• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trg42 questions

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
So I wasn't considering one but the local gun shop has a pre13 trg42 in 338LM with the bipod for $1,500. But the barrel is trashed. They said it had a suck case left in the chamber. The barrel itself looks ok with no real firecracking. The chamber shows some pretty extreme pitting.

Is it worth picking up and either searching for a take off factory barrel or rebarrel to either 300 norma or 338 norma?

My experience is that you need to bear in mind the slow twist rate. 285 Hornady ELD-M is at the very limit (and somewhat under) its ability to stabilise. More suited to 250gr.

Also, longer projectiles are somewhat unsuitable in COAL for the magazine - thereby another reason for 250gr projectiles.

Additionally, the pre-13 only has one ejector - which isn’t too much of a problem.

Finally, they’re really quite light, which is good - but recoil is significant. 250’s again are much more manageable.

A rebarreling to 300 Norma will fix all issues and be a better rifle in every category. The 250gr .338 projectiles are not ideal, where as the 230gr class .308 projectiles are significantly better ballistically, less drift, more velocity, less recoil, cheaper, and marginally less energy at shorter range (retain more at longer).

Do it.

The current 1-12 is a non issue since it needs a barrel. But how hard is it to find a take off. I sure wouldn't mind a lighter (then my AI) 338lm for hunting.

It's a good price. Buy it and have SAC rebarrel with the twist and chamber you want. Best of everything then.

Reactions: Modoc