• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG and cerekote?

bth87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Has anyone here had there TRG cerekoted or done it themselves. I seem to remember there being a guy here who melted his stock doing a coating job on his and I was wondering if there is a safe way to to to to the TRG given that the stock is made of polyurethane. Thanks in advance.

Ben

Re: TRG and cerekote?

I am nowhere near a professional on this subject, but from what I understand there are 2 Ceracoat types that people are using on firearms.
Ceracoat C-series ambient cure
Ceracoat H-series thermal cure
245degF @ 2.5hrs
300degF @ 1.75hrs

The C-series is slightly less abrasion resistant but does get harder with higher cure temperatures. My guess is, ask sako how warm you can get your stock. From there you can decide weather it is possible to continue with H-series coating or use C-series and cure at a safe temp.

If cured right the stock shouldn't melt. It seems that the temp it was cured at was way way way way to high. 180 for 1 hour and 55 minutes is recommended for polymer,plastic, and other materials that aren't metal. Todd Jackson (30calsniper) had a picture a while back with an ass ton of TRG stocks that were Cerakoted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USW.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ever you do, don't coat the inside of action or bolt. </div></div>

Why is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USW.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ever you do, don't coat the inside of action or bolt. </div></div>

curious to hear this as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bth87</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USW.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ever you do, don't coat the inside of action or bolt. </div></div>

Why is that? </div></div>

because it might make it toooo slippery and smooth that you won't like the rest of your guns!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quacktastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bth87</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USW.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ever you do, don't coat the inside of action or bolt. </div></div>

Why is that? </div></div>

because it might make it toooo slippery and smooth that you won't like the rest of your guns! </div></div>

lol im not sure that possible, have you ever cycled the bolt on a TRG or any sako rifle for that matter? They are pretty smooth.... though I must admit i don't have nay personal experience with cerekote so I could just be uninformed....

Cerakote when applied properly goes on so thin that it will not affect the tolerances. That is just non sense saying dont paint your bolt or get paint in your action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cerakote when applied properly goes on so thin that it will not affect the tolerances. That is just non sense saying dont paint your bolt or get paint in your action</div></div>

I tend to think along the same lines especially given the fact that the TRG already has a generous tolerance between the bolt body and the inside of the action. I can see there being a concern with a very tight competition style action, but on a field riffle such as the TRG it seems like a non issue.

Tac 30 actions are very tight and u have to almost do a light dusting of cerakote as for the try stock no probs go light on heat just longer bake time and u will have no problems