• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 22 Barrel Length & Accuracy

adamwade

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
CA, United States
Hi Everyone,

I am seriously looking at getting a TRG22 and love the shorter 20", but would like to hear from some experience as to any accuracy difference compared to the 26".

I would be shooting at max 600y and have read that other than lower velocity, a 20in barrel often has less wip and can sometime be more accurate. Again, is this the case with TRG's?

Thanks,

Re: TRG 22 Barrel Length & Accuracy

You will neither gain nor lose accuracy over the other. You will only lose some velocity. 600 yards is no problem for a 20".

Josh

If I had been using a rear bag I would have shot way better at the benchrest 600 yard match in MO. It's a darn good shooter and there are many that enjoy shooting the 20" stick!

So, your saying with a shorter barrel and less barrel whip I can tighten up my group a little, LOL this is with the stock 26" bbl.
The upper left dot has 6 shots in it, and if you look at the next two shots, they would fall in the same group. Yes, I do have some horizontal dispersion, I will work on my rear rest a little. ya gotta love the TRG.
SScott
001-8.jpg

Awesome groups Sunnyside ! Is that 50 yards?
grin.gif
Just kidding !

Depending on the brand, barrel, harmonics I have seen some debate. Thought I would see what the TRG guys have to say. You put the hammer down on that one.

you could cut the barrel down to 16" and it would still be a shooter. if you so desire buy a long one and if you don't like it i will trade you the 22" 5/8x24 threaded one i currently have. mine is just sitting in closet because i had mine rebarreled to 7mm08.

Different loads are more or less accurate in different rifles with varying barrels lengths. The change of barrel length from 26" vs 20" inside 600yds will not inherently effect accuracy. However, decreased barrel length will decrease velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, your saying with a shorter barrel and less barrel whip I can tighten up my group a little, LOL this is with the stock 26" bbl.
The upper left dot has 6 shots in it, and if you look at the next two shots, they would fall in the same group. Yes, I do have some horizontal dispersion, I will work on my rear rest a little. ya gotta love the TRG.
SScott
001-8.jpg
</div></div>

I take it you have no adverse pressure signs with that load Scott?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I take it you have no adverse pressure signs with that load Scott? </div></div>
Not at this speed, I don't see pressure signs until I hit the 2750 range, I have been able to do 2730 with good results, but it's real borderline.
SScott