• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training rifle

Blinks711

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
So I am working on a training rifle for my 9 year old daughter. She is familiar with the fundamentals and it is time to move into a bigger platform from the pellet gun and squirrel rifle. Any opinions on the SAVAGE MARK II FV-SR, 22LR, 16.5" THREADED BARREL. It is cheap but I don't want to buy something she will outgrow quickly. Thoughts?

I would suggest you stay away from anything close to a full sized right or a "shortened and/or lightened" full sized rifle and get a dedicated youth rifle like ones that Henry, Savage, or Cricket make. My son was 8 when I got him a Henry Youth and he shot it till he was almost 12 and he is now 15. With a true youth rifle he was able to shoot properly it was the perfect size for him. Large sized or trying to make a basically full sized rifle to fit your daughter would limit her to shooting only from the bench and not offhand, sitting, kneeling etc. the LOP would be perfect for her and since all of the mentioned rifles are single shot she won't be going all Rambo wasting ammo. When she out grows it you can sell it and at least break even.

Also never ever ever get a scope or red-dot till she is really good at irons

scopes and dots are crutches

if you can shoot well with irons you can shoot well with anything.

I think you are right on the full sized being a bit too much to handle. I need to go through the cabinet back home a dig out the Marlin buckaroo I shot when I first started at 5. I like the single shot capacity with the bolt action and iron sights. I should have thought of this in the first place instead of thinking she needs a rifle like dad's.

I think you are right on the full sized being a bit too much to handle. I need to go through the cabinet back home a dig out the Marlin buckaroo I shot when I first started at 5. I like the single shot capacity with the bolt action and iron sights. I should have thought of this in the first place instead of thinking she needs a rifle like dad's.
That's a perfect first rifle
may be a little hard to shoot offhand at fist be she will grow into in short order and when the time comes you can scope it

Agree completely with the Marlin Buckaroo. I'm sure sorry I sold the one I had my kids learn on. I never thought about grand'kids at that time when I sold it.
Guess I'll be looking for one in another year or two.

Good luck finding one these days! Some time ago I was searching for one out of nostalgia and they are more rare than hens teeth. I don't think anyone gives them up anymore and it seems marlin hasn't produced the single shot youth model in an age. I think I shot mine daily for about 5 years straight. Still remember how long I could make a brick of shells last and what that little rifle taught me.