• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Tree Saddles

jphil108

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2010
Does anybody have much experience with tree saddles for hunting? I’m interested due to the size and weight to carry into the woods instead of a bulky climbing stand. Seems to be mostly oriented toward bow hunters, has anybody here used one with a rifle?

I have one I am getting ready to try but no experience yet. Will report back this fall.

I spent 10 years in a saddle as a tree climber until I fucked up my back and had to have surgery and dissolve my tree service. They aren't the most comfy thing to spend all day sitting still with little to no movement. To me that would be the problem. Swinging around a tree with a chain saw I was at least moving around every few minutes to alleviate the pressure points and releave muscles and give them a break. You'll see us constantly readjusting the saddle to gain a few moments of comfort. Obviously the hunting saddles are different than professional climbing saddles but the concept is still the same with comfort hopefully being geared toward the hunting saddle. I have seen a few videos of the hunting saddles and have not had hands on one and I have no desire to research it either but I wouldn't want to hang out all day in one and being stuck in one stationary position.

Yeah they look cool in the pics, dude hanging out with his bow drawn. But it takes a lot of leg stamina to hold that position for more than a minute or 2. You have to have the right boots so the arch of your foot doesn't get fatigued from the pressure of your body being put on the arches whether it's a peg in a tree or a strap. I'd would also recommend high boots with good ankle support to help alleviate your body weight pressure on your ankles.

You also have to take into consideration your tie in point/anchor point. If it's not high enough then your angle will fight against you to get in to position. Less than a 30° angle while you are extended would be ideal. If you screw up your anchor point and you are at 45 or beyond, it's going to be a miserable day and/or time depending on how long you plan on being in the tree.

I can compare it to the cheap tailgate chairs that fold up into a bag. Sit in one for a few hours without moving and see how it feels. It looks to be about the same lack of support for your core.

With all of that said I have hunted out of my tree climbing gear, but I was able to put myself in advantageous positions in crotches of the trees so I didn't have to rely on the lack of comfort provided by the saddle. I basically had the saddle and climbing line in case I fell, I didn't have my body weight supported by the gear. Again, hopefully the hunting saddles are geared toward comfort.

I appreciate that, your perspective as a tree climber is what I’m looking for. I’m no stranger to wearing a harness or climbing but it’s been for fall protection from elevated platforms, not sitting stationary for much of the day while you work with your hands so I don’t think my experience is very valid. I’ve seen some folding platforms so you can stand and take the pressure off your legs but they seem to be almost as bulky as a climbing stand. With your rope work and climbing experience, would you think that the hunting harnesses are worth the money or better to go with service proven gear from the tree care industry? I’m worried that this is just another way to separate Me from my money.

Tetherdnation OR Aerohunter are the 2 best in the hunting saddle business IMO....i dont deer hunt but i use this lighweight gear & style for coyote hunting when the woods are to thick at ground level to see far enough and i just need elevation ...once you figure out your prefered way of climbing the tree as there are several ways to do that its great IMO.....Good Luck:cool:

Last edited:
Bought one of the new tropy lines. The sit drag/ RCH combo is way lighter and more comfortable IMO. I'm still getting the hang of it but I am enjoying it more with each hunt.

Tetherdnation OR Aerohunter are the 2 best in the hunting saddle business IMO....i dont deer hunt but i use this lighweight gear & style for coyote hunting when the woods are to thick at ground level to see far enough and i just need elevation ...once you figure out your prefered way of climbing the tree as there are several ways to do that its great IMO.....Good Luck:cool:

How long does it take you to get set up and in position with this? Have youset up in the dark Early in the morning?

i use a Lone Wolf hand climber i attach to my feet and a safety rope from the platform to myself in case it would slip away from my feet its still attached to me..this is my climbing piece i use while i am also attached to the tree with my saddle safety ropes as i climb & the platform portion of the set up when i get to height... i dont get to high maybe 10/15 feet.......i only hunt this way in the daytime early season mostly when there is a lot of green & i still have my dog on the ground with me....Good Luck! :cool:

Attachments

• 38752181_1953023111444486_7396627591513243648_o.jpg
    38752181_1953023111444486_7396627591513243648_o.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I appreciate that, your perspective as a tree climber is what I’m looking for. I’m no stranger to wearing a harness or climbing but it’s been for fall protection from elevated platforms, not sitting stationary for much of the day while you work with your hands so I don’t think my experience is very valid. I’ve seen some folding platforms so you can stand and take the pressure off your legs but they seem to be almost as bulky as a climbing stand. With your rope work and climbing experience, would you think that the hunting harnesses are worth the money or better to go with service proven gear from the tree care industry? I’m worried that this is just another way to separate Me from my money.

as far as the hunting saddles, i have no idea if they are worth the money. i have only seen a few videos a few years ago. the professional saddles will be heavy and bulky. but then again, it's been a couple years since i climbed and researched climbing gear. i do know the gear out now is different from the gear i used. the work gear also has metal that will make noise. i don't know what the hunting saddles have for construction materials. like i said in my first reply, i dont have any interest in researching them.

i used to buy most of my gear from here:

also keep in mind, you need a line and education on working knots and hitches. just because you watched a video on how to tie a friction hitch and you tried it on the ground, doesn't mean you tied correctly to ascend a tree. the hitches are not all the same either, the y have different characteristics.

i do have interest and i have done the research and if u intend to buy a tree saddle get a HUNTING tree saddle made by hunters for hunting from a reputable seller.... u wont be disappointed after proper instruction and practice at ground level...lightest & quietest hunting gear to carry and handle on the market for tree use....Good Luck! :cool: