• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG versions ?

ToddM

Philanthropist
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
PA
So I searched around and it seems like there's a lot of mis(information) about the TRG versions, stocks and coatings in particular.

First I've heard that the black stocks are lighter/weaker than the green stocks. Sako's specs do list the black stock versions being 1/2lb lighter. The green stock is supposed to be heavier/thicker more durable the military version etc. However, I've also heard that some owners of the green stocks that have chipped or broken are simply black stocks painted over green.

Second what is with the "phosphate" coating? There's a "matte" coating listed most places that I'm assuming is the satin blued you see on some TRG's, and then I'm assuming the phosphate is the more gray parkerized looking coating.

It also seems like at least from some of the pictures I've seen that the barrel is really the only part that is satin blued or phosphate, the action appears coated the same in both versions. Is the barrel coating really the only difference? Seems pretty crazy if it is for the $600 difference in price.

Length of pull? Adjustable with spacers but I couldn't find a spec for what it comes with stock.

Not knocking on the sako at all, just trying to understand the options/differences out there to make a better potential purchase.

Re: TRG versions ?

That's interesting, I know one of the other posts with a TRG for sale in green had a good chip in it and it looks all green under it. So then the question becomes how do you tell the two apart? If there is indeed a stock difference between black and green as far as weight and durability goes it now becomes a crapshoot if some are painted over weaker black stock and some are the stronger heavier green ones.

Unless sako has gone to using a black primer at some point.

From the two TRG's I have, here are some things I see. All the actions are finished in phosphate. Looks no different than a heavy parkerized dark gray. The TRG 22 I have is finished in all phosphate with a green stock, the TRG 42 has blued only barrel with black stock. The stocks look both the same in finish, texture, and size. I really cant tell them apart besides the color. Since my 22 is used alot more, I had wear marks or little chips from use, and under the green is black. Is it primer, good question. I may be wrong here, but why would Sako make the same stock in production using different material that would give them a different weight. It would be easier to make them all the same so production would not change.

Either way, I still like my TRG's and shoot the heck out of them.

It is interesting, but supposedly the green stocks are heavier than their black counterparts. What I've heard is that it's because the green stocks are for the military contracts and to reduce breakage from abuse. I believe the new Tan stocks are also supposed to be the heavier design.

If you go to the sako TRG webpage and download the pdf with specs they list the green version rifles as about 1/2lb heavier than the black, in all 3 versions listed this is consistent (20" TRG22, 26" TRG22, TRG42).

Obviously it can't be a simple typo if it's carried through on 3 different models (6 listed weights).

If you go to the Sako Rifles database pdf on their site, again this trend is followed, the weights of the black version are listed as .2kg lighter than the green versions in all cases.