• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trg42 questions

kidkl

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2007
Colorado
Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a trg42 in 338 Lapua sometime soon (within then ext month or so) and I have some questions for those people who have one or are in the know. First, I see there are 2 types of finishes, matte (blued) and phosphate with the phosphate on average ~ $400 more, is it worth the extra $$? Second, what base and rings are you using? I was thinking of getting a near base but I am unsure of what ring size to use. At this point in time I am still undecided on the optic that I would want to put on top of it. Finally, what muzzle brake are you using and do you like it? I am currently trying to decide between the Sako and the Near muzzle break. I liked the badger FTE break, but do not want to have to send it to a gunsmith for install.

Regards,
Kris

Re: Trg42 questions

Also,

For those of you who are reloading who's dies are you using and how do you like them? I was thinking about going with redding but would like to know if someone has a cheaper/better alternative.

Hello Kris,
I have a TRG, i prefer the STEALTH one, the phospate finish, it is VERY durable, i hunt cariboo and moose with it, up north where i live, we have very good condition to test rife, snow, very coold (read -40 and below sometime) for hunting caribou is usual, i have this rifle for 3 year now and the finish it still good. I really like the plastic bolt and trigger shoe in thoses cold weather. I have the complete kit from Richard at Near, base, ring, muzzle brake, you wont be disapointed. Near brake are as effective as sako (the only 2 i have used) but send less debrit when shooting prone. I think i will give ROEDALE brake a try, i hear good thing about it. My scope is a NF 5.5-22x56

Sorry for the reload but i have bought all the kit for that but never do it yet, i shoot blackhills matha 250gr for paper and naturalis for hunting with great result
I really like my TRG, it's a good buy
Hope it will help you

Marc

Marc,

Can you take some pictures of your break? I would like to get an idea of what it looks like from all sides: IE top, front, left and right. Also, what height rings are you using?

Thanks,
Kris

It's "brake". And scope ring height depends on the scope being used. It's a system, with parts interdependent on specific components. As to the Near brake, go to his website to look. Maybe call him for specs/pics. A little "SEARCH" initiative will take you a long way, friend.

Learn to make a sandwich, instead of asking somebody to hand you one.
smile.gif

I have the "cheap" model with the blued barrel and black stock. I can paint the barrel to dull it out, as well as the stock to green if I feel the need.
Badger Ordinance 20 MOA base, Leopold rings (medium) with a Bushnell Elite 4.5-30 x 50 scope. Make sure to lock-tite the base screws.
I'm no help on reloading, but I'll be setting up to do so soon. I've used the Forster micrometer style bullet setting dies before with good results, and they won't break the bank.
Muzzle brake is the Sako factory unit, as is the bipod. Just take a deep breath when you see the price for the bipod, they are not cheap. But they are really nice and work like a dream.

I've got both the blued finish 42 and the phosphate 42 with the green stock - here is the question that I asked myself after I determined that the conditions in the AO I'm using it in wouldn't be a determining factor on either finish:

Does a finish make it shoot better? No

You either need a specific finish or you want a specific finish - but if you don't need it, you need to determine how much you want it. $400.00 (on the low end) dollars is a decent amount of scratch that could be used in other ways more effectively if you don't need the phosphate finish. Now, if you're in AK shooting caribou, you need to get the right finish!!

Don't get a green phosphate TRG 42 and then put a Super Sniper on it because you don't have the cash to get a high end optic because you spent too much on a finish you don't need.

I like the green stock, but my black 42 has the newer 1:10" twist, so I swapped out the barreled action into the green - so now I have a 1:12" barreled action in phosphate in a black stock just sitting around.

did any one use the folding stock of the TRG 42? ive not seen one yet this side of europe and i wonder how it performs particularly after seeing the hefty pricetag on it!

This is the only pic i have of the brake, 3 port on 1 side, 2 port on other side...
videcartes029-copy.jpg

Scope set-up, for my 56mm scope, i use med ring, in you call Richard at Near, and give him the scope you are using, he will be able to tell you what ring to use, Since they don't publish their spec, it is hard to calculate yourself...
videcartes024-copy.jpg

I don't own the trg42, but I do have the the Armalite AR30 with a 5.5-22x56 nightforce. The muzzle brake on it performs very well, I could actually watch my shots hit through the scope at 250yds shooting prairie dogs the other day. I don't know much about the other muzzle brakes but I have heard the JP's almost eliminate the recoil completely.

As for reloading spend the money and GET the redding competition die set. It has seperate dies for full length sizing and neck sizing. Allowing you to only size the neck if there is no need to size the case. Longer brass life. The neck sizer uses an interchangeable bushing. Get the titanium/nitride one at .364 or .365, if using Lapua brass which is also the only way to go. This is the size most use and works well for me. The neck sizer and bullet seater have micrometer adustments on them so it is easy to make changes.
They are spendy dies but if you are spending that much on a gun you are going to want to load the best ammo you can to get the most out of your gun.
I haven't started finding the most accurate load yet but the Lapua scenar bullets 250gn or 300gn sound very good. Along with the sierra matchking. I am going to use retumbo but there are multiple powders out there that should perform well.