as I can keep hitting the target & not put anyone else in harm's way.....