• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing TRG-22 Re-barrel Question

scotharr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi folks,

I have been asked to rebarrel a Sako TRG-22 with a Bartlein Heavy Palma barrel. I noticed that the factory barrel has a 1.160" shank versus the 1.250" shank on a palma barrel. Will a palma barrel fit into the Sako factory stock or should I turn down the shank to 1.160"? Unfortunately I do not have the stock to examine.

Thanks,
Scott

can't answer the shank question ,but on a side note if he is using the trg bipod you my want to check clearance there also.

I recently re-barreled a TRG-22 with a medium Palma, I recall there would have been no issues going with a heavy when I discussed it with the smith. There is some clearance issues with a heavier barrel and the front sling stud mount on the left side, so you may need to remove it (it barely cleared the medium)

Huh. Posted an answer to this hours ago but I guess it didn't take...

It'll clear just fine. The 1.160" OEM barrel clears the stock by a minimum of ~.090" per side.

Hope that helps.

Turn the shank down to match the factory one, it looks terrible otherwise.