• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22 Barrel Pitting

T.Defense

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2006
WV
www.tacticaldefense.net
I'm still crying. Switching out suppressors I decided to clean the TRG. I've read the posts of "to clean or not to clean" and land somewhere in the middle. Upon inspection of the barrel after a routine cleaning I noticed pitting in the barrel. I STILL CAN'T believe it!! Can someone tell me it will be OK, thats an easy fix, or its not a big deal to switch out the barrel or something in those lines! The weapon was a tac driver but was starting to open up a little so I cleaned it tonight and found the pitting. Might have a 1000+ rounds through the weapon. Please advise.

Re: TRG-22 Barrel Pitting

Need to know a lot more info other than "somewhere in the middle". What are you using to clean with..chemicals, ammonia based, are you leaving it in the bore, do you oil the bore? I know these questions are elementary in nature but it may help to diagnose your concern.

Rebarreling the TRG rifles is pretty basic. If that is something you are considering give Jered at APA (Patriot Arms) a call, he just finished my TRG-42.

Reactions: pabrousseau

one of the best shooting barrels i ever owned (18" douglas fluted) looked like a potato field in the bore w/hawkeye....but was way sub moa.

now, if there is pitting about the crown...a re-crown job is in order....otherwise dig all the copper out and shoot it to see how finicky the barrel really is, you may be just fine with a ugly barrel

Just called Beretta about a new barrel, no go. They don't do new barrels on TRG's.

As far as cleaning, I don't use brushes as per info obtained here although it was a controversial subject. I use the "KG" cleaning system. Occasionally some shooters choice. But based on what I read I needed to do more shooting than cleaning.

A pitted barrel will drive me insane!! I also have a bunch of carbon and crud on the crown (probably from shooting with the suppressor) The shooters choice or the KG will not cut through it, any suggestions on getting this gun straightened out would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
T. Defense

I had a heavy barrel .243 with a Shilen tube. Had a gouge about 10" in front of the chamber. Now, this was no ordinary gouge. It looked like a Kentucky pothole.

Shot like there was no tomorrow.

Take it out and see what it does. May be much ado about nothing.

david

That's discouraging, I also use KG products and the last thing I want is a pitted barrel because of it. You might want to give Jered a call, he uses KG products and knows a lot more than me on how to proceed from here.

Lets say I wanted to get this thing re-barreled. What barrels do you guys suggest, who do I send this to, how much are we looking at and finally will the barrel match the rest of the weapon or will it look like a shinny turd protruding from the stock.
Thanks,
T.Defense

You are really just looking at a rebarrel. They don't need anything else typically.

Price depends on how much you want done. Coating the barrel won't make it shoot better but it will look better.

I built myself one in 338 Norma.

hi

Try it!

I bought a parker hale m84 earlyer this year & when it turned up it had a realy rusty bit in the end of the barrel about 10mm down some other lighter pitting down to about 6" in!

The rest of the gun was mint & i didnt want to send it back as fairly rare to find one over here!

agread to "try" it with the shop i bought it off subject to it shooting Okish & them paying for the realy bad bid choped off & re crowned!

gave it a realy good clean with every solvent i had as it wsa mingin dirty & took it out for a try!

phGROUP.jpg

And here it is at 400yds

phgroupsjpg.jpg

I do wknow wht ur feeling tho it bugs the crap out of me that it has pitting in the tube BUT if i had a new barrel I cant see it shooting better then it does!

Andy

Can someone please post the link to the "clean or not to clean", and "shooters choice" & "KG methods"?

I would really like to learn more about this, and whether I'm doing things right or not. Sometimes the small things overlooked pose the largest problems.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here is mine prior to the pitting....</span>
eu0y8n.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Then here it is with the pitting.....</span>
eu0y8n.jpg

As you can clearly see the pitting is effecting everything!
I need to see how bad the pitting has effecting accuracy. That still will not change the fact that its pitted and I will ultimately have to get it re-barreled, I can't stand something like that in my weapons.
I'm anal, its a problem, my wife tells me often.

Jered:
Beautiful weapon. What barrel are you using? Can your company thread it to 18Mx1(Factory threads)as well?. I need it to be Black, and I like the flutes. PM me a time and cost if you would, we are FFL and SOT as well Tactical Defense LLC . Thanks for the responses.

To everyone:
I'm convinced that after shooting suppressed you should clean the weapon EVERYTIME it is fired if that is at all feasible. I have had two rifle barrel's pit in my collection over the last 30 years, I clean them all the same. The two I had pit both had suppressors on them. Just my 2 cents.

UPDATE

UPDATE
I just finished cleaning up the crown and its majorly pitted. It has to be the use of the suppressor and the blow back incurred. Like I said if you shoot suppressed you should clean much more often, like every time you shoot in my opinion. Problem is when you take off the suppressor to clean you just changed POI.
Anyway, new barrel time. What are the recommendations..
Krieger, Hart, another brand?
Thanks,
T. Defense

Re: UPDATE

Rock Creek, Broughton, Brux, Lilja, Schneider (read that David Tubb uses his exclusively)....the usual suspects....Whoever can deliver the fastest IMO

PM returned.
Our main barrel is a Broughton barrel. Their barrels are amazingly consistant and Tim North is a wonderful person to do business with. That being said all the barrels above to include Bartlein and Hart are great barrels and I have no issues using any of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EastBayRidge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a TRG-22 that APA just re-barrelled into a 20" with an LB brake. First rate job and shoots great. You're in very good hands. </div></div>

If you would post a pic. I would like to see how the TRG looks with a 20" Barrel.

I Talked with Jered today for about an hour. Very professional and very knowledgeable. He gave me the low-down on all the options and ways I could go. Lots to think about. The only thing I know for sure is I'm sending it to Jered to have him do the job
smile.gif

T. Defense

It might be worth bearing in mind that the pitting is probably induced by the products of combustion flowing back into the barrel if the rifle is stored with the mod on. No one has mentioned whether the rifle is stored with the moderator on. I've seen a good few barrels corroded badly via this mechanism and one barrel (on a steyr scout so no great loss) that had the moderator rusted solid onto it as it was never removed after shooting.

I now always remove a moderator after shooting and replace with thread protector. Then spray some light oil into the mod to prevent corrosion on return home and leave to dry in warm place.
1st round is sometimes smoky but as long as you don't overdo it (and remember LIGHT spray oil!) then no change in zero and a hapy rustless moderator.

Regards

Gareth

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: atreeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be worth bearing in mind that the pitting is probably induced by the products of combustion flowing back into the barrel if the rifle is stored with the mod on. No one has mentioned whether the rifle is stored with the moderator on. I've seen a good few barrels corroded badly via this mechanism and one barrel (on a steyr scout so no great loss) that had the moderator rusted solid onto it as it was never removed after shooting.

I now always remove a moderator after shooting and replace with thread protector. Then spray some light oil into the mod to prevent corrosion on return home and leave to dry in warm place.
1st round is sometimes smoky but as long as you don't overdo it (and remember LIGHT spray oil!) then no change in zero and a hapy rustless moderator.

Regards

Gareth</div></div> Moderator? When are you Brits gonna learn proper English?
smile.gif

Ok ok.... Suppressor. I'll change my usage from now on just so you guys can understand it. I'll also use 'color' and pronounce my Zs as Zeeees...;-)

Colonials eh?

Saw a .223 last week that the owner said wouldn't shoot. The crown was eroded so badly from the supressor (jeez that was hard)being left on, that it looked like the surface of the moon. The last 25cm (sorry 10 inches!) of the barrel were badly pitted.

Regards

G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.Defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EastBayRidge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a TRG-22 that APA just re-barrelled into a 20" with an LB brake. First rate job and shoots great. You're in very good hands. </div></div>

If you would post a pic. I would like to see how the TRG looks with a 20" Barrel.

I Talked with Jered today for about an hour. Very professional and very knowledgeable. He gave me the low-down on all the options and ways I could go. Lots to think about. The only thing I know for sure is I'm sending it to Jered to have him do the job
smile.gif

T. Defense </div></div>

Will do so once I get home in the next few days. Been out of state for a few weeks.

As promised:

P8293461.jpg

20 inch Broughton sendero contour with LB brake. Don't blame APA for the stock - that's my fault - the Krylon fumes made me do it.
crazy.gif

Shoots nicely - the brake means recoil isn't much different from the 26 inch barrel; also, for my taste, the balance is much better.

Five shot group during load development:

TRGTarg.jpg

Hello all.
Having read this post I would like to agree with previous posters and share my moderator experiences with you.

A group of friends and I have all experienced varying degrees of trouble with corrosion, barrels and moderators. Barrel pitting especially around the crown muzzle area and moderators corrosion welded on to the barrel are the two worst case scenarios, and an enormous amount of crap in the moderator being the lesser of the evils.
What we found was that the crap in the moderator was not solely unburnt powder residue, but was what we call "mod fungus" or Corrosivus fungalis Moderaratus to give it its proper name. This mod fungus could also be seen as crystalline growth on the crown of the barrel when, AND THIS IS THE REALLY IMPORTANT BIT!!!!!, the moderator was removed from the gun after it had been used and the moderator then left on the gun while the barrel had cooled down.
We came to the conclusion that after shooting the gun we were leaving a reservoir of hot corrosive gases in the moderator to be sucked into the barrel as it cooled , and the contents of that gas crystallised out to form the fungus, we were able to formulate a very simple cure for the problem.

After shooting remove the moderator from the gun... That is it.

Since doing this we have had no more problems with crap in the moderator, or damage to barrels.

Hope this helps you as much as it has helped us.

Regards

Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: atreeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be worth bearing in mind that the pitting is probably induced by the products of combustion flowing back into the barrel if the rifle is stored with the mod on. No one has mentioned whether the rifle is stored with the moderator on. I've seen a good few barrels corroded badly via this mechanism and one barrel (on a steyr scout so no great loss) that had the moderator rusted solid onto it as it was never removed after shooting.

Regards

Gareth</div></div> Moderator? When are you Brits gonna learn proper English?
smile.gif
</div></div>

They might not know english but they know what they are talking about.

The OP lives in a humid and wet environment. Shoot with the can on it gets hot as it cools off the air will condense and form moisture. Storing the gun with the can on is not a good idea.

Take the can off when you store the weapon. If you live in a humid area store the weapon in a safe with a dehumidifier or in a warm dry place, if you can't, clean the weapon after every use and push an oil patch down the barrel.

Cleaning or not cleaning is not only a consideration for accuracy but what type of conditions the weapon is going to be subject to. Some of my rifles go many rounds between cleaning unless something makes me or require me to do it sooner, like it getting wet.

I'm partial to HART barrels, very accurate, good people to deal with

(Carlos Hathcock had rifles barreled by Walley Hart)

best, Herman

Update.....
Well after checking current performance on my TRG I have found that the performance has definitely decreased do to the barrel pitting. My next step was to obviously get the barrel replaced. After much research I decided to go with American Precision Arms. Jered took extensive time to go over the information and discuss the different barrels, twist rate, contours, flutes vs. non-flutes, ammo selection, usage and shooting distance. After all was said and done we went with the 26" Broughton 5C SS Match Grade barrel with the #6 contour in a 1:12 twist. The barrel is getting threaded 18X1 to match up with our suppressor. We are then getting the action and barrel coated with a flat black so everything matches up. We also decided to go with Jered's barrel break in and guarantee for accuracy.
The entire process thus far has been painless and pleasant and we have been VERY impressed with the professionalism at American Precision Arms.
After the weapon is complete I will post some pics!

Regards,
T. Defense

Yes! Jered did an OUTSTANDING JOB on the weapon. More than I could have hoped for. Mark as well, did an excellent job with communications and follow ups through out the process. The rifle shoots and looks FANTASTIC as I got the whole package including the break in procedure, paint and zeroed in. I'm actually ashamed I haven't posted pics! I will work on them tonight and get some posted. I can't say enough good things about American Precision Arms, Jered and Mark!!!

T.Defense

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.Defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just called Beretta about a new barrel, no go. They don't do new barrels on TRG's.

As far as cleaning, I don't use brushes as per info obtained here although it was a controversial subject. I use the "KG" cleaning system. Occasionally some shooters choice. But based on what I read I needed to do more shooting than cleaning.

A pitted barrel will drive me insane!! I also have a bunch of carbon and crud on the crown (probably from shooting with the suppressor) The shooters choice or the KG will not cut through it, any suggestions on getting this gun straightened out would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
T. Defense </div></div>

Why wouldn't one use a brush to clean a barrel? Are the TRG barrels so special they require a special, non-conventional cleaning method????

Here are the pics that are WAY overdue! APA Did a phenomenal Job and I couldn't be happier. Thanks again to Jered and Mark.
14izar9.jpg

xgcj9w.jpg

zugqop.jpg

24uywcj.jpg

24phpc9.jpg

2wgw22f.jpg

15wc51y.jpg

Note that the test group was using Corbon's 168's however I got just as good of group with Hornady's 168 A-Max. My Handload's which are 168 Berger VLD's is just SLIGHTLY larger. The consistency of the gun is incredible. Can you tell I'm happy with the work APA did??!!! GREAT JOB!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.Defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just called Beretta about a new barrel, no go. They don't do new barrels on TRG's.

Thanks,
T. Defense </div></div>

Why wouldn't one use a brush to clean a barrel? Are the TRG barrels so special they require a special, non-conventional cleaning method????

</div></div> bumping in hopes of getting my question answered (have a TRG22 on the way)..

Flynn,
Nothing so special about the TRG barrel. The OP subscribed to a theory on barrel maintenance that rely on chemical cleaning, not involving the mechanical action of a brush in the barrel.

Some folks do this, some don't. It has nothing to do with it being a TRG barrel.

The pitting problems the OP faced were related to the use of his suppressor......and that could have happened with any brand of carbon steel barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flynn,
Nothing so special about the TRG barrel. The OP subscribed to a theory on barrel maintenance that rely on chemical cleaning, not involving the mechanical action of a brush in the barrel.

Some folks do this, some don't. It has nothing to do with it being a TRG barrel.

The pitting problems the OP faced were related to the use of his suppressor......and that could have happened with any brand of carbon steel barrel. </div></div>

Exactly. If you are not up for running a bronze brush down your bore you can always get the nylon brushes that IOSSO sells. I use their stuff exclusively for all my scrubbing and cleaning.

Josh

Lets say I wanted to get this thing re-barreled. What barrels do you guys suggest, who do I send this to, how much are we looking at and finally will the barrel match the rest of the weapon or will it look like a shinny turd protruding from the stock.
Thanks,
T.Defense
I have a new 26” 308 win barrel i would sell you. Factory Sako unfired. Threaded in factory metric.

Replying to a 12-yr old post with a WTS - priceless!

Do folks even read threads before the post in them? Never mind!