• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG Questions

irishshooter

Super Mario Kart World Champion 1997
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Ireland
Ive heard time and time again that sako trg 22's as standard will not be competitive long range rifles after 600yds. Can someone shed some light on this?

Have many people rebarrelled their TRG 22 for that extra couple hundred yards but get to keep the sako action they love?

I know its far easier to go remy 700 action and heavy barrel etc etc but am just curious as im having a rifle built soon and am weighing up my options, I do not want to use remington action and cant afford something like a stolle teddy or rpa action but I like the sako/tikka action and the TRG stock

Re: TRG Questions

I know that my 42 can smoke just about anyother rifle out there. It's the nut behind the butt dude, I have a friend that has a 22, we shoot together all the time, his shoots as well as mine, however out to 1k, after that he is loosing gas, where is the 338 LM is not.

I can shed some light, you heard wrong "time and time again". As long as your competing against other 308's the 22 is GTG.

That's crazy talk, esp. if you reload. I was at a NorCal LR clinic a few months back and had no trouble at all making hits at 1000 yds using the factory barrel.

My friend, you cant go wrong with a TRG platform. Get good glass on it and have fun, But please keep in mind, please dont start crying about the price of mags or bipods. We have heard it all before. Good luck.

My TRG 22's are accurate as heck well out to a 1000, you will not go wrong with a TRG!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive heard time and time again that sako trg 22's as standard will not be competitive long range rifles after 600yds. Can someone shed some light on this?

Have many people rebarrelled their TRG 22 for that extra couple hundred yards but get to keep the sako action they love?

I know its far easier to go remy 700 action and heavy barrel etc etc but am just curious as im having a rifle built soon and am weighing up my options, I do not want to use remington action and cant afford something like a stolle teddy or rpa action but I like the sako/tikka action and the TRG stock </div></div>

If you are talking about being competitive against other similar tactical rifles then the TRG will shoot with any of them, however shooting competitively against a 32" heavy bench gun might leave you at a slight disadvantage. Sako would not design a purpose built Sniper rifle that could not hold its own out to the limits of the cartridge it was intended to shoot.

trg/tikka barrels are very accurate, the factory controls are severe , 5 round at 100 yards must be under 1 MOA.
my tikka tactical (same barrel of trg 22 but 24" not 26") at 1000 yard , 3 rounds in 22 cm...

I'm also glad to hear all the responses on the TRG. I should pick mine up this week. I stole it on GunBroker, I got the highest bid with a good gun dealer, my winning bid was $2,475.00 + $25.00 Flat Shipping. SAKO TRG 22 Black with Phos Fin. I think I did good for a BNIB TRG.

I'm thinking Badger Base and Rings with a Leupold Mark 4 6.5x20x50mm ER/T M1 Front Focal w/ Horus Vision H25 reticle. It's supposed to be out in the next few months. Any thoughts, sorry, not to highjack the thread with my question. Thanks

Mike

I have a TRG 22 and the 300 Mag 42. Incredible accuracy from both of them. One hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards are pretty much the norm if you do things right. I have shot the 308 out to 800 yards and was more than happy with the shot group. It shoots pertty much any bullet sub MOA, but my favorite are the 168 AMAX for the 308 and the 195 Sierra for the 300. Get a Near MFG Muzzle brake and rail. Its a perfect setup for the TRG.

Here is the 100 yard 1/2 inch dot target shot with the 308.
3044929748_69ca25e18a.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tai_Mai_Shu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm thinking Badger Base and Rings with a Leupold Mark 4 6.5x20x50mm ER/T M1 Front Focal w/ Horus Vision H25 reticle. It's supposed to be out in the next few months. Any thoughts, sorry, not to highjack the thread with my question. Thanks

Mike
</div></div>
take a look at the new falcon 5-25 ffp that are currently coming out if they are anything like the 4-14 then you will have a big smile and a extra grand in you pocket and that buys a lot of ammo

D U D E! If someone said that a TRG can't shoot, then they suck as a shooter, because it is NOT the rifle. Maybe the ammo, or most likely the nut behind the gun. But everyone I've seen will shoot under 1/2 MOA. If you are shooting a slow 168 grain bullet, then it may run out of gas past 600-800 yards. Go to a good 175 bullet, and problem solved. They will shoot! Trust me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tai_Mai_Shu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mike
</div></div>
take a look at the new falcon 5-25 ffp that are currently coming out if they are anything like the 4-14 then you will have a big smile and a extra grand in you pocket and that buys a lot of ammo </div></div>

I thought about that too, the only concern I have with going straight out with the Horus Falcon Scope, is that it only has a one year warranty where as the Leupold has a lifetime with a no questions asked policy. It may be worth the extra money up front, then down the road having to purchase a new scope. I would love to go with a S&B or US, but can't afford that much on the glass right now. The NF is a little over priced IMHO. They make a nice scope, but for the price range, I think there are better choices. Thanks for the reply.
wink.gif

Mike

Irishshooter, i know what you are getting at. As Darkhorse says any 'tactical' rifle (remy700, trg, ai) are gonna be at a disadvantage past 600 against a 32'' barreled bench gun that can push 155gr smk's out at 3000 fps and thus keep them supersonic at 1000 to beat the wind. Fclass here in the UK and Ireland missed a trick by not limiting barrel length to 26 or 28 inches in FTR to stop gear heads coming in with monster barreled bench guns to compete against normal .308's, it became an arms race like open class. Where do you shoot? if its Midlands and you are gonna shoot fclass competitively then you will need to consider getting a 'special' .308. If not get a TRG and enjoy it, they are great guns. At BallyK last week i shoot a 15rd string at 600 and had 1 x 4 and the rest 5's and v's with my TRG (and im rubbish) the guns can shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuscalino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Irishshooter, i know what you are getting at. As Darkhorse says any 'tactical' rifle (remy700, trg, ai) are gonna be at a disadvantage past 600 against a 32'' barreled bench gun that can push 155gr smk's out at 3000 fps and thus keep them supersonic at 1000 to beat the wind. Fclass here in the UK and Ireland missed a trick by not limiting barrel length to 26 or 28 inches in FTR to stop gear heads coming in with monster barreled bench guns to compete against normal .308's, it became an arms race like open class. Where do you shoot? if its Midlands and you are gonna shoot fclass competitively then you will need to consider getting a 'special' .308. If not get a TRG and enjoy it, they are great guns. At BallyK last week i shoot a 15rd string at 600 and had 1 x 4 and the rest 5's and v's with my TRG (and im rubbish) the guns can shoot. </div></div>

this why I asked the original question, for the price i could buy a trg 22 I could have a remy 700 action with AI stock and a match barrel which would supposedly be more competitive at 1000yds, thing is I really dont like remington actions. Ideally I would like to run a trg with handloaded ammo rather than fall into the 'arms race' as you call it.

this why I asked the original question said:
Whatever rifle you buy you will have to reload to find a good fast sweet load to compete with. My first rifle was a Remmy7 police .308 and there is no comparison between it and the TRG. As far as tactical rifles go the TRG is up there but just remember it is not a bench gun.

My TRG-22 works great in F-T/R matches out to 1,000 yards. I use Lapua brass, Sierra 175 MatchKings, CCI BR-2 primers, and 45.0 grains of Varget. This gets me 2,777 fps and shows no pressure signs. Anyone who tells you a TRG-22 is not competitive out to 1,000 yards is full of crap.

Gents, I just got a new TRG 22.Any tweeking required with the action screws forend screws etc ie should they torqued to a specific inch pounds or just take it and shoot or is sufficient as is. Due to the design, its not easy as say a Remington action. Sorry for being a bit off topic but there seems to be many replies here from guys with experience with the Trg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents, I just got a new TRG 22.Any tweeking required with the action screws forend screws etc ie should they torqued to a specific inch pounds or just take it and shoot or is sufficient as is. Due to the design, its not easy as say a Remington action. Sorry for being a bit off topic but there seems to be many replies here from guys with experience with the Trg. </div></div>

Dont touch anything just go shoot it.

The only step you may want to consider is cleaning the bore prior to your first range trip. Out of the box, mine had heavy copper from the factory test firing.

Other than that, just shoot it!

Good luck,
Jay

Vin,

I received this advice from SAKO, Finland, some years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Normally, when rifle is assembled at the factory no certain torque is used. Comprehensive testing has showed that slight differences in fixing torque has practically no effect on accuracy on SAKO TRG, normal "hand tight" fixing is sufficent. However if you wish to use certain torque, values have been given mainly for law enforcement armourer purposes.

Action screws/ rear stock screws: 14 Nm
Trigger assembly screw: 10 Nm
Front stock screws: 4 Nm
Cheek piece: 3 Nm
Butt plate: 4 Nm
Muzzle Brake: 10 Nm
</div></div>

Thanks for that, cleared up some questions. If the conversion is right, 14 Nm works out to 123 inch pounds, that seems like alot or maybe the conversion is fucked. Anyone else know the conversion to inch pounds for the values given. Thanks.

Sako/Beretta advise to make a barrel running for the first 50 rounds... If you want learn more, you just have to ask
wink.gif

I have heard that a TRG22 was top 308 at the last ASC. and that same rifle had a 1st and 3rd in the Team ASCs. I think rumor has it that they tend to shoot a little over 600yds up there too.

My guess if your informant failed @ 600 with a TRG22, he would have failed with whatever he drove.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard that a TRG22 was top 308 at the last ASC. and that same rifle had a 1st and 3rd in the Team ASCs. I think rumor has it that they tend to shoot a little over 600yds up there too.

My guess if your informant failed @ 600 with a TRG22, he would have failed with whatever he drove. </div></div>

A1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for that, cleared up some questions. If the conversion is right, 14 Nm works out to 123 inch pounds, that seems like alot or maybe the conversion is fucked. Anyone else know the conversion to inch pounds for the values given. Thanks. </div></div>

1N.m = 8.85in-lb, so yep...123.9

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the replies, it seems i speak to too many opinionated individuals!

found this excellent link too

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek069.html </div></div>

I hear they taste like chicken...

I own two TRG 22's... one in .308 did the damage below in the pic @ 300yds 20 shots. I just sent another brand new TRG 22 to GAP and had it re-chambered in .243, I wont shoot another rifle.

photo-44.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tai_Mai_Shu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm also glad to hear all the responses on the TRG. I should pick mine up this week. I stole it on GunBroker, I got the highest bid with a good gun dealer, my winning bid was $2,475.00 + $25.00 Flat Shipping. SAKO TRG 22 Black with Phos Fin. I think I did good for a BNIB TRG.

Mike
</div></div>

100_0086.jpg

Put a Zeiss on it!

My TRG22 shoots same hole at 100 yds all day. For a factory, out of box rifle, they're hard to beat. I have a USO scope on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dropd57</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tai_Mai_Shu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm also glad to hear all the responses on the TRG. I should pick mine up this week. I stole it on GunBroker, I got the highest bid with a good gun dealer, my winning bid was $2,475.00 + $25.00 Flat Shipping. SAKO TRG 22 Black with Phos Fin. I think I did good for a BNIB TRG.

Mike
</div></div>

Mike
100_0086.jpg

Put a Zeiss on it! </div></div>

Nice....I'll have to take another look at Zeiss.....Hummmm
wink.gif

Mike