• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Transfer Fees.....

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    I recently had my local FFL transfer a can that I had purchased from TBAC.

When I went to pay for the transfer and the tax stamp, I was surprised that the cost was as much as it was.

In your experience, what is the going price for a transfer fee? Note, I'm looking for fees on NFA items.

Thanks,

my local shop is $150 for NFA items......ive seen prices anywhere from $75-200.

50-100 bucks is the norm... That sot doesn't pay for itself. Did they help you with the form 4s to submit?

Old dealer was $60 for NFA transfer. New dealer is $50

what did you pay?

I haven't submitted a form 4.

I won a cert last spring. I called TBAC and told them what I wanted and then paid for it.

TBAC sent it to my dealer.

I went in, they told me I needed to create a Silencer Shop account and upload my trust.

I did this.

I then went back in and uploaded my prints at the kiosk. Guy told me I pay the tax stamp on the Silencer Shop website.

Went home, couldn't figure out how to pay the tax stamp.

Went back in to the shop today, told them what was happening, and I paid them my transfer fees and tax stamp fees.

He asked me what email address I used for my Si Shop account and he wrote it down.

I'm hoping he takes care of the form but this is only my second NFA item.
    My first can was in stock and my wife took care of all the details as she bought it for me for an anniversary gift. (Yeah, she's pretty fucking awesome.)

Reactions: lash
    $75 is the norm here for NFA. Friend w/ shop says thinking about uping to $100 given the hassle.

I won a cert last spring. I called TBAC and told them what I wanted and then paid for it.

I went in, they told me I needed to create a Silencer Shop account and upload my trust.

I did this.

I then went back in and uploaded my prints at the kiosk. Guy told me I pay the tax stamp on the Silencer Shop website.

Went back in to the shop today, told them what was happening, and I paid them my transfer fees and tax stamp fees.

He asked me what email address I used for my Si Shop account and he wrote it down.

My first can was in stock and my wife took care of all the details as she bought it for me for an anniversary gift. (Yeah, she's pretty fucking awesome.)

If someone else is doing the hard part then expect to pay for it. It's tedious af. Btw you def better look it over it's your can and your stamp, if they filled it out wrong it's also more of your time you will be waiting. I usually fill out my own forms to be safe

Here in Central Florida the fees have typically been $100 for NFA transfers no matter where I looked.

Paid different in different states.
    Georgia-50 (12 years ago at least)
    Texas- 50
    Ohio- 100 (he took pics and printed them as well as did fingerprint cards, and mailed it in once I was satisfied everything was correct info wise)

Local shop stopped charging me after a while. We do a lot of trading he knows he’s getting the better end of the deal and I keep coming back so he basically stopped charging transfers. Any deal he brokers for me earns him 10%, I just did two form 4 p2p transfers through them. Keeps people coming back.

He was charging $20, and takes care of all the prints and paperwork.

$25 for a regular firearm, $35 for NFA as it takes them additional time for the paperwork (assuming i bought it elsewhere and using the dealer just for the transfer). If I buy a NFA item in stock $0 additional. Now of course up here in Wa you can get idiot FFLs (charging $100+ to transfer a firearm) - just avoid those bozos.

Ive never paid a single fee to any NFA dealer when picking up my can. All my Form4 I purchased through Silencer Shop, paid the can price plus the $200 stamp (or no $200 when SS runs sales that include the $200 stamp). When I get the call to pick up my can at my local NFA dealer I fill out a background check, pass it and they hand me my can and walk out. Zero dollars paid. Thats been on 6 or 7 cans now....Thats all included when you buy a can from Silencer Shop....

My FFL charges $100.00 if you buy online and have the can shipped to them. They used to be $35.00 and if I bought online, I'd slip them some cash to make up for their lost profit. If I buy a can from them, they waive the fee, but they make up for it with a little profit on the can they sell me. They're friends of mine and really good people, so I want to support them.

Last edited:
    I bought my can from the Silencer shop and picked it up at another gun shop.
    I paid for the can, tax stamp, a gun trust and paid the price of the can and the trust. It was all done through a kiosk. No additional charges. When I picked it up, I filled out the transfer form, showed my CHL and walked out with the can. No transfer fee.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
    Ouch.

I guess I'm lucky, I only have 1 commercial can and the shop owner didn't charge me anything for the transfer when I filled out the paperwork or picked it up.

I think I was their first NFA transfer though. Regular transfers were $35.

75-100 when I lived in MI (none if through Silencershop).
    So far am looking for one North of Houston, local gun shop told me $150 and I told them they just lost my business because I am going elsewhere and hate being ripped off..

I did this.

This is all pretty normal when you buy from someone else, and have it shipped to your dealer. They have to babysit it now. Had you bought it through Silencershop, you’d have paid nothing.

The dealer can pay the stamp also(and then bill you),its an option they choose when assigning. If you couldn’t find the stamp on the website, makes sense they’d collect it from you. Silencershop will be attaching their own check to your F4 for mailing. That’s how you get tracking.

The $25 is Silencershop’s document fee which is billed to the dealer, and then passed in to you.

He asked for your email so he could assign the serial number to you/your account at Silencershop. Silencershop automatically generates your form 4. You’ll receive it via email in a day or two for your review and signing. After that, your dealer will get the same document emailed to them, for their review/signing.

On another note, Silencershop has a tax stamp item on their site. You just buy them like any other item and they sit in your account.Silencershop plucks one out each time your dealer assigns a serial number to you.

Here’s the stamp for future reference. You can buy as many as you like.

Last edited:
    This is all pretty normal when you buy from someone else, and have it shipped. To your dealer. They have to babysit it now.

the $25 is Silencershop’s document fee.

He asked for your email so he could assign the serial number to you/your account at Silencershop. Silencershop automatically generates your form 4. You’ll receive it via email in a day or two for your review and signing. After that, your dealer will get the documents emailed to them, for their signing.

On another note, Silencershop has a tax stamp item on their site. You just buy them like any other item and they sit in your account.Silencershop plucks one out each time your dealer assigns a serial number to you.
    That's an interesting thought......Wouldn't it be cool if the ATF ever got around to issuing bulk qty's of Stamps to firmly established businesses like Silencer Shop so tha they could approve and issue approved Form 4's in a fraction of the time that it takes the ATF. :unsure:

I know. Dreaming. It's the US gubmint. It'd never work. :rolleyes:
    Ever had to replace/update a US Passport in a hurry ? I had to once. 36 hours start to finish as I recall.