• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 42 Opinions sought

A

atreeman

As described: Opinions sought on the TRG 42 in .300 win mag. Opinions good bad and ugly please gentlemen. I've been toying with the idea of buying one of these for a while. Love the cartridge but have zero experience of the rifle.

Many thanks in advance

Re: TRG 42 Opinions sought

It is an awesome rifle. I have the blued version in 300WM. It shoots great. It is a 1/2 MOA rifle with good handloads. Get the Sako 3 ring scope mount, muzzle brake, and extra magazine, and the rest buy other non-Sako accessories (Harris bipod, etc).
The trigger on it is one of the best I have used. The stock feels great, and can be adjusted to however you want. I highly recommend it for a high-end factory rifle.
There's lots of previous threads about this rifle is you go back in the rifles section.
Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything specific you are wondering about.

Chad

I have one in 338 and love it, i just wish the prices of 338 reloading stuff didnt go up so much. Sub 1/2 moa no prob

I love mine, I have a custom made scope base, I have the TRG Break. This weekend I was shooting a ragged hole at 100 yds all touching at 300 and in a small coffee can at 500. Its best to roll your own smoke with the 338, other wise its like throwing six buck into the air.

Thanks guys I will do a search for archived threads. I've thought about the .338 but am set up for the .300 as I have all the high end loading gear for it. Also will be a touch more economical to shoot (less reach I know). In addition our restrictive lawmakers are more comfortable that I have a slightly smaller bullet (go figure :-(? )
Does the newer version of the TRG receiver have integral picatinny base as the Sako website seems to suggest so?
How does the 1:11 twist barrel stabilise the heavier 190-210gr bullets. Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Gareth

I have a TRG-42 in 300WM and out of the box it's a 1/2MOA rifle.

From start to finish is fantastic and has everything you can or will need available for it.

I highly recommend Near Manufacturing for the break and the rail.

I would not waste the cash on the .338LM unless you REALLY have the cash and want to shoot 1200 meters consistently.

The TRG-42 DOES come with magazines that allow you to completely headspace the rounds to a length at or slightly shorter than touching the lans/grooves. [Generally a few thousands shorter is best.]

The trigger is great.

The stock is decent and fully adjustable.

The bi-pod is decent, much better than anything Harris. (...but CRAZY expensive [got it as a birthday present from a friend in the military].)

Has a neat little item called a Mirage Strap... which is worth it's weight in gold.

Action is super smooth...

It's got pretty much anything you can reasonably need as an option.

The only downside: Expensive... AND: when you shoot the barrel out you'll need to have a US gunsmith make you one. (Barretta does not sell replacement barrels for the TRG, they want you to buy another rifle.)

ChadTRG gave me a load of 72.7gr of R-22 and 190 Sierra Match Kings... and I simply load them to 3.55 inches. 1/2MOA loads and I'm not even neck sizing...

[Frankly, I wish I could afford to have him make me ammo, but things have been a little harry financially this year.]

I would not waste the cash on the .338LM unless you REALLY have the cash and want to shoot 1200 meters consistently.

/tear
you never know when you want to burn 5 bucks ever time the thing boom! I love my 338, and I love having a 300 meter zero and only needing 21 clicks to get to 500.

I currently own a TRG-22 and it is the best dollar I ever spent on a rifle and I have a safe full of other makes.
Like "ChadTRG42" said “trigger on it is one of the best I have used. The stock feels great, and can be adjusted to however you want”
Next year my next purchase is going to be the TRG-42 in 300 WM, for me I am sold on the TRG series rifles.
If you can get behind one and send a few rounds down range you will get a feel for the rifle.

alexander66

I think you can do better (quite a bit) than $5 a shot if you are reloading for .338LM. When in Loveland, Colorado a few weeks ago I ran across factory .338LM by HSM for less than $50 a box. I reload for this caliber and in a certain way don't want to know exactly what it costs. But the HSM price was cheap so I UPS'd a 100 rounds home with some other ammo I ran across. On the other hand, shooting 1200 and beyond with boring consistency might be something you want to avoid? Here's a pic shooting TRG at 1250 yards at pepper poppers. Good luck with your decision!

1250yards.jpg

I bought a TRG-22 recently. Felt sick after spending the money...however, after the first day at the range, couldn't get the smile off my face and I have not once thought about the money I spent for it.

Thanks all for the info. Theres a couple of guys in the club with them so I'll beg some range time next time. Looks goos so far though. It'll be nice and cosy in my safe with all its Sako buddies!

Many thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: atreeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the 1:11 twist barrel stabilise the heavier 190-210gr bullets. Any thoughts on this?</div></div>
The heaviest I have shot is the 208 A-max. It shoots fine in the 1:11 twist. I have not fully played with it as much as the 190 SMK. But the 2 outings I had with the 208 showed great promise. If you go with the heavier bullets (200+), test them at 300 or further. The best load at 100 yards may not be the best load at distance. I found this out with the 208.
I have some groups with the 190 SMK in the .2's and .3's, so it will shoot very well when you tell it to. I was able to take a doe at a LRF 604 yards with it last season. The bullet went within 2 inches of where I wanted it.

Thats useful info Chad, thankyou. I was concerned (a little with the heavier bullets) no probs though now.

Any thoughts on the integral picatinny on newer models?

Thanks

Gareth

Another fan here. I really don't need to say it again but she's a tack driver.

For handloads I use 208 AMAXs with a COAL of 3.6 and they're easily mag feedable. She also loves A191.

I highly recommend the Max Brake from Elite Iron. Dale's brake is the best I've used for the TRG. I had a Near (offset ports) when I first got the rifle; however, when firing off of a hard surface it tended to push the muzzle to the left. With the max brake the rifle pushes straight back into the shoulder and IMO the felt recoil seem to be a little lighter.

I do highly recommend the Near scope base.

-john

Can't speak for the TRG 42, but absolutely love my TRG 22 in .308. I just finished teaching a class, and we were shooting off a tower at steel targets. I was amazed at how many shooters were impressed with the TRG.

You will love it.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm still glad I went with the .308. Lotsa ammo, and I won't be replacing my barrel anytime soon. :)

I am on my second TRG 42 in 300 win mag and also have a TRG 22. I use Richard Nears 25moa base on all of them and the TRG bipods. I mod the bipods with rubber teeth on the bottom. All have NF rings and scopes.

I spent months testing powder, primers, cases and bullets with the 300 and landed on the 208 A-Max over Berger 210's, Lapua 185's, Sierra 210's. I use naked bullets with 76.5 grains of H1000 and a 210M primer in a norma case with the neck turned. I have a log book full of honest 5 shot 4's & 5's at 1000yards with this load. Great guns if you find your pet load.

When you need a barrel look up Dave Tooley.