• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG22 in 6.5x4.7

GorbashUK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Northern Ireland U.K.
Has anybody converted a TRG22 to 6.5x4.7 caliber. I was told its an easy conversion as all thats needed is a new barrel but that sounds too easy. Anybody know????

Re: TRG22 in 6.5x4.7

What you have been told is correct--no idea on how the mags will feed though. My buddy is presently having GAP turn a brand new 22 into a .243.

With the TRG's .473" boltface you can rebarrel to any cartridge using the same face in a short action--with the only caveat being watch out for how well the cartridge mag feeds--i.e. Ackley Improved cases can be a bitch.

any of the 6.5's should work well. i shoot a 6.5x47 myself, but with the 3 inch magazine of the trg22, i might try a 260. might be able to take advantage of the extra powder room.

If the cartridge head diameter is under .472 you are out of luck; unless you know a genius gunsmith that can shim the boltface or talk Dave Kiff into making you one. He told me once that he'd only had one request for a M995 bolt over the years...

Other than that, switchbarrel away!

A buddy and I both had problems with our TRG-22 conversions to 6.5x47L.

With Varget, we experienced pierced or cratered CCI primers before achieving typical 260 velocities (2800fps-2850fps). Single round feeding was also a problem for F-Class comps. due to the cartridge being front heavy and tipping down with 139/140 pills.

While bushing the generous firing pin hole would have fixed the blown primer problem, I decided to rechamber to .260 Rem and haven't regretted it.

(IIRC Zak Smith also had blown primer problems with his AI conversion to 6.5x47L)

A fellow shooter has one in 6XC and it is very accurate and feeds very well from the original 10-shot mags.

Single shot feeding though is a female dog.

BR

Guys thanks for the replies, ive been thinking about a change in the next year and the 6.5x47 came up. Never thought about the .260.