• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Rifle for Sako TRG-42 338

PotatoeTactical

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2024
Southern Idaho
Hi all,

New to the forum but been a long time lurker over the years. I am about to acquire my childhood rifle, a Sako TRG 42 (2013) 338 Lapua at a local shop in a few weeks and I am looking for a good training rifle to go with it. Searched for training rifles for 338 and could not find anything that answered my question.

I do have a ZevTech LFAR that I put together as “the M110 we have at home”, but I am totally new to longer ranges (1km plus).
Would a Tikka in .223 serve me better or would the Zev Tech .308 (1:10 twist, 20” Bartlein, 175gr SMK, .48moa) be a more cost-accessible way to train longer ranges without the 7/shot price tag?

Any other recommendations for a cartridge that shares similar wind/drop to the 338 Lapua that is more accessible?

Thank you,
PT

This would give you the ergonomics of the TRG, pick your cartridge.
Really, it depends on the distance and your typical atmoshperic conditions on whether to tun .223 or .308.
For example, where I live, 15 MPH winds are almost a daily occurrence and my range is 90 degrees from the prevailing winds, so shooting a .223 sucked.
I would still primarily choose either the .223 or .308 for the long barrel life, though a handloaded 6.5 swede is hard to beat.

Reactions: PotatoeTactical
This would give you the ergonomics of the TRG, pick your cartridge.
Really, it depends on the distance and your typical atmoshperic conditions on whether to tun .223 or .308.
For example, where I live, 15 MPH winds are almost a daily occurrence and my range is 90 degrees from the prevailing winds, so shooting a .223 sucked.
I would still primarily choose either the .223 or .308 for the long barrel life, though a handloaded 6.5 swede is hard to beat.
Hmm I have not seen that T3X sporter before, that would be a fine trainer as it shares more than a few features that the TRG has, especially since I have Redding bushing dies for 6.5 Swede, .223 and .308 but do not own a 6.5 yet.
In regards to it being a trainer, would I have to match my 338s velocity and Bc or just the trigger time at longer ranges and using the scope(s) be sufficient?

6.5 or 308 trainer is better for recoil. A .223 is too light. The exact round you pick, think about barrel life, and available training ranges. A 308 gives you double the barrel life, which is one thing to consider.

Hmm I have not seen that T3X sporter before, that would be a fine trainer as it shares more than a few features that the TRG has, especially since I have Redding bushing dies for 6.5 Swede, .223 and .308 but do not own a 6.5 yet.
In regards to it being a trainer, would I have to match my 338s velocity and Bc or just the trigger time at longer ranges and using the scope(s) be sufficient?
You could probably get very similar external ballistics with the 6.5 swede, and the 156 grain EOL bullet, at least to 1000 yards, it would require loading to the capabilities of the action, most reloading data is very conservative, as the 6.5x55 was once chambered in the Krag-Jorgenson rifle, which was a pretty weak action with a single bolt lug.
Loaded to CIP standards really brings out the long range capabilities.
Really, the most important thing is the very similar ergonomics, especially if you pair it with the same make/model of scope.
The only downside to the old swede is the taper of the case, which results in frequently trimming your brass.

Unfortunately they don't import the t3x sporter into the US anymore. You will have to go used.

Another option would be a t3x varmint in a krg bravo stock. I have this setup in 223 to mimic my trg 22 in 308.