• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22 Barrel Length

Coopers7777

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
Im getting ready to bite the bullet on a new TRG-22 and am wondering what folks thoughts are on barrel length.

I'm leaning towards the 20", though I don't really have any justifiable reasons for this. If my timing is right, the gun/optics/can should arrive around the same time, and it will generally be wearing a Liberty Victory suppressor. This will add 10" to either rifle and though I'm certainly not looking for something compact, 55.5" LOA with the 26" barrel is pretty long (in my mind anyway!).

Are there any serious advantages/disadvantages to either? How about with and without the can?

Thanks in advance,

Coop

Re: TRG-22 Barrel Length

I am running a 20" barrel and love it. Shoots great. I think you will be more than happy with a 20" barrel.

As always, it depends.

If you'll primarily use the rifle on formal rifle ranges, you won't notice that your rifle is long. Generally speaking, the difference between a 20" and 26" 308 will be ~150fps. For ranges inside 600 yards, you'll never notice it. Beyond 600 though, a 308 can use every fps it can get - though 1000 is certainly doable with a 20 incher.

So...formal range shooting, a lot of which is beyond ~600 yards--> 26"

Woods, hiking, natural terrain shooting--> 20"

I've had a TRG22 in 26", and one in 20"( still have that one)......GREATLY prefer the 20", especially when I screw a can on the end.......and once you put a can on the end, you won't want to shoot it without the can.

BTW, I only lost about 100FPS between the 26" and the 20".

I also have a TRG22/260rem, with a 26" barrel, and I'm seriously considering chopping it off!

Will,

I have the 26" 260 TRG as well. What is the reason you would shorten your barrel to 20"

Gil Horsley
Atlanta

cut it to 18" if it will be wearing a can on the end.

I went with the 20"....shoots 150fps slower than my last rifle which was 24".....but with my can on there is about the same length....I love the 20"....overall length if you have a folder or the krg folder is less than a 16" AR

I decided against the 26 because once you add a can on there I was essentially immobile from the length....

Thanks for all the quick replies guys! Im going to go with the 20", I believe it will provide more accuracy then Ill take full advantage of for a while to come, and will be a bit more manageable.

I have a trg .260 and cut it to 21". As expected, it lost about 125 fps. It's accuracy didn't change, maybe even improved. But I like it much better, the handling and weight are significantly changed and I hunted with it this past season. It was still kind of a beast carrying high in the mountains on a multiday elk hunt, but not too bad. Some shorter mule deer hunts that involved less mountain travel it was a blast to shoot and performed great. BTW the new LRX 127 gr bullets are excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CooperS7777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the quick replies guys! Im going to go with the 20", I believe it will provide more accuracy then Ill take full advantage of for a while to come, and will be a bit more manageable.

</div></div>

Gotta throw a few TRG pictures in this thread
smile.gif
I recently picked up a 20" Sako TRG-22 and love the thing. It shoots way better than I can on any given day...

2r5s12s.jpg

25oxu01.jpg

Gill,
I'm not sure yet that I'm gonna shorten it, and if I do, what length I'll cut it to is up in the air. But, the reason will be much better portability and handling. Especially with a suppressor on the end.

I would like to re-thread the barrel to standard thread pattern, so I might as well loose a few inches of length will I'm at it!

Mine works great! 20" and I have taken it past 1000 yards. I am running 175 smk at 2650 fps. I carry it all over the place and folded without the suppressor on it rides to the left of my pack and sits between my belt line and the top of my head which allows me to move through heavy brush without hanging on everything. I had a TRG 42 and the 27" barrel was my comparison, I would never buy anything longer than 22" for my purposes (less than 1k match and hunting).

PB270004.jpg