• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Traveling with NFA weapons

Re: Traveling with NFA weapons

You need to file a ATF Form 5320.20 and receive approval (Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export NFA Firearms). Suppressors and AOWs are exempted, but most people do it anyway just to CTA. Apparently people who go to Knob Creek regularly put down on the form the whole year for travel so they can go in the spring and fall and only have to file one 5320.20 for that year.

I took some suppressors with me on a trip to Colorado (via truck) and did not fill one out. But I did go on the ATF website and printed out the information that suppressors were exempt, as well as copies of my form 4's.

Hope that helps.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

I found this thread over on BARF.com.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=211902

Perfect
thumbs_up.jpg

There was a good article on NFA weapon transport in the September issue of Combat Handguns. Just an FYI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to file a ATF Form 5320.20 and receive approval (Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export NFA Firearms). Suppressors and AOWs are exempted, but most people do it anyway just to CTA. Apparently people who go to Knob Creek regularly put down on the form the whole year for travel so they can go in the spring and fall and only have to file one 5320.20 for that year.

I took some suppressors with me on a trip to Colorado (via truck) and did not fill one out. But I did go on the ATF website and printed out the information that suppressors were exempt, as well as copies of my form 4's.

Hope that helps.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

I found this thread over on BARF.com.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=211902
</div></div>

The only thing I would add is that you can fax it to the ATF and they are usually pretty quick in returning it. I had an unscheduled trip two years ago and wanted to take a SBR and suppressor, after a phone call, the 5320.20 was faxed and returned the same day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I would add is that you can fax it to the ATF and they are usually pretty quick in returning it. I had an unscheduled trip two years ago and wanted to take a SBR and suppressor, after a phone call, the 5320.20 was faxed and returned the same day.</div></div>
Excellent...I was very curious about turn-around on the form, and was also under the impression they would not accept fax.

You said you were traveling by air, on a commercial airliner? The last time I left out of Seattle, the TSA inspector opened my case containing rifles and silencers after I went to the gate. When I was called back, the TSA and airport police wanted to know if I had a license (no), was I military (retired), was I a gunsmith (no)?

I told them the cans were made on an ATF form 1 and that no license was required. They did not seem to know what the form was when I showed it to them, but they eventually let the case onto the plane. Be ready to explain your firearms to unknowledgeable security personnel. They might also demand additional personal information from you.

Ranb

Im getting ready to fly out of seatac in the next couple weeks, probably with a couple supressors and maybe an AOW. Other than your forms and maybe a trust, did you have any other documents to show them, such as the ATF handbook or anything?

CJG

All I had was ID and ATF forms. The cans I had were all personally owned, if they were on a trust, then I would have had a copy of the trust and schedule A also. If this happens to me again, I might try to avoid showing the ATF forms to see if they allow the case to get on the plane. I think I will lose though.

What ATF handbook?

Ranb