• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

THE MGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
S. TEXAS
Looking for a good hog trap checking and snake charmer handgun. (s.tx hogs and plenty of rattlers, i shot at least 6 this last summer, and thats pretty consistant.)
I have a 22magnum rifle that works great for this but having to walk back to the truck to grab my rifle VS having a light pocket carry pistol or small holster carry would probably do me worlds better. Im very used to carrying something on my hip. Iv'e been looking at a NAA 22Mag revolver pocket carry as well as diffrent models of the Tuarus Judge 45/410 revolvers.
Now this gun preferably needs to be able to take a beating of a truck gun and survive a weekend of sweat and field work. so i am looking at stainless steel.
I do like the retension holsters such as the blackhawk for riding in the tractor or on a ATV, but i believe that point is null with the NAA's size and ability to slip in a cargo or shirt pocket. Also i do like the fact that I don't nessasarily need hearing protection for a 22. (i would advise other to always wear hearing protection to their level of comfort and safety)
any ideas towards this are welcome. thank you for your time.

Edit (add) : also found Bond arms snake slayer.
your opinions on any of the listed is also greatly appreciated, again thank you all

Last edited:
No experience here with hog traps, but nearly every track I make is made with a S&W J-Frame (.38 special) in my pocket. Forget the model number (its out in the saddle house in my leggins pocket) but it is the air weight hammerless model. It is that alloy and had kind of like a varnish sort of clear coat finish that rubbed off and chipped off in some spots from abuse but the metal underneath is still fine. I keep it in a tight little leather holster mostly in a leather pocket and has suffered no ill effects from weather. I wanted something I would sure enough feel comfortable putting a cow or horse down with was still out of the way and always with me. Never had to shoot a horse with it but I have shot a cow and three calves with it, one shot each. I don't know if your wanting the shotshell option but if is there with the .38 as I'm sure you know. I don't bother with the shot shells. It's always with you and a ton of fun to practice with on targets of opportunity, knots on logs, jack-rabbits etc. so when Mr. Snake makes the mistake of buzzing at you it is not hard to put that bullet right where you want it. I even headed a coyote off that was distracted chasing a baby pronghorn, and shot him through the lungs as he loped by about 20 yards away.

I shot one of those Bond Arms derringers with .410 shells in it, didn't get to try .45's, recoil with shotshells wasn't bad at all. I didn't feel the bigger bullet and big 'ol column of shot was a good tradeoff for me cause that 'little' derringer was alot bigger and more awkward than my little j-frame. Plus you have two shots instead of five. On the upside they're made in Texas and that's pretty cool!

I've shot a Judge also, and it was fun, but I don't want to be limited to hip-holster carry only, and I was left with the nagging feeling that I would be happier with a good N-frame size revolver chambered in .45 ACP or .44. On that note you might check out the Charter Arms Bulldog, I've never handled one but they may fit the bill.

Of course all my rambling is based on what I feel was right for me and me only. Hope you find the perfect solution for you!

You may consider the smith and Wesson governor. It cost more than the judge but shoots 45 acp as well as 45/410.

Do you have a handgun? I have used .22, .38, .44 Mag, and .45 ACP. I carry a LW Commander loaded with shot cartridges when fishing stock tanks for that cottenmouth that lurks the banks. The shot is quite effective, and there is no reliability issue with autos.

Last edited:
Do you have a handgun?
Yes, i have many. My favorite is my ruger 6 revolver in 22wsm. but the gun is too / big and heavy to carry on my hip all the time. I have a 22wsm rifle in the truck as well, but in my exp. by the time i get to my truck and take the gun out, the snake or varmit is gone. Im looking for a gun that perferably needs no hearing protection and fits right in the pocket or small OWB. so a 380 and below would be ideal for me, a 45 is way too loud for me, and seeing how if my worry about taking the time to go to my truck and fish out my gun is an issue, then fishing in my pockets for ear protection and then drawing my gun becomes argueably close.
now in the case of the turaus judge i can load bird shot 410 in the first cylinder or two for quick snake shot. but if im en route to check the traps i can bring some ear pros. (If its in the trap, it aint going nowhere, so i have time to readjust the cylinder to a 45 load put on hearing protection and shoot.)

what are you other guys using as ranch pistols?

How about a ruger LCR in 22mag? Light and packable. But I wouldn't shoot a 22mag in a handgun much without hearing protection, of course shoots in the field is much different that plinking.