• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

TRG 42 Question

Ghostcoyote

Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
Ohio
Members I have currently been doing some load development with my trg. My projectile of choice is the 210 gr. berger vld. Initial tests have shown sub .5 inch groups @ 100 to 125 yds. The same load produced 1.25 to 1.5 inch groups @ 300 yds. Now my optics have not caught up to the rifles capabilities yet, but the glass is decent. It is a luepold vx3 4.5-14 x 40 lr. During my last outing my shooting partner had mentioned that I had not shot the rifle without the brake. So the brake was removed and a 3 shot string was sent to 300 yds. When I went to inspect the target. I was suprised to see a true .5 inch group. Not that I am not capable of doing that just it was out of the norm with this load and rifle. Two of the bullet impacts were less that 1/8 of an inch from one another. There was no change in wind or heat index at the time. The barrel now has approximately 250 rds. through her. Has anyone had experience with brake non-brake accuracy changes? All these groups have been shot with the same reload. I even double checked my reloads oal to see if there was a change there. All was the same.

Re: TRG 42 Question

The change in weight on the end of the barrel can affect where the accuracy node is. I would check it at 100 with and without the brake then again at 300. if its more accurate without the brake, I would work on the load development more to find the accuracy node with the brake on there.

CJG

The barrel harmonics can change by removing the brake. When you initially shot at 300yds was your 1.5" group strung right to left? or was it an 1.5" of vertical dispersion? I am asking because wind can play a significant effect even at 300yds. You are only talking about 1" of wind drift to make the difference. Whenever i do latter testing for loads i always try to look at the vertical.

I shoot my TRG with the brake on and did the load work up with it on. When I took it off for an F-class match, the groups did seem to open up a little, but still shot well. I would work up the loads with how you plan to shoot it.

On my TRG 42, there is no difference between the groups with and without my break. Mine is in the 338 L and I assume that your talking about a 210 gn pill so is your in 300 Win?

Sorry for the delayed reply, work has taken me out of town and my computer was down due to a storm. My dispersion was more vertical than horizontal. There was some slight right .5" but that was probably the nut behind the trigger. Wind conditions were not gusting and I only had 3-5mph @ the most. so it looks like some more reload work is in order. I am very attentive during reloading so I do not think its there. Just need to find her zone. Also that was the first time she was shot with the brake off. I noticed the allen head set was not very tight. It is however now tightened. I may shoot another session before going back to the old drawing board. Thanks to all who responded! Just been out of commision for awhile.