• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-42A1 Top Rail Bolts

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    This is an FYI message...

I got rid of my TRG-42s in 300wm, and moved onto a TRG-42A1 in 300WM because the newer model has a decent chassis system.

I opted to re-barrel it when the 160gr Warner Tool Company Flatlines were not shooting as well as they did in the prior TRG-42s. (They wouldn't pull 1/4-1/2 MOA at 100 yards, though my go to 190SMKs did so without an issue.)

Anyway, I had a few KRG TRG-42 drop-in barrels with their barrel nut system, so I began prepping for the barrel removal process of the OEM barrel; I wanted to see if I could remove the OEM barrel using a Wheeler #1 action wrench or the TRG specific wrench (also obtained from KRG, though Bugholes makes a great one too).

(Aside from a thread where another 'Hide member was being a douche, *cough* powdahound76 *cough*, when I was making my initial plans,) I completely disassembled the chassis system and got stuck with the 30MOA rail on the receiver.

The Torx bolts used to put the pic rail on the TRG42A1 don't like to come out without stripping... possibly some slight heat would have helped, hard to say.

[Insert me sending the barrel receiver to Short Action Customs as I knew a milling machine / really good drill press would be required to get the bolts out...]

I got everything back from SAC, but the real issue was now that Beretta doesn't have replacement M3.5x0.6mm Torx bolts for a SAKO TRG-42A1 30 MOA rail.

IF YOU EVER FIND YOUSELF IN A POSITION WHERE YOU NEED THOSE BOLTS, MSC HAS THEM:

39270715​
    3.5X.6MM T15 SCR HERTEL SPARE PART​
    10​

Unfortunately, you'll need to grind them down by ~.5mm or the bolt will hit them as they will protrude through the receiver.

The OEM bolts are 5.25mm in diameter at the top, 6.20mm long, and a metric M3.5x0.6mm.

I found that grinding the above Hertel T15 M3.5x0.6mm bolts to ~6.6mm (from the 7mm they are) worked without issue.

SIDE NOTE:

SAC was able to save the OEM 300WM barrel without issue.

They did need to strip and cerakote the rail / receiver in black, as they used heat to remove the OE 27in barrel.

They did great work and were excellent with the comms.

The Torx bolts used to put the pic rail on the TRG42A1 don't like to come out without stripping... possibly some slight heat would have helped, hard to say.
    These things (manual impact driver) seem handy for that sort of stuff.

manual impact driver - Google Search

you can just borrow mine the next time you want to strip some screws! LOL

Glad you got it worked out and SAC did good by you.

Cheers

Why not have base tapped for standard maybe over size screws?

Are these different from TRG22 screws? I still have mine you coulda tried.

These things (manual impact driver) seem handy for that sort of stuff.

manual impact driver - Google Search

you can just borrow mine the next time you want to strip some screws! LOL

Glad you got it worked out and SAC did good by you.

Cheers
    Milwaukee FUEL SURGE impact driver.

Reactions: Baron23
    Are these different from TRG22 screws? I still have mine you coulda tried.

Milwaukee FUEL SURGE impact driver.
    Actually...I don't think so on the powered impact driver. You just want to just crack the thread loose a bit and I think a manual (and a hammer) like these are what you want to use. Used to use them to get various motorcycle engine bolts loose (side covers and the like)

1675367902479.png

Reactions: spife7980
    I actually have a hardened driver set, and an impact gun to go with it for whatever reason those particular bolts as procured by Seco or not as tough as the ones I just put on there. They seem to be some sort of alloy screw, and the ones I just used are made out of steel.

This might be just me and my experience, however I have had a factory rep from Sako tell me that they choose to have a lower grade on som things like scope screws/bolts and so on, lessening the risk of damage to scope rings from owertorqing, I would almost like to bet that there is something similar here.

Reactions: GBMaryland
    This might be just me and my experience, however I have had a factory rep from Sako tell me that they choose to have a lower grade on som things like scope screws/bolts and so on, lessening the risk of damage to scope rings from owertorqing, I would almost like to bet that there is something similar here.
    That would be what I expected based on the issues removing the bolts. There was also some tread compound on them... so alloy bolts / compound = issues removing them.

SAC was like - We couldn't find those bolts, and you need to replace them all.

Beretta was useless in general. MSC was the only place that had T15 M3.5x.06 bolts... of any type.