• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG42 help please

beersngars

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
Ohio
Any TRG42 aficionado's here that can give me a little guidance? I have the want for a TRG in 338 Lapua and am looking at one on Gunbroker. I asked a few questions about it and all sounds very positive as far as condition and all but it is made in 2006. Is the 2013 upgrade worth it? Should I keep looking? Any help is appreciated. TIA

Check the barrel twist if it’s the original barrel. Might be too slow, depending on what you want to do. I spend a lot of time with a 2010ish TRG42 338 Lapua (no experience with the newer ones though). No complaints at all other than the weight. I wish it was a few pounds heavier. I put a sidewinder on it but I still don’t find it that enjoyable to shoot.

Check the barrel twist if it’s the original barrel. Might be too slow, depending on what you want to do. I spend a lot of time with a 2010ish TRG42 338 Lapua (no experience with the newer ones though). No complaints at all other than the weight. I wish it was a few pounds heavier. I put a sidewinder on it but I still don’t find it that enjoyable to shoot.
It is the original barrel, so whatever they used. Do you know anything about the dual plunger upgrade? I really don't need it, I just want one.

In 2013 a modified trigger was installed. As far as I know it is not as adjustable as it used to be. Apparently some owners had played around with it too much and the trigger had to be sent in.

There was also a change in the safety lever. Old Model has Kind of Little lever, the new one Has got a „paddle“ Design, which is slightly better/easy to operate

I prefer the pre-‘13 trigger. Barrel was available in 1-10 and 1-12 before that. Maybe not in 2006 though. It might be 1-12. Phosphate guns are worth a little more than blue. The iron sight notch is cool on the phosphate guns.

In 2013 a modified trigger was installed. As far as I know it is not as adjustable as it used to be. Apparently some owners had played around with it too much and the trigger had to be sent in.
OK. I thought the difference was they added a second ejector to the bolt. Maybe both?

OK. I thought the difference was they added a second ejector to the bolt. Maybe both?

yes, Trigger and also second ejector. Also new recoil Pad (softer?) and the bolt handle should be tougher attached To the Rifle, but i dont know how they Managed this

I prefer the pre-‘13 trigger. Barrel was available in 1-10 and 1-12 before that. Maybe not in 2006 though. It might be 1-12. Phosphate guns are worth a little more than blue. The iron sight notch is cool on the phosphate guns.
I called the seller to see if he could tell me the barrel twist. I would assume the 1-10 would be the better choice for the 285's and 300's. Also, when you say phosphate, are you referring to the receiver or the barrel, or both?

I have a trg 42 338LM that I bought in 2006. I fiddled with the trigger too much and wrecked it. They sent me the newer version which is much nicer except I can't get the weight very low like the original. 1:12 twist might not be ideal, but I have shot 300 grainers with superb accuracy. I settled on the hornady 285g eld-m as it is cheaper to shoot and isn't going to push the stability envelope as much. I just shot out to 2055y last month with 3 good hits so I think it's just fine stability wise. I live at 5000ft however. I attached some 500y groups to show its accuracy potential. Unfortunately I am out of retumbo and hear of none to be had indefinitely. Might try some rl26 that I just scored for my 300 wm, but it usually is even scarcer.

Attachments

• 20200804_124309.jpg
    20200804_124309.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200804_124258.jpg
    20200804_124258.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200804_124145.jpg
    20200804_124145.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: