• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Trauma kit advice…

hangunnr

Team Shutupnshoot
Minuteman
May 7, 2002
Flatlandia
Yes, I did a search and THIS thread came up. In it, QuikClot was mentioned but all I see it offered in are some pretty large strips. I would like to know if the BleedStop powder is good for small wounds. Fucked up and managed to run a blade about an inch deep into the soft tissue between my thumb and index finger. Ended up with a cut about an inch wide / deep. Didn’t have much on hand here if it had been any worse.

I will be putting together a better first aid kit for my home and vehicle.

Avoid powders as it may be difficult to properly irrigate at the hospital. Stick with the hemostatic gauze. The gauze must be packed into the wound to work most effectively, not just applied to the surface of the wound. Most bleeding can be effectively controlled with direct pressure, and possibly elevation. Maybe consider the Olaes bandage over a more traditional "Israeli" bandage as the Olaes bandage can be applied in several configurations. Olaes are typically do not have hemostatic additives but are useful on their own or to hold a hemostatic dressing in place.

Veinous bleeding, slow oozing, darker red bleeding is easier to control than arterial bleeding, spurting bright red blood. Arterial bleeding may require hemostatics and tourniquet s to control. Tourniquets are effective for appendage injuries but not for junctional or core injuries. Those can best be managed using dressings and bandages.Occlusive dressings are recommended for penetrating injuries to the chest to prevent air from entering the pleural space.

Check these out. They have tons of stuff for kits that might suit you.

We make a "ball" out of first couple inches out of quick cloth and start packing the wound working towards the heart. But yeah, you really need to pack it and then hold pressure for 3min. Like said before, most wounds direct pressure and elevation will work.

I’ve got a little different question for the emergency medics in the crowd.

Do the Quickclot fabric or Bleedstop powder work on people with hemophilia?

2 of my children have severe hemophilia and we are starting to do more and more outdoors-y stuff. They get medicine weekly so their small to medium bleeds are no problem. I’m just worried about being a few hours away from any sort of medical attention with a big wound.

There’s product/material questions, and there are concept/technique questions. Trauma care is very hands on, and is worth training for. Under stress, a lot gets forgotten until your brain learns to access that knowledge and make decisions under stress. I recommend anyone to take a Stop the Bleed class, for example. Or whatever equivalent is available in your area.

Odd that this thread just popped up this week. I just re ordered a bunch of supplies since my toddler had gotten into my kit and started using stuff on her dolls. I always buy lots of compressed gauze to keep on hand. It's unlikely you'll need anything else to control bleeding until ems arrives.
I do always keep quikclot and a few Israeli bandages for camping/hunting packs just in case.
Also I got a bunch of cheaper first aid supplies to make a "doll fist aid kit"
20240514_110740.jpg

Check out Refuge Medical for kits, seem to be good stuff and decent prices. I’ve bought a couple from them, the owner has some other businesses teaching first aid, one helping abuse victims and providing help after disasters as well. Seems like a good person/business to support.

Reactions: Devildog
North American Rescue is another good resource for supplies and complete kits. Military and first responders get a discount there as well.

Stop the bleed classes are recommended and depending on what kind of extra time you’ve got, a full EMT Basic class is worth a lot. The problem is, a lot of the skills learned are perishable, so if you don’t use it, you lose it. When I took a long break from doing paramedic shifts, it took a little while to get back into the swing. Doing 40 hours a week now on the side I’m back into it pretty heavy.

Pack a penetrating wound to the core or junction with hemostatic dressing, and tourniquet an extremity that continues to bleed despite direct pressure. Be sure to note the time a tourniquet is applied. Definitely know how to apply a tourniquet to yourself.

Reactions: powdahound76

2 of my children have severe hemophilia and we are starting to do more and more outdoors-y stuff. They get medicine weekly so their small to medium bleeds are no problem. I’m just worried about being a few hours away from any sort of medical attention with a big wound.

Lets meet up, have a whisky, and go over stuff in person if you want.
Can answer all the questions and then if you want, can do some age appropriate stuff with your kids too (pediatrics is my passion).
Having grown up with illness of my own that was moderately serious, by age 6 I was pretty informed and had a good idea of how to deal with it myself. For sure saved my butt a time or 3 and avoided EMS and loads of chaos. (Bad allergies ie anaphylaxis and really bad asthma)

Powders are bad. Last resort.

You can get the Quick Clot sport gauze to have a smaller piece of it vs the long pieces.

I will say between experience and teaching a class, extra gauze (the full 4 yd Z fold) is better than not enough.
Most basic wounds, even like the OP hand lac, do well with basic gauze and pressure.

Duct tape and coban make great pressure dressing tools.

This was another older thread that had some pretty good info in it.

Convinced me to get a TORK with combat gauze from North America Rescue for the grinding area at my work (with permission from the safety guy) after asking @powdahound76. Haven't had to use it. Told coworkers it's for catastrophic emergencies only.

Why you skeered of grinders bro?
😉

Good to have.
We keep one in each vehicle.
A rover for range bag, hunting pack, etc.

Why you skeered of grinders bro?
😉

Good to have.
We keep one in each vehicle.
A rover for range bag, hunting pack, etc.
20" grinding wheels 1"-2.5" wide at 7100-9800 surface feet per minute? That if you input an offset bad enough they might explode?
Or 1/2" id wheels that run at 30k rpm that one fool engineer decided to load a 4.5" wheel (max 7k rpm) and left a dent in a machine (wasn't me)?

My issue was with a corded non plunge base router. We now have a Milwaukee battery plunge base for cutting foam. Used it yesterday no issues.

Reactions: powdahound76
So are these infused gauzes temperature stable? Meaning they’ll last if left in a hot vehicle in the summer?

So are these infused gauzes temperature stable? Meaning they’ll last if left in a hot vehicle in the summer?
I dont have data on that.

Quick Clot might on their website.

I do know from friends that loads of it was used in the ME and got hot plenty of times before it was used.

Reactions: hangunnr

^^^ I would ask your doctor but about any kit should work. But anything is better than nothing. Knowing what you may have to deal with is the first part to being prepared.

I have been to a "Stop the Bleed" course. Highly recommed if you can find one.

Just about all quick clots will be effective at stopping a bleed. One big thing to remember is that all of that quick clot has to come out of the wound at the ER or doctor of choice. That scrubbing can be "unpleasant" so I would say that a Quick Clot would be my last resort (right before a tourniquet).

Of all you're dealing with is a gash from a knife or other unexpected cutting instrument, my suggestion would be direct pressure and pack the wound with gause and elevate if at all possible.

Now, it we're talking about much more serious injuries (like an arterial cut or gun shot wound) then, put on a tourniquet if possible and pack with whatever you have in your kit.

Big thing, be familiar with your kit (which ever you choose) Know what you have and how to use it. Keep it current, clean and ready.

^^^ I would ask your doctor but about any kit should work. But anything is better than nothing. Knowing what you may have to deal with is the first part to being prepared.

I have been to a "Stop the Bleed" course. Highly recommed if you can find one.

Just about all quick clots will be effective at stopping a bleed. One big thing to remember is that all of that quick clot has to come out of the wound at the ER or doctor of choice. That scrubbing can be "unpleasant" so I would say that a Quick Clot would be my last resort (right before a tourniquet).

Of all you're dealing with is a gash from a knife or other unexpected cutting instrument, my suggestion would be direct pressure and pack the wound with gause and elevate if at all possible.

Now, it we're talking about much more serious injuries (like an arterial cut or gun shot wound) then, put on a tourniquet if possible and pack with whatever you have in your kit.

Big thing, be familiar with your kit (which ever you choose) Know what you have and how to use it. Keep it current, clean and ready.
Stopping the bleed is gonna be where my wife comes in, actually. She’s a nurse practitioner with some prior ICU experience. My stepdaughter is an EMT now and is going to enroll in a paramedic course too. I’ll pick up some basics from them and take some sort of bleeding stop course if we start doing stuff away from mom and everything else

I don't have firsthand knowledge on long term storage, but QuikClot uses kaolin a white aluminosilicate inert mineral as a clotting agent. The gauze is dry. As long as the package is sealed, it should be ok to store in a hot vehicle.

The stated shelf life on the EMS dressing is 3 years. On Combat Gauze, it is 5 years.

https://quikclot.com/EN/Products

Reactions: hangunnr