• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training for PRS competitions with shot timer

nelama

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2021
Uk
Hi,

I have attended a few PRS matchs and will want to get a bit more serious, been thinking of getting a shot timer to get used to the times but am not shure.
What do you guys think, is there something to gain using a physical shot timer or is it fine with just an app?
Also, is it even beneficial?
regards
N

If you plan to get in to other competitions like USPSA then it's a good piece of equipment to have.

A shot-timer is a tool that’s nice to have in the toolbox, but for PRS it’s not something that’s going to give you much of a boost until you’re already finishing mid-pack in most matches IMHO.

IMO the best thing about a shot-timer is showing one just how short a “long trigger press” can be, even when you’re trying to press it extra slow. 1.5-2 seconds can feel like forever.

For most (including me) it’s all about getting into position and stable fast, and then pulling the trigger slow… if practice with a timer helps one do that, then it’s great.

A shot-timer is a tool that’s nice to have in the toolbox, but for PRS it’s not something that’s going to give you much of a boost until you’re already finishing mid-pack in most matches IMHO.

IMO the best thing about a shot-timer is showing one just how short a “long trigger press” can be, even when you’re trying to press it extra slow. 2 seconds feels like forever.

For most (including me) it’s all about getting into position and stable fast, and then pulling the trigger slow… if practice with a timer helps one do that, then it’s great.
Yes I tend to agree, however, I have trained with the app ones and it really shows like you say how long a trigger press can be, also i'm finding that separating a stage in shots and the time it takes each shot is showing me diferent things i was not aware.
Saying all this, the only person I hear using a shot timer is Morgun King (I may be wrong) and it makes sense a video he was showing the diferent speeds he can go trough

Morgun King is a perfect example on how to do it: he’s really fast to get in position/stable, and has a whole bunch of stuff in his bag as second nature that happens quickly without him having to really think about it… but even as fast as he is, he still has the discipline to still press the trigger slow. The good ones can do that.

The first use of a timer that will give you benefit is timing your positional dry fire while taking care to follow your shot process correctly each time. Just time yourself at first then work to increase positions and presses within the 2 minutes.

I'd start with with a DFAT, or a dry fire target that you can see that is .6 mil, and use a ladder. Do 3 positions 2 shots each while timing yourself. You want to get to zero wobble and zero reticle movement when you press the trigger in two minutes. Then track your time to where you are doing it in a minute. Then add positions until you get get to six positions and 2 shots in two minutes WITH no wobble and no reticle movement.

Really think about what you are doing and be honest if your target acquisition, NPA, press, and recoil management needs work. Work each isolation until its perfect. Look into dumbbell exercises and body weight leg exercises to facilitate your mobility when your body holds you back.

Track your times and make notes as you train. be sure to rest 2-4 minutes between reps and get a solid nights sleep so the work takes.

Then go branch out to prone, multiple props, etc.

It took me 1000+ evolutions over a year to get down to a consistent 35 seconds on the PRS barricade skills stage.

But it's worth it. I have huge amounts of time now on most stages. And if I find something new, I know I can train to that standard in a couple of hours of work. Or even just visualize it a dozen times before I do it.

Yes I tend to agree, however, I have trained with the app ones and it really shows like you say how long a trigger press can be, also i'm finding that separating a stage in shots and the time it takes each shot is showing me diferent things i was not aware.
Saying all this, the only person I hear using a shot timer is Morgun King (I may be wrong) and it makes sense a video he was showing the diferent speeds he can go trough

All of the top shooters use timers and have a training lab setup at home and their range.

It all has to be automatic. Stage prep, shot process, etc. Your mind has to be free to process what you see and then make that adjustment and carry it to the next shot - AND deal with surprises on the stage/COF itself.