• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Traveling with ammo?

58blackflag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2012
SC
Hi all! I will be attending a training class next week in New Mexico which I will be flying to(from SC). I am trying to decide how to get my ammo there; to ship it ahead to my hotel or just fly with it. I read over the TSA's info page about flying with guns and ammo as checked luggage but I was curious about how others handle the situation...Do you check a bag with ammo in it or ship it ahead via UPS to your hotel wherever you will be shooting?
My only issue IF I ship ahead is how to get my brass home. The class concludes Sunday afternoon and my flight leaves early Monday AM so getting to a UPS store to ship my brass home will be next to impossible.
Any thoughts, experiences, or helpful info would be great! Thanks!

Re: Traveling with ammo?

Your brass will fit in a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box or multiple of them. USPS locations that have PO Boxes in them have an inside drop box that will fit some of the medium Flat Rate Boxes. Pick up the boxes when you arrive or pack them in your luggage on the way out there. Print a label at the hotel via PayPal shipping or the USPS site, have some packing tape to affix the label and drop them off through to slot. Yes packages that are greater than 13oz are suppose to be handed to the counter worker but I've never had my heavier stuff kicked back to me.

The easy way is to use a bag big enough to return the brass in on the plane. Not sure if they will have any issues with the residue. I went straight from a match one day to the airport to get on a plane wearing the same clothes and went through the "puffer" without any issues. Maybe someone familiar with the airline regulations can say of the gun powder residue on the cases or not. For goodness sake, there's a fired gun in the case why would they care about empty cases in your checked luggage. But then we aren't talking about reality, we're talking about people that make us take our shoes off for security...

Here is a link to a thread on another website regarding the same question:

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3793382.0

Flying with ammo is generally not an issue as long as the amount you require at the other end is less than 5 kg (11 lb). This translates to almost exactly 180 rounds of 175 gr .308 ammo in factory boxes (9 boxes). If you need more than that, you'll have to ship it.

Of course, your suitcase will then have 11 lb less "other stuff" you can put in it on the trip out and still be below the 50 lb weight limit for overcharges. Over 50 lbs is generally in the neighborhood of $125.00 extra, so shipping may be the less expensive option if total weight is an issue with the ammo included.

Obviously, the weight will be lessened (except for the brass) on the trip back if you shoot most of what you bring. I have flown many times with a rifle and ammo; it's not a big deal. If weight is an issue, I will bring a small carry-on for clothes, shoes, etc., to keep the weight of my checked bag (with the ammo) under the limit. I put the ammo, rear bag, tools, eye/ear protection, Kestrel, etc., in a medium-sized plastic ammo box, which I locked and put inside my suitcase. I've never had a problem flying this way. To be safe, it is also a good idea to speak with a representative from the airline you intend to fly as they may have some other useful info. My experience has been that there can be a pretty range of familiarity with the specific TSA rules from the individuals behind the counter at the airport. So be prepared to be patient and courteous if there's any friction.

As far as shipping ammo to a hotel, you better check with them first. Some hotels may not like that very much. If it is possible to do so, a better alternative would be to ship it to the site of the training class, or an individual located at/near the site that is affiliated with the course. Less likely to be a problem that way, and they can notify you that it arrived safely. The main concern with shipping ammo is that it gets there on time so you can use it during the course. Any delays and you might be screwed if you don't send it far enough in advance. If you go that route, check with the shipper well beforehand, so you know the estimated ship time. Then you can possibly allow an extra day or two in case there is a shipping delay.

Hope that helps.

i ship mine ahead of time. most airlines have a max of 300 rounds of pistol ammo and 120 rounds of rifle ammo.

Ok, well I'm taking 250 rounds. I guess I will talk to my hotel and see about shipping it to them ahead of time.

I believe all the instructors will be flying to the location as well. It's a Thunderbeast class being held in NM at the Blue Steel Ranch.

Does the airline need to look at the ammo, or can it be packed up and taped up in a cardboard box ahead of time? Or do I just need to let them know it's in the checked luggage ahead of time? I bought some ammo here in Tucson and am flying back to Denver tomorrow. I have the 20 round boxes inside a small cardboard boxed all packed and taped up nicely. This will be the first time I've ever traveled with ammo. I couldn't find a number for the UA rep at the Tucson airport to ask myself. Thanks.

Does the airline need to look at the ammo, or can it be packed up and taped up in a cardboard box ahead of time? Or do I just need to let them know it's in the checked luggage ahead of time? I bought some ammo here in Tucson and am flying back to Denver tomorrow. I have the 20 round boxes inside a small cardboard boxed all packed and taped up nicely. This will be the first time I've ever traveled with ammo. I couldn't find a number for the UA rep at the Tucson airport to ask myself. Thanks.
I've flown with ammo many times. The limit is 11 lbs, doesn't matter what it is. Each time I've flown it's been different; sometimes they ask to see the ammo boxes and sometimes they don't. However, I have never actually had them weigh the ammo but I know friends who have been weighed. Just have it handy in your suitcase to show them in case they ask and I wouldn't push the 11 lb limit.

They didn't care...didn't look at it, didn't weigh it...acted like the couldn't give two shits I had it in my suitcase!