• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 22 Brass Ejection

Snipers

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
Brass ejection is rather anemic in my rifle. I have had quite a few occurrences where the brass does not make it out of the action (once every 15 or 20 rounds approximately). I use several brands of brass (no Lapua) and it occurs with all of them. I've had the extractor out and the ejector seems to have pretty good tension (but not as strong as a Savage).

What do others experience? Anyone else have this issue?

Re: TRG 22 Brass Ejection

I have had this issue before. It does not appear if I am aggressive with the extraction, quicker is better I have found.

I haven't experienced this with my TRG 22, rifle has seen mostly Lake City brass and Winchester. Only time I have had the brass not make it out of the action is when I pull back on the bolt very, very slowly when I was shooting off a bench so as not to fling the brass off the side. Even then it only happens rarely.

If your brass isn't making it out of the action, you need to work the bolt faster. The TRG's weak ejection makes this a necessity, but once you compensate for it, it isn't an issue.

Well - it looks like I'm not unique. I will remove the ejector and spring anyway. Maybe I can do a little something to get a bit more "zing" out of it. I suppose a well designed sniper rifle shouldn't fling brass(concealment), but smacking the bolt back isn't great either. There have been cases where the bolt-stop screw has cracked. Parts replacement is a "bitch" on these guns.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I have well over 3k through my TRG and have never had a peice of brass not fully eject. I dont run my bolt hard.

Re: TRG 22 Brass Ejection - update

Update:

I took the ejector apart and cleaned it. I didn't see any issues. I put it back together with no improvement. I started to play around with the spent cases; making sure there were no abnormalities in the brass. I took a hammer and gave a quick "whack" to the bottom of the brass (sans anything explosive of course) and I noticed that ejection improved considerably. All the brass I use was originally fired out of a M1A National Match. The M1A must have deformed the bottom of some of the brass during cycling. It's not really noticeable to the naked eye.

It's either that, or the brass I have must be a tad different from Sako spec (maybe a spring needs to be replaced too).

Now - I can draw the bolt back very slowly and it will eject the case. I'll see how it works. If it continues I'll buy a couple of new springs.

Have you guys ever notice the brass hitting your hand when running the rifle?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-DTeEdL6XY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-DTeEdL6XY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I never noticed it either until I took some video of me and another hide member shooting outs. We still don't notice it hitting our hands when we are shooting.

One of my shooting partners (sn is pviddy on the hide) experienced this with his new TRG 22. Out of 20 times maybe 3 ejected cleanly. The others remained in the action and were not ejected. Just purchased NIB a week ago.

We tried to manipulate the bolt multiple ways but the same result no matter what.

Comparing the two bolts and extractors, his tension was significantly less than mine.

I haven't had any problems with mine. I've had mine since '06. When was yours purchased?

I sent the gun back to Beretta for him so I'll update when it comes back.

Chris

I have a Trg ,and have owned many . They all have had the brass stay in the action at one time or another. I'm my opinion I blame the small ejection port that Trgs have. The brass will hit the edge and go back in from what I've seen.

I have noticed issues if I am at the bench and cycle the rifle too slow.
During normal operations my rifle does not seem to have issues. I compare it to casting a fishing lure, with the right amount of finesse you can make it work every time, and also without slamming the bolt back against the stop.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brass ejection is rather anemic in my rifle. I have had quite a few occurrences where the brass does not make it out of the action (once every 15 or 20 rounds approximately). I use several brands of brass (no Lapua) and it occurs with all of them. I've had the extractor out and the ejector seems to have pretty good tension (but not as strong as a Savage).

What do others experience? Anyone else have this issue?

</div></div>

My new TRG 22 is much like you described. I would like to have better extraction.

My first one had a pretty weak ejection and to be honest, I felt it was unacceptable. My second one is much better but does not throw the brass anything like my Rem 700s. As someone else mentioned, perhaps the thinking is that a tactical/match rifle should not hurl the brass 5 feet. My current TRG tosses the brass one to two feet when shooting prone depending on how quickly I cycle the bolt.

You could just get a stiffer spring or streach the spring in the plunger. I like the softer ejection on mine b/c when shooting in the winter I can catch the brass with my right hand before it hits the ground and melts the ice and then freezes back into the damn stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could just get a stiffer spring or streach the spring in the plunger. I like the softer ejection on mine b/c when shooting in the winter <span style="color: #006600">I can catch the brass with my right hand before it hits the ground </span>and melts the ice and then freezes back into the damn stuff! </div></div>
+1
I didn't want to post this without backing it up with video , but I too can eject a piece of brass and catch it before it hit the ground, mind you , I am not cycling a new one in the chamber, just cycling one out during load developement.
I don't want too strong of an ejector because I don't like chasing my brass all over hell, as well as I don't like the big dings in the case mouths.
I'll have my second TRG in a week or so, at that time I will have a better idea of how different bolts act.
SScott

I regularly get brass flipping back into the port on top of the same round with my 22. I agree with ForwardEyes that the small ejection port doesn't help. Speed should not determine whether brass ejects.

I have a spare ejector parts kit on order so we'll see what happens. If I run the bolt relatively quickly I can get 100% ejection. I knew the ejection wasn't going to throw brass 4-6 feet like my Rem700 before I bought it though.

I can move the bolt snail slowly on my TRG42 and it will extract perfectly and more strongly 100% of the time. One difference here is that I only use Lapua brass for .338LM.

Perhaps Remington and Win brass heads are a slightly different dimension than Lapua. I have a few pieces of Lapua brass around I can test with.

ETA: Tried LC Match, Winchester (what I use), Rem and Lapua No difference. If I run the bolt quickly enough it will eject. If I run the bolt too slowly one of two things happen.

1. Drags on the side of the receiver and drops on top of next round or empty magazine just before it clears the opening of the ejection port.

2. Drags ..... and ejects at too much of an upward angle and hits the top inside of the ejection port and falls back into the action.

Next time out I am going to have to try and get mine to not properly eject the brass, by the way I use Lapua brass but have shot several rounds of 118lr and had no probs.