• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Training rifle system

CCCP2k

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Canada
I am looking to get myself a rifle with scope for training. Heavy calibers I have make big holes in my wallet and reloading takes forever. So I am thinking of cheaper alternatives.
Would you kindly recommend a setup: caliber, rifle, scope?

So far I can not think of anything better than a precise bolt action rifle in .22 LR. This would give me a lot of rounds for less money. I could play with wind on 200 yard range.

What do you think?

Check the Rimfire section.

Lots of people using .22LR for training/practice.

Having done a lot of personal training with the .22LR, as well as some youth marksmanship instruction; I have some ideas on the subject.

The first one is that using a precision rifle may be more expensive than the task requires.

The key to instructional effectiveness isn't absolute accuracy, it's consistent accuracy. Really, the key here is to make all the equipment issues consistent; so the only true remaining variable becomes the shooters themselves. Whether that consistency is a consistent .5" or 1.5" is not the point; what is important is the ability of the shooter to see whether they are shooting to a consistent standard, improving, or degrading.

Use the same ammo, and try to keep as many other conditions the same as possible.

Greg

That's what I do. I picked up a Savage with the fluted barrel, accutrigger & scope for $169 when Dicks opened & have a 65 yard range in the back yard. Using cheap ammo I shoot 15-25 rds on warm days. I I take it serious just as if I were behind a 308 & get 10 shot groups I can't put my finger in. A nickel a round beats 30 nickels a round.

A .22 rimfire or a 5.56.

With the right bullets and twist you can get LOTs of effective training with the right combination out to 1,000 yards with the 5.56.

One of the best things about .22 - since the recoil impulse is so slight, yet the same rules of marksmanship apply (building a position, squared shoulders, straight trigger press, recoil straight back) one can watch the crosshair pre-shot, at the break, post shot - if the crosshair moved - it was on you.