• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Transitioning from 77gr SMK to 77gr TMK

towerofpower93

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
Finally burned through all my 77gr SMKs and picked up 2,500 of the TMKs for DMR and long range 3 gun going forward.

My 77gr SMK load with 8208 falls right in the 23.0-24.0gr sweet spot (23.6gr, to be exact) nearly everyone running 77s at ~2.260" OAL seems to also find in their load development.

For those who've made the transition, did you end up at the same charge weight or have to go up/down a tenth or two to get back in the velocity and accuracy node?

Down slightly. 22.4gr @ 2550 is where I ended up. 18" barrel. This is out of an AR...I've never shot them from my bolt .223s.

Thanks.

Loaded up 100 last night as I have three different rifles I'll be using these new 77s in: an 18" DD, a suppressed 10.3" Colt 6945, and a 5.56 Saiga I had chopped down to 12.5" for an AK102 clone build.

The 77gr SMKs shot great in all of those previously, so we'll see how the TMKs do in a few weeks when I get back to the range. Assuming no pressure signs I'll re-zero, get a descent sample size of velocity data, and adjust accordingly.