• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG22, near rail, and Athlon Cronus BTR.... what one piece scope mount?

RossinFL

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2004
FL
I have a TRG22, near rail, and Athlon Cronus BTR. Now I need to pick up a one piece scope/ring mount? I have looked at the Near Alphamount, the Spur Mount, and the Badger Unimount. The Badger is a little less expensive which I like. It also appears to provide some options for connecting things to the mount, if I decide to go that route in the future (not sure I will ever do that). I would prefer to stay below $300 for this but will spend more if needed and the value is there. Are there any other options I should be looking at? What would you recommend?

I know it’s more than $300 but my vote is for the Spuhr, I have an ST-3701 on my TRG.

What makes it worth the MPA mentioned in the post above yours? From what I've seen of the Spuhr it allows for more mount points, for things to be mounted to ring assembly. Is that the main advantage?

What makes it worth the MPA mentioned in the post above yours? From what I've seen of the Spuhr it allows for more mount points, for things to be mounted to ring assembly. Is that the main advantage?

I went that route to eliminate the Pic Rail, does MPA make a direct to the dovetail mount like the Spuhr?

0368BAB0-299A-44E0-AC04-E9C498438D45.jpeg

Reactions: ma smith
The $300 NF UL 1 piece is lightweight 200grams...

The $300 ARC 1 piece is a bit heavier at 225g

The $400+ Spuhr mount is heaviest one @~255g...but direct mount is probably saving some as well...YMMV

Last edited:
Oh ok. I didn't see an MPA mount that attached directly to the Sako receiver. I get what you are saying about the Spuhr mount not needing a rail of any type to mount to the receiver. if I went that route I wouldn't be able to use the Near rail that I bought. That's not a deal breaker however.

Richard Near also makes a nice one piece mount.
opps, I see you’ve looked at that option.

Reactions: Krazy_jim
IIRC ARC mount uses a pined hinge in the sides rings to help avoid any twisting moment relative to vertical during scope install. Scope twist is also why the spuhr has its mount angled at 45degrees.

Another real-world benefit of the ARC is that the total number of bolts you need to tighten is lower. ARC has you intalled with 4 times on the torque wrench. For the Spuhr install you have 16 times on the torque wrench.

The downside of ARC is only two bolts on PIC rail so if one loosens only 1 is holding. Alternatively, check out the NF design with 3 bolts because which are also larger and give you another level of redundancy. But both ARC and NF are bigger bolts and should mount solidly since bigger bolts take more bolt stretch and hold tighter (all other things equal).

With spur you get ~4 bolts on the PIC rail for that extra redundancy if you are OK with lots of smaller HW. But keep in mind, on the TRG could be skipping the PIC rail anyway so this is not directly comparable depending on how you pic the spuhr options.
https://images.eurooptic.com/images/products/spuhr/0/spuhr-sp-4602.jpg?w=500

Last edited:
I noticed the ARC1 rings screw together in a different way (kind of hinged). Is there a real world advantage to this design over the typical top and bottom arrangement?
Its just the best simplest way if you get down to it. One bolt for each junction and you cant really install or torque the ring caps unevenly.
They are the bomb