• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trg 42 chassis recommendation

CoffeeRocks

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2020
Hello everyone,
I have a pre-13 TRG 42 in 338LM on order and would appreciate any recommendations regarding a chassis system.
The big three that are available stateside seem to be the Whiskey 3, Cadex Dual Strike, and Vision.
My intended purpose is ELR type shooting, so the weight is not a concern.
Also, I will be using the TRG bipod which I believe works on the KRG, but I would by the Finnaccuracy adaptor if necessary.

Thanks for any input!

Get the KRG fixed/folder W3 rear stock only and be done with it. Unless you need to wheigh it down, then get the full W3.

A PauTac would be an excellent choice, as would a Cadex. But bang for buck, the W3 rear is as good as you get.

What is your reason to get a chassis?

I like the TRG stock, but after reading a few reports of the rear stock cracking on the 338 I am a bit concerned for the longevity.
Is the stock failure really an issue, or am I concerned over nothing?

I like the TRG stock, but after reading a few reports of the rear stock cracking on the 338 I am a bit concerned for the longevity.
I would say it’s overblown. A few have cracked but there are A LOT of these rifles around. If it was a real issue you would hear about it more. I would guess that it’s more due to rough handling or over tightening the rear action screw.
The folding rear whiskey3 is really nice, especially for cleaning and transporting but, imho, the original TRG rear is one of the most comfortable stocks in existence. If it fits you and you like it, I would keep it and maybe get the vision forend to get your bipod out further and lower your bore.

I second Blues reply above. I appreciate the W3 for the ease of use quick adjust, but the stock stock is one of the best when set up right.

The rear stock cracks at the 'ears' and is usually only cosmetic from what I've seen. There is an aluminium brace running from mounting point to but pad keeping it in working order.

Reactions: CoffeeRocks
New TRG stock is nice. Can’t go wrong with KRG. Really like my KRG whiskeys