• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship TRG-22 with and without brake MOA change?

edpmedic

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2002
Baldwin NY....Long Island
I finally got my TRG set up and went to sight it in.

This first image is with 175 SMK's @ 100yds this is 20 rounds. My first couple were low after bore sighting. Then I started to group and was a little high to the right. Finally I started to get a tighter group.
BBpictures039.jpg

Now this second image is 20 Shots @ 100 yd also but with a Break. My first 3 shots were low and I had to come up 2MOA to get back in a group. My question is, is that normal for a rifle with a break to shoot 2moa lower with the same ammo?
BBpictures040.jpg

This 3rd image is 10 rounds @ 100yds with Berger 190 VLD I did not have to change my zero. I left it at the 2 moa I came up with the break to get on target.
BBpictures041.jpg

Re: TRG-22 with and without brake MOA change?

I did not notice any on my TRG, but The blaser LRS2 also uses the sako brake and my buddy put on my brake and we did see a changeon the blaser with and without the brake ( the brake was worse).

I always felt that my my sako was more accurate with the brake. So much that at hard rock i shot with the .300 WM guys instead of just taking it off.

I recall I had to go up about 1MOA after installing a muzzle brake on my TRG-22.

Thanks I tried it again t-nite to make sure and it was the same. so I guess that is what happens. Seems the Berger 190VLD pushed .010 into the lands work best. At least at 100yds. I need to reach out and see if it holds that or starts to get verticals

On both of our TRG-22s shooting 175 Federal GM will shoot:

0.3mrad high with thread protector compared to factory muzzle brake at 100m.

It will change with different ammo.

There will definitely be a change in POI when you install/take off a muzzle brake or a suppressor. The reason being differential and directional force exerted upon bullet exiting the muzzle. the pressured gas behind the bullet is release in a directional manner to counter balance the raise in muzzle, and in the process, minor vertical force is resulted on the bullet, causing the shift in POI.

Common practice is to always re-check your POI when you take off/install a muzzle brake or suppressor.

Add to what has already been said here, any change in mass at the end of your barrel will change its harmonics and thus the position of the barrel when the bullet exits. Sometimes you get truly blessed and the change caused by the brake/suppressor will coincide with the next vibrational node and the POI won't shift, but as previously stated, it needs to be checked. My FN shoots exactly 1 Mil lower with the suppressor on it, but is as accurate as without the supressor.

Sometimes you will get a change in accuracy with the addition or removal of a brake or suppressor, and that's frustrating, but can be remedied by an experienced gunsmith or different brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Add to what has already been said here, any change in mass at the end of your barrel will change its harmonics and thus the position of the barrel when the bullet exits. Sometimes you get truly blessed and the change caused by the brake/suppressor will coincide with the next vibrational node and the POI won't shift, but as previously stated, it needs to be checked. My FN shoots exactly 1 Mil lower with the suppressor on it, but is as accurate as without the supressor.

Sometimes you will get a change in accuracy with the addition or removal of a brake or suppressor, and that's frustrating, but can be remedied by an experienced gunsmith or different brake.</div></div>

It's all about making recoil predictable, which it will be when the position is consistent. A brake may persuade recoil, and therefore, zero's too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Add to what has already been said here, any change in mass at the end of your barrel will change its harmonics and thus the position of the barrel when the bullet exits. Sometimes you get truly blessed and the change caused by the brake/suppressor will coincide with the next vibrational node and the POI won't shift, but as previously stated, it needs to be checked. My FN shoots exactly 1 Mil lower with the suppressor on it, but is as accurate as without the supressor.

Sometimes you will get a change in accuracy with the addition or removal of a brake or suppressor, and that's frustrating, but can be remedied by an experienced gunsmith or different brake.</div></div>

It's all about making recoil predictable, which it will be when the position is consistent. A brake may persuade recoil, and therefore, zero's too. </div></div>

This is true because I do see the rifle will shoot high to the right with the brake if I am not holding it properly. Now it says in the manual that you can cant the brake up to 45 degrees clockwise or counter clockwise. So to get it to shoot without the movement which way would you cant the brake?

It seems that if you do that it will make it worse due to the fact it has slots on both sides of the brake. It will also kick up dirt if not shooting without something under the barrel on the ground.