• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Traveling to canada with thermal optics

Even though you can buy them in Canada I belive there may be an issue to take thermal optics out of the USA under ITAR regulations without an export permit.:

Export of Thermal Imaging Equipment or related accessories (such as manuals) is strictly regulated by the US Department of State in accordance with the guidelines of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). It is a major crime to ship or carry US manufactured thermal imaging devices outside the borders of the United States.
The Arms Export Control Act (22 USC 2778) governs the export of articles, services, and technical data identified on the U.S. Munitions List. All night vision equipment systems, components, goggles, and weapon-sights of Generation 2, 2+, and 3, as well as infrared artifacts, illuminators, and aimers, are currently identified as U.S. Munitions items.

Dan

Yeah that’s what I found odd is you can buy them there… oh well! Not worth the risk for sure. Gonna just leave the little unit behind. Appreciate it

Reactions: stefan73
Not without an export permit.
This is your answer.

Come into US with foreign stuff and it automatically comes under ITAR purview — e.g. if you buy a thermal in Canada, bring it into the US, you cannot bring it back out again without a permit.

Not that I am going to do this but are the permits attainable by normal folk, poor's ?
Yes, and it may not be that hard depending upon what you’re trying to leave US borders with. Just need to make sure you tell them specifically what you’re leaving with and be sure to return with it.

I haven’t done it myself, but I know a few who have. It appears to be easier to get approval if the unit(s) are non-US / foreign kit originally — e.g. you want to take an iRay out, since it was imported in the first place.

Reactions: stefan73
Call the Dept of State. There is often a streamlined process for personally owned units for personal use. If it is a high end defense article originating in the US, dont even waste your time.

Even though we left so much of that stuff to the Taliban it doesn't even matter.

Is this device worth the risk of having problems with border control? You can leave it with one of your friends. Devices such as thermal imagers are perceived as an addition to weapons. So I hadn't heard of a single case when border guards were allowed to pass the border or fly on an airplane with a thermal imager, especially RH25. Even when I was traveling in business class, with better flight conditions, I knew that I wouldn't have privileges regarding baggage. I've flown across the Canadian border many times. Unfortunately, I often left my stuff at home and didn't send it to the cargo hold.

Last edited:
I’ve looked into obtaining an export permit a couple of times for personally owned devices, and what I found is a completely byzantine tangle of laws and bureaucratic regulations that completely discouraged me from attempting it. There are like three different agencies that have their fingers in this, and all of them want to put you in jail if you fuck it up. Maybe calling the department of state directly would result in some kind of streamlined process, but that hasn’t been my experience with the government in most cases. There’s a reason L3 probably has 40 compliance lawyers on their payroll.