• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training my pregnant wife to shoot? Any Docs here?

heronblue7

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2019
I want to train my 6-month pregnant wife on AR’s this weekend.

With the noise harm the fetus?

I know repeated exposure to lead is bad, but this will be a one time rang trip until after the baby is born.

I want her to be prepared to defend herself from Corona looters.

you need to know that there is no research to support things like this in general because its unethical to do experiments on pregnant women.

I wouldn't worry about noise harming the baby (not a fetus, its a human).

Lead exposure isn't a problem its the lead levels in the blood that would be a problem. wash hands with the d-lead soap or similar

Lead exposure at an outdoor range is a non-issue.

The baby is in a fluid filled sack inside the mother's abdomen which will reduce sound energy. However, as fluid is effective at transmitting sound, it is less effective at reducing sound energy than a set of hearing protectors. Additionally, the components of the ear may be more sensitive to damage during prenatal development. The current recommendation is that women in the second and third trimesters not be exposed to sounds over 90-100 dB, and the sound energy from a gunshot is almost certainly above this level inside the womb.

We decided against my wife going to the range when she was pregnant because of the potential for hearing damage to the prenatal child.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I have not read any articles about this but...I would personally not feel comfortable with it.

Have a 22LR or pellet gun?

Start there with basics, saftey, loading, manual of arms, target aquisition and sight alignment, etc.

Review same principles with the AR stopping short of actual firing. How to load, operate, etc.

Personally I wouldn’t and we didn’t when the wife was preggers (she’s a shooter too). Too much to risk with nothing to gain.

There are a lot of talk about playing soothing music and/or talking to the monster growing inside, so by that same thought process, the noise from a gunshot(s) would also be heard/felt by the creature. I’d also believe that this could lead to possible damage or inhibit proper inner ear development.
But I’m not a doctor but I have stayed at a holiday inn express.

One day at the range isn’t going to be enough anyways and is going to do very little over frequent indoor dry-fire training and manipulation.

But just my opinion ??‍♀️

Personally I wouldn’t and we didn’t when the wife was preggers (she’s a shooter too). Too much to risk with nothing to gain.

There are a lot of talk about playing soothing music and/or talking to the monster growing inside, so by that same thought process, the noise from a gunshot(s) would also be heard/felt by the creature. I’d also believe that this could lead to possible damage or inhibit proper inner ear development.
But I’m not a doctor but I have stayed at a holiday inn express.

One day at the range isn’t going to be enough anyways and is going to do very little over frequent indoor dry-fire training and manipulation.

But just my opinion ??‍♀️

i agree dude.
great question from the poster.
does anyones wives remember the child getting active in the womb while the shooting noise going on?

so, if using a pregnate womens stomach as a shooting bag...
is it safe to use a brake???

No problem for momma to be shooting.
Not being a victim is important also.
Being in the car on the way to the range is potentially more dangerous than shooting at the range. outdoor ranges don’t really have the lead problem, just wash hands.

Increase in stress hormones, elevated heart rate, etc.

Doesn't sound like the best of ideas.

If you’re doing something you enjoy you shouldn’t have “increased stress hormones”...on the contrary, getting out of the house, being active, having fun together, practicing valuable skills, would all be beneficial for everyone not just a pregnant woman.

Get some snap caps. Practice loading, opening/closing bolt then firing (yes, I know it's all manual, but unless you have your rifle chambered all the time, it's good practice for her to remember to close the bolt before pulling trigger). One range day will only introduce her to the feeling of shooting live rounds, unless you plan on being there all day. When I taught my girlfriend how to shoot, she barely remembered anything the next time we went out.

Playing with snap caps at home will train her on how to manipulate the rifle, which is what is more important for a newbie who will undoubtedly be under an immense amount of stress in that situation anyway, I'm my opinion at least. That's how I got to know my semi when I wasn't shooting. I played with snap caps in my basement, manually chambering and extracting each round after firing. It also helped that snap caps are just plastic pieces of shit that get jammed all the time, so if she gets a jam in real life she won't be clueless on what to do.

Reactions: WoobieJ
If you’re doing something you enjoy you shouldn’t have “increased stress hormones”...on the contrary, getting out of the house, being active, having fun together, practicing valuable skills, would all be beneficial for everyone not just a pregnant woman.
For a new shooter, even if they are having fun, the loudness of it, pressure of trying something new, it's not going to be relaxing. Adrenaline pumping, etc.

what stress hormones? women have been carrying babies in far worse and far more stressful circumstances for thousands of years. Thinking you'll be able to have a huge impact is nearly as silly as thinking you can help the climate.

Reactions: XP1K and WoobieJ
For a new shooter, even if they are having fun, the loudness of it, pressure of trying something new, it's not going to be relaxing. Adrenaline pumping, etc.
Decision should be made on a individual basis. If it’s relaxing to you, go for it. If not, dryfire.

My wife was that pregnant at the Appleseed where she shot her Rifleman score. Her doc said it was fine and so we did. Our daughter is fine.

Experience here.

That baby will kick the shit out of your wife.
Got that T-shirt

If you have subs suppressed on a private range go for it.

Not kidding.

Oh the wee ones also do not like spotlights much iether.

Sound travels through liquid pretty well. You’re risking damaging a babies ears before it has a chance to do stupid shit on its own because you can’t wait 3 months...
Amen. If my wife was preggers again I'd make sure she had a brand spankin' new suppressed precision rifle with more than enough copper solids to last the duration of the pregnancy.

You can never be too safe. It's for the baby.

Personally I would never recommend a fetus be exposed to high levels of sound. They can hear at some point, and 6 months might be past that point. Example, a friend's wife was pregnant. He would put his acoustic guitar against the womb, and play songs. After the child was born, the primary song my friend played was his daughter's FAVORITE song as a child.

I would not take a chance, just wait six months. Or, as suggested, use a .22, preferably with a silencer. Also could just dry fire, that would give her the basic skills.

Not a dr. But I personally would wait until after the birth. No reason to shell shock your un born kid.

A 5.56 can create spl in the 155-160 db range.

84EC0B6F-022B-4539-8A9B-37047C510263.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty much banged the shit out plenty pregos in the past. Their kids ended up just fine. Can't see how firing a rifle will harm them.
All this is non-scientific findings of course....just real world experiences.

That kids going to come out deafer than a rotten stump, or at least have a bad case of tinnitus.

I've shot my AR using my truck tailgate as a bench and blown out the tail light bulbs from the muzzle blast.

Pretty much banged the shit out plenty pregos in the past. Their kids ended up just fine. Can't see how firing a rifle will harm them.
All this is non-scientific findings of course....just real world experiences.
Get some pussy and head at the same time huh?

Maybe that’s why people turn out gay, too much dick in the womb.

Reactions: Ravenworks
not a doctor or anything like that i do have to wonder if sound travels through water as well as it does would you be hurting the ears of a developing baby ? I have no way of knowing either way mostly just a question . If a whale can detect another whale singing in the ocean from hundreds of miles away through water that gun shot must sound really loud a few feet away .

not a doctor or anything like that i do have to wonder if sound travels through water as well as it does would you be hurting the ears of a developing baby ? I have no way of knowing either way mostly just a question . If a whale can detect another whale singing in the ocean from hundreds of miles away through water that gun shot must sound really loud a few feet away .
I'm skeptical. I have nothing scientific to back that up though.

When I float on my back in a pool with my ears under an inch of water I can't hear a damn thing other than muffled voices. By observation, most of the higher frequencies are lost to the surface of the water and only lower frequencies remain. Seems more effective than ear protection. The sound above surface might be lost due to the sheer volume of water in the pool. Then again, if I get water in my ear in the shower I can't hear a damn thing. Who knows.

A .223 might run 165db at the muzzle, and that drops with distance. Add a few inches of water and its probably well within "safe" levels. Unless there are other factors at play, I'm doubtful shooting would cause any harm. Then again, maybe developing ears function differently than adult ears. Who knows. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Reactions: acudaowner
You guys are forgetting the part about the woman getting the shit kicked out of her with each shot.

They hear everything including soft music loud dogs .

Maybe that's what's wrong with millennials who have boomer parents. Parents went to too many Led Zeppelin concerts and that rattled the unborn baby's brain. Guess I'm fortunate enough that I'm a millennial who has genX parents instead. :D

Not a real doctor, but I dabble in amateur gynecology as much as possible 😜

My babies mama ( now deceased) 😣 and I did lots of plinking with .22 pistols & rifles while she was preggers with my daughter. Daughter turned out awesome, and she loves to shoot. 👍

Reactions: Ravenworks
Maybe that's what's wrong with millennials who have boomer parents. Parents went to too many Led Zeppelin concerts and that rattled the unborn baby's brain. Guess I'm fortunate enough that I'm a millennial who has genX parents instead. :D
Hummm !?
I‘m a boomer parent @ 68 , my daughter is 39 , not sure if she’s considered a millennial or genXer ? She digs weapons & my like for 60 & 70’s music , so her brain has been rattled in more ways than one ! I saw Zeppelin the day after getting out of the Navy 😉
Gave her a Sig P-220 in 45 cal. for her 21st BD , and this Christmas 🎄 shes’ getting a Colt AR-15 with a Steiner scope. Let the music and noise begin 👍

Hummm !?
I‘m a boomer parent @ 68 , my daughter is 39 , not sure if she’s considered a millennial or genXer ? She digs weapons & my like for 60 & 70’s music , so her brain has been rattled in more ways than one ! I saw Zeppelin the day after getting out of the Navy 😉
Gave her a Sig P-220 in 45 cal. for her 21st BD , and this Christmas 🎄 shes’ getting a Colt AR-15 with a Steiner scope. Let the music and noise begin 👍
The pew accepted range for millenial equates to roughly kindergarten- not yet legal to drink on September 11th. So that would make her one of the older millenials. There is a big difference between older millenial vs the young ones.

Hummm !?

My Grandma was at Woodstock '69 when she was only 14. She was also pretty close to the front row when Lynyrd Skynyrd played at the Oakland Coliseum.

The pew accepted range for millenial equates to roughly kindergarten- not yet legal to drink on September 11th. So that would make her one of the older millenials. There is a big difference between older millenial vs the young ones.
Think she turned out O.K.
Pro 2a and loves the orange man & firearms. Good shooting buddy & daughter ...plus she buys me different beers that I usually don’t get !!👍

Attachments

• 245219B4-0649-470D-B6C3-C52C57D0B309.jpeg
    245219B4-0649-470D-B6C3-C52C57D0B309.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: LeftyJason
Decision should be made on a individual basis. If it’s relaxing to you, go for it. If not, dryfire.

Sounds like a typical marriage flame out from the woman's point of view.

Sex=stressful
Dryfire=hand job
who the hell finds sex stressful?
Ah get it, you gave her your credit card afterwards.

I've shot my AR using my truck tailgate as a bench and blown out the tail light bulbs from the muzzle blast.

Well I think we can all agree that it was pretty stupid to direct muzzle blast towards your tail lights.