• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing TRG-22 Hunting

Justus

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2002
Rep. of South Africa
Here's a couple of shots from my hunt last week.

P6170069.jpg

A really big baboon I shot at 191 yards

P6200093.jpg

An impala I shot at around 150 yards off the bipod, you can see the entry wound just above his nose.

P6200095.jpg

Another impala that stepped out 10 minutes later, shot went in right under the jaw in the neck, again off the bipod at around 150 yards.

Lugging the TRG around can get pretty tiring but well worth it you know every shot is going exactly where you put the cross hairs.

Re: TRG-22 Hunting

Brother you cant post that stuff here. Making too many here envious! Keep the pictures coming.

Lekker! But at those distances you hardly need to be lugging a TRG around!

Cheers

Thanks for the comments, I have a ton of pics of kills with the TRG, give me some time to get them uploaded and I'll post them.

SMACK, anytime you're in RSA look me up and we'll organise, baboons are real clever bastards so it's not always easy to get. I was actually sitting having lunch when this one popped up so I lay down next to the dining room table in the lapa and sorted him out! Neadless to say I never saw them for the next 4 days.

Just curious, but you mentioned that the TRG will put the shot right where you want it. So, do you normally take head shots when hunting impala? Never hunted in Africa, so forgive me if it's a stupid question. I mostly deer hunt with my TRG-22 but typically shoot at the shoulder or chest center mass area. I fugure a head shot to be riskier for a miss.

Then again, to be honest I have never missed an animal I was shooting at, but prob. haven't hunted enough for that to be a meaningful statement. If you know you are going to hit where you are aiming, maybe a head shot instantly drops 'em, or is at least a more humane kill.

Shot placement really depends on the circumstances, this hunt was for meat not trophies so a head shot is pretty much the way to go in terms of saving meat. Hunting here in SA has become expensive even for us locals so you don't want any waste.
If at any stage I don't have the opportunity to get a perfect rest then I don't risk a head shot, we actually shot one impala last week that had a bullet hole through it's ear, obviousley from a previous hunter. I suppose you take the shot that you feel the most comfortable taking at the time, there's no worse feeling than wounding an animal and having to spend hours trying to recover it in the bush.

Very nice. Definitely a heavy rifle to be lugging around, but I'm sure it is worth it.

Nice pix just..
Might be heading your way next year. Biggest thing i have on my "gotta smack" list is a Kudu.
Friend told me I'd be good with my 30-06. Or should i pack my 7RM or 300 RUM instead??

Great post, great pic's, etc., but.....as I own a TRG-22 and know what it can do, is that really even fair at those distances?! (with that rifle you could pick which hair on their forehead you want to split!).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brians708</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do them Baboons Taste? (You said it was a Meat hunt)</div></div>

Actually nothing wants to eat it, all I was after was the skull, I left the body in the bush for scavngers and after 4 days nothing had touched it not even the flies! I've heard that only the ants will eventually take care of it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pix just..
Might be heading your way next year. Biggest thing i have on my "gotta smack" list is a Kudu.
Friend told me I'd be good with my 30-06. Or should i pack my 7RM or 300 RUM instead??</div></div>

Go with the 30-06 if you're after kudu, you will almost definitley be hunting bushveld for kudu so no long shots and the 30-06 is an excellent all rounder for plains game here in SA. Whenever you don't have a rifle with you you'll spot kudu but the second you go out hunting they become ellusive, fun hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great post, great pic's, etc., but.....as I own a TRG-22 and know what it can do, is that really even fair at those distances?! (with that rifle you could pick which hair on their forehead you want to split!).</div></div>

I don't get to pick the distances, but it's good to know that distance isn't going to be a problem, also walking through the bush and hunting is nothing like relaxing at the range, you don't always get the opportunity to have a great dead rest so any distance can be tricky at times.

Thanks for the replys, I'll post some more pics over the weekend, it would be great to see some of you all's kills with the TRG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Justus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't get to pick the distances, but it's good to know that distance isn't going to be a problem, also walking through the bush and hunting is nothing like relaxing at the range, you don't always get the opportunity to have a great dead rest so any distance can be tricky at times.</div></div>

Understood. -it was meant more as a joke actually
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Justus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't get to pick the distances, but it's good to know that distance isn't going to be a problem, also walking through the bush and hunting is nothing like relaxing at the range, you don't always get the opportunity to have a great dead rest so any distance can be tricky at times.</div></div>

Understood. -it was meant more as a joke actually
grin.gif
</div></div>

No problem, never took it as anything more than that.