• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 42

LongrangeHawk

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
Radcliff, KY
Can I get away with low rings on a TRG 42? Or do I have to go with a pair of medium rings? The scope is a Nightforce 5.5 x 22 x 56. I am using a NEAR base. Thanks

Re: TRG 42

Since you already have the base gun and scope you can determine the lowest rings you can use with this.

http://www.tacticalprecision.com/tsr_w_steel_30mm_DIO.htm

I have the exact same setup on my TRG42 in .338LM with a Near 25MOA base and I went with the lowest rings that would work.Ill have to pull it out of the vault when I get home and see what rings I used, I cant remember off the top of my head right now.

Tim

I believe I used the Nightforce 1" steel rings on this rifle. You MAY be able to use the .885" rings on there but I don't know if the bell will have enough clearance.
I just had the wife have a look for me as im still at work. She said they measure up to 1" so those should work but I would measure yours just to be safe.
Also, you will probably want to but 3 rings on that thing as the TRG-42 kicks quite a bit. I run dual rings on the back and a single up front.

Tim

I have the same exact setup and use the medium rings. With low rings, you'd never be able to get flip up covers on. I use a nightforce picatinny base w/ the NF medium rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jared</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same exact setup and use the medium rings. With low rings, you'd never be able to get flip up covers on. I use a nightforce picatinny base w/ the NF medium rings. </div></div>

Mine fit just fine. What caps are you using?

Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimOram</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jared</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same exact setup and use the medium rings. With low rings, you'd never be able to get flip up covers on. I use a nightforce picatinny base w/ the NF medium rings. </div></div>

Mine fit just fine. What caps are you using?

Tim </div></div>

Butler Creek flip ups. The nightforce base is 35MOA so maybe that has something to do with it. It is close to the barrel as is with the medium rings.

Well I was at a local gun shop today and decided to go with a pair of leupold mk 4 rings. They seem very solid and so far have worked great.