• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 22 vs. TacOps, KMW, Surgeon

ANGLICOMarine

Retired Marine
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I was wondering how a bone stock TRG 22 shoots compared to high-end custom tactical rifles. I know that there will be many opinions out there and I in NO WAY intend to start any kind of online argument. I'm simply wondering if a factory TRG is comparable to a high end custom (some of the claims I've heard are that they are and are similar in quality and accuracy to AI). I've wanted one for a long time and I own one of all three of the brands in the title. I would have to sell one of my customs to fund the TRG project and I simply don't want to kick myself later for selling a rifle thats shoots like the above mentioned brands.
Thanks for the help!

****In no way are the rifles listed an exhaustive list of super accurate rifles or quality builders.****

Re: TRG 22 vs. TacOps, KMW, Surgeon

I took mine out for the first time last weekend and it cake walked to over 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG are world quality, extremely accurate rifles. You will lose nothing by going with a TRG. </div></div>

What he said..

Filthy...your post actually prompted me to start mine...I almost posted my question on your post. Thanks for the input...I'm hoping for a few good posts to help with the decision. Thanks "Mike" for your input.

Okay...then I take it back.
smile.gif

Trgs are every bit quality and accuracy as custom builds,the only down side is accessories are expensive...example sako bipods but you can use harris.

re. Mike and Beenjammin...

... What they said...

Most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever shot. Not to denigrate AI or PSG or similar. I am sure they are great, just never shot those. My TRG duty rifle is unbelieveably accurate when I do my part. You will spend less on a TRG than building a custom rifle, IMHO.

Cheers, sirhr

I dont know how a TRG shoots however i can say my Tac Ops is a blast to shoot! Its a .308 and it has the recoil of a .22lr (well not that little but much less then my AR15)

I have owned TRG's, AI's and Many top of the line Custom rifles and I'd have to say that the TRG is probably the best all around rifle for under $3000 that you can buy. My AI AE's were right there also, but the lighter weight of the TRG was a plus, it came with a threaded bbl, the 2 stage factory trigger was superb and the magazines are tough as can be. I see 308 TRG's on gunbroker for under $2500, 300 Win Mags for $2600 and 338 Lapuas for $3200. The 308/TRG was used in 300 meter International competition for years before they started using 6mm's. You will Not be sorry if you own a TRG IMO.

I'm relatively new to the TRG scene but the first time I took out my TRG 22 with loads I had worked up years before for my match grade M1A it shot into 1/2 inch @ 100 yards. Great rifle, you won't go wrong with it. However as previously posted accessories are expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm relatively new to the TRG scene but the first time I took out my TRG 22 with loads I had worked up years before for my match grade M1A it shot into 1/2 inch @ 100 yards. Great rifle, you won't go wrong with it. However as previously posted accessories are expensive. </div></div>

The only "downside" to the Sako are the accessories.

Have you considered a AIAE Mk II?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take your pick, all will be excellent! </div></div>

All the rifles mentioned are high end and gonna be expensive, they also all will shoot very well. I went from a tricked and trued remmy to a TRG and never looked back. With good handloads groups of under 0.5moa are easy. I shot a 3 inch group at 600 2 weeks ago and im a decidely average shot. The TRG makes me look good.

The only expensive accessories are the ones you don't entirely need though. The bipod is a lot but you can just use a harris. The muzzlebrake you can find for 190 shipped (if you even want one), and the rifle is already threaded which gives it that much more value.

The only thing I "had" to purchase was a rail which put me back about 150... and that's no more expensive than any other rail.

Everything else I already had on my Remi... I just cannibalized a mount for the bipod and it was good to go yard.

I just hope JBW starts making some TRG mags after the AI morta mags. Hell, if I could get some of those for around 100 a piece I would be stoked! Aside from the mags, I second what has been said above about accessories. You have other aftermarket options that are no more expensive than anything put out for AI or Remington.

Scope rail: Get a NEAR or Warne (if you don't like the cost of the NEAR)
Bipod: Put a Harris on it and wait for the ATLAS spigot.
Muzzle Brake: A muzzle brake is not needed on the 22 (IMHO)
Cheek weld: Get a stock pack like you would for a non adjustable remington or AI 1.0. Otherwise, get the spacer kit.

Mine shoots lights out. For the price of an AI AW I can buy two TRGs (when I paid for mine it was 2500 from Euro Optic). The AE MkII is the closest competitor. For the money you just can't beat it. The AE is still a round action...not the bonded flat bottom of the AW, and that is just what the TRG happens to be. I don't see any advantages that command a premium like that. Get the TRG and be happy.

Josh

Just do not allow harsh organic solvents sit for very long on the TRG stock. I had a green TRG chip some of the coating material revealing black underneath...

Not that the TRG has a weak coating as I have gotten plenty of cleaners on it with no issues, but MEK and acetone should be wiped off fast.

I always thought the color was throughout like the AIs, but its not.

I say get which ever you can get for less money as the AE and the Sako are pretty much brothers from another mother, but I like the sako's trigger better
smile.gif

I think the TRG is one of the best out of the box rifles available. I traded for a TRG43 a few months ago just because I wanted one as one of the best 338LM out there.

Most of the TRGs will shoot better than the shooter. They are simple and very, very reliable. If you can get warm and fuzzy with their stock and get you a good scope base (Near) you will probably never regret gettting one.

That being said, most of the custom makers continue to evolve their product, bring new systems on line and still can give you a variant that suits your exact wants or needs. I know that I am not building the same rifle I was 5 years ago and don't expect to be building todays rifle 5 years from now. I am not trying to speak for the other builders but I would bet they have the same mentality.

I would have to say that if you compared a 100 rifles from each of the ones on your list, the TRG would get beat for pure accuracy potential. That is not to say it is not accurate. Just less so (on average) than an all up custom. Would you ever see the difference in the field or at a comp?. I doubt it.

Good luck with your quest and be safe.

I sold a very nice and very accurate custom m40a3 to fund my trg 22. I have NO regrets , its better in every way. Its more accurate (mine is a easy 3/8 moa rifle ... thats every time I pull the trigger , correctly) it has much better ergonomics, and is lighter. I highly recomend it to any one over any thing else, and if someone disagrese w/ me thats ok if you have shot one , if you havent do your self a favor and shoot one! The accessorys a expensive all I can say is shoot off a Harris and call Richard Near for the base , rings , and break , the price will not seem as bad after you receve the parts. Good luck and do your self a favor get a trg, I would go for the 20" they have out now though, mines getting cut down soon.
SEMPER FI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just do not allow harsh organic solvents sit for very long on the TRG stock. I had a green TRG chip some of the coating material revealing black underneath...

Not that the TRG has a weak coating as I have gotten plenty of cleaners on it with no issues, but MEK and acetone should be wiped off fast.</div></div>

I had seen a stock chip elsewhere, however, I did not know that the stronger cleaners would attack. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say get which ever you can get for less money as the AE and the Sako are pretty much brothers from another mother, but I like the sako's trigger better
smile.gif
</div></div>

Completely agree. They are the same animal. I do love that trigger. I went to the range with a buddy and let him put a couple rounds downrange. I had him do some dry firing first and when I told him on his first squeeze that he had already broken the trigger (fired the weapon...not broken mechanically), he looked at me with amazement and said, "That's it?". Exactly...and still perfectly safe.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The AE is still a round action...not the bonded flat bottom of the AW, and that is just what the TRG happens to be.

Josh </div></div>

That was also a question of mine...is the action epoxied or permanently bonded to a bedding block or something else? Is it even possible to put it into another stock if I like the feel of say a MCM better? Please advise...

It is permanently attached to the chassis. The only thing you can change out are the skins. But it's not that bad after all. Thats one of the reasons the AI rifles are so dependable.

You are such a tease. I really thinking about going the TRG route soon. Or should I wait a little longer? I know they are coming out with a chassis for the 700s...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is permanently attached to the chassis. The only thing you can change out are the skins. But it's not that bad after all. Thats one of the reasons the AI rifles are so dependable. </div></div>

This is only partially correct. The AW is permanently bonded. The AE is NOT and is removed from the chassis for barrel changes. Since the apples to apples comparison favors AE vs TRG there is no appreciable difference.

Josh

Thanks for all the advice and input! BTW Terry...your gun was NOT in the running to be sold to fund a potential SAKO project.

...actually none of my guns are in the running for sale to fund any project as I think about it...for the record.