• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training rifle - Galil Ace

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    I am looking into buying a 7.62x39 semi rifle for sports purposes. I live in Finland so the Sako would be very nice to have but we have problems getting parts for the semi (RK) series.

Hence I am thinking of buying Galil Ace, which already has the rails for easy mounting and looks like a very nice piece indeed!

They both cost me an arm and leg but this my vision.

Do you have experiences about Galil ace? Not necessary but even better if you can compare it to Sako.

-maintenance (I have understood it is as easy as any other AK variant.)
    -features (sights, pistol grip, foregrip position and its grip)
    -trigger
    -possible aftermarket upgrades you have done (triggers etc.)
    -folding buttstock (I read it could get stuck?)
    -accuracy
    -surface, does it rust easy?
    -broken parts you have had to replace (all, incl. firing pins etc.)

Thanks for any and all replies!

I own one in 7.62x39. It's built like a tank, so not light, but I doubt you'd easily break anything on it. I don't clean mine very often and she runs 100%. The top cover is VERY hard to reinstall, I use a rubber mallet. Accuracy is on par with Arsenal SGL AK's; some claim near 1" groups but mine doesn't shoot that well. No issues so far with folding stock and I fold it every time for storage. ALG is the only trigger upgrade I know of. The stock trigger is smooth and breaks cleanly, but it is heavy. Mine does not rust easily...very durable surface finish. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

As I have browsed around I have come to suspect that my country will switch to 556 in not so near future, but at some point. While I keep 7.62 in high value due to its better penetration, I guess it is better to move with the mass.

Galil ace with the present price tag of 3.2k will have its resale price collapse when that happens.

Do you think I should enter the .223 caliber with
    Galil Ace (3.2k)
    Sig 516 (2.3k)
    Barret REC7 (2.8K) or
    HK MR223 (2.9k)?

Last edited:
    I had the original Galil in 223. It didn't like steel cased ammo. What's the point of having an AK pattern rifle if you can't shoot the cheap stuff? I sold it. ARs are light, accurate and function well. I don't see the point in going elsewhere.

Reactions: Near miss
    Im no HK fan, but at those prices I’d take the HK every time. Accuracy will likely be the best of those options and definitely better than the ACE.

Reactions: Near miss
    I had the original Galil in 223. It didn't like steel cased ammo. What's the point of having an AK pattern rifle if you can't shoot the cheap stuff? I sold it. ARs are light, accurate and function well. I don't see the point in going elsewhere.

I agree. ARs are light and they can be made very reliable. Although Ace is quite light at 3.4kg/7.5lbs.
    I am leaning heavily on the AR side, Ace is out. Blazin also recommended CZ Bren 2, which I will check out. It looks like barrel length is quite short on it.

Im no HK fan, but at those prices I’d take the HK every time. Accuracy will likely be the best of those options and definitely better than the ACE.

Thanks. I have also understood it is very good. Good accuracy would really be useful, so that is a big plus in my book.

It looks like HK weighs around 3.9kg/8lbs while Sig is 3.3kg/7.3lbs. Barrett is 2.7kg/6lbs which is really light. CZ is 2.68kg/5.9lbs but it has 14" barrel

Does anybody have some words about the Barrett and its track record? It sure looks good, light AR with a piston.

Can anybody explain to me why HK is so "heavy". Does the HK have a thicker barrel or something?

Having carried AKs I have no problem with the weight and I see weight as handling bonus but I'd like to take the advantage of the ARs lighter platform. Well, preferably in short stroke piston form.

As I have browsed around I have come to suspect that my country will switch to 556 in not so near future, but at some point. While I keep 7.62 in high value due to its better penetration, I guess it is better to move with the mass.

Galil ace with the present price tag of 3.2k will have its resale price collapse when that happens.

Do you think I should enter the .223 caliber with
    Galil Ace (3.2k)
    Sig 516 (2.3k)
    Barret REC7 (2.8K) or
    HK MR223 (2.9k)?

Id add the Styer AUG to that list depending what your use case is.

Id add the Styer AUG to that list depending what your use case is.
    It is slightly under minimun length for my license and I cannot try one without a long journey. I would also prefer to be able to use AR15 style mags.

Guys, IF I was stupid enough to put 4.4k on a semiauto rifle, would I regret buying the scar 16s?

How does it fair against these other options? I am not much worried (lying here) about the price, but after all I will own the rifle for decades.

It is slightly under minimun length for my license and I cannot try one without a long journey. I would also prefer to be able to use AR15 style mags.

They do make one here that takes AR mags- has what they call a NATO stock. I would think you could get a longer barrel (they do have 20" barrels as well) but without knowing your laws thats all just a guess. To answer your other question- I sold my SCAR16. I didnt think it did anything better than an AR to justify the additional cost, and I say that as someone who if I could only have one rifle it would be my SCAR-17.

They do make one here that takes AR mags- has what they call a NATO stock. I would think you could get a longer barrel (they do have 20" barrels as well) but without knowing your laws thats all just a guess. To answer your other question- I sold my SCAR16. I didnt think it did anything better than an AR to justify the additional cost, and I say that as someone who if I could only have one rifle it would be my SCAR-17.

There are two Steyrs being sold at the moment here. Other one is too short and the other one was an airsoft gun, probably too short also ;) Not very popular so probably hard to customise and get a new stock for.

I think I get what you say about the Scar. I have also read other comments like that about 16 (not worth it) and 17 (worth it). Will pass on it.

I guess it is MR223 then? It should also be the most accurate of these options. Can anyone here tell my why Barrett would be a bad solution? I guess it is just not that of a finished product?
    --I searched on the forums some and it looks like with the price points I have the MR223 comes out as a winner.

match..

Last edited: