• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22

3PER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
USA
20 or 26 inch barrel? Make your case before I buy one. Will be used mostly for precision target shooting, varmint shooting, most likely always off a bipod.

Re: TRG-22

First off I love everything about the TRG's I have a 26" and it shoots very well. If I had it to do over agan I would absoutly get the 20" , I am going to cut mine down soon. As far as why the 20" its way more portiable and the TRG is a light rifle (in its class of rifles) and the 6" shorter barrel will only lighten it up. If you are going to use a can the 20" is the only way to go, even with a break you end up around 28-29"or so. As far as the .308 and a 20" I think its been proven time and time agan you loose nothing with the shorter barrel. So for me its an easy choice 20". Good luck with the TRG you will not be disapointed.

I just held a TRG-22 with I believe a 20" barrel(eyeball measurement) that was threaded with a thread protector. It is a sexy rifle to say the least and felt great! I would love to shoot one!!

I wonder what the average accuracy that people are seeing with them is?

Also, please. Brake or no brake? I was leaning 26" but jbell makes some good points. More feedback, please.

I also have the 26" and probably would go 20 if I had to do it again. Mind you, I have never been in a situation that made me think..."Damn, the 20" would be so much better". I am a new reloader, so you can get higher velocities than you would not see out of a 20" with commercial ammo (except maybe the Hornady superformance). If you are just going to the range and shooting the occasional comp either one works. As for accuracy, .5 MOA or better is pretty standard for these rifles. I need to set my lightbox back up and get some pictures.

Barrel Length: Have 26". No problems with that length.
Accuracy: .5 MOA or better
Muzzle Break: It's a stout rifle. I don't shoot with one. I don't feel a .308 in that weight requires one. Get the TRG, shoot it, see if you need it.

Josh

One last thing.

Jbell is correct in saying it is light for the class of rifle...definitely when compared with AI. However, it is not a hunting rifle, and I have a USO ST-10 on mine. I just put mine on the scale and it is right at 14 lbs with scope, badger rings, Harris bipod, NEAR base, and EMPTY magazine.

Josh

If you going to use suppressor on the rifle, get the 20" barrel.
If not, just get the 26" barrel.

I got the 26" barrel on my rifle, but I cut it down to 22" after a wile.
I lost under 10m/s speed on my homeloadings, and I like the rifle much better now when using suppressor on it.

I have one with a 26" barrel and a brake. Don't really need the brake but I like to reduce the recoil as much as possible. Since this is not a hunting rifle I prefer the longer barrel to get as much velocity from my loads as possible for longer range shots.