• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Triarc 12.5 Mini RECCE Vs...

RTV

Rock the Vote
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2019
I have been trying to find a high quality factory 12.5" AR15 with good accuracy because it seems to be a perfect compromise in length/ Velocity that would give me good 0-500 yard capability all the while not turning my rifle into a Javelin with a suppressor mounted.

I found Triarc on YouTube and they seem to be making the best "Mini RECCE" i can find.
Any firsthand expirence with Triarc rifles? Grand Thumb had good things to say about them but other than that not a lot of user feedback that I have found.

Any other solid 12.5's i have missed?
Please no build your own recommendations just looking for factory rifles.

Second for the SOLGW rifles. I have the 12.5 Sage Dynamics upper on a SOLGW lower and it’s a solid shooter. They make high quality rifles without a bunch of gimmicks or bullshit, and prior to corona they weren’t overpriced. Great group of dudes, highly recommend. Shot tons of their rifles at their shop and at the range with no malfunctions, including two different Select fire rifles of theirs.

Reactions: RTV
Everybody seems to recommend something other than Triarc. Is that because they are the new kid on the block and not very many have tried their stuff or because there is something wrong with the product/CS?

Hodges looks promising and so does MSTN although 2500$ is already above my comfort level for an AR so I wouldn't want to go higher than that.

I’m still letting the nitride AR barrel deal teeth a little longer. In theory, I like it. The best names in the biz haven’t adopted it yet, though. That is telling to me. I’m not saying I won’t try it, I feel better buying more tried technology at the moment.

I just bought the 12.5 hodge barrel to build out my own blaster. The majority of the accuracy reports I have read seem like it is an acceptable accuracy tube for a LPVO and she’ll last a LONG time under a mini recce firing schedule. If you were thinking something higher magged for your optic, I’d look at a custom Bartlein or Proof barrel.

Doesn't BCM make a 12.5? Thats is probably your best bang for the buck if they make one. Other than the manufacturers mentioned you may have to go custom.
I believe triarc and SOLGW make a 13.9/13.7 with a welded muzzle device. Depending on where the ATF wants to go with the whole brace/pistol topic it might be a good idea.

Last edited:
I’m still letting the nitride AR barrel deal teeth a little longer. In theory, I like it. The best names in the biz haven’t adopted it yet, though. That is telling to me. I’m not saying I won’t try it, I feel better buying more tried technology at the moment.

I just bought the 12.5 hodge barrel to build out my own blaster. The majority of the accuracy reports I have read seem like it is an acceptable accuracy tube for a LPVO and she’ll last a LONG time under a mini recce firing schedule. If you were thinking something higher magged for your optic, I’d look at a custom Bartlein or Proof barrel.

I have a Razor G3 that will be topping this gun off.

What type of accuracy do hodges typically get? Their reputation seems to be up there with KAC as far as general prestige goes.

Ideally I would like this gun to be 1 MOA with Black hills 77gr TMK/SMK

Reactions: FishinGuns
Oh I’m willing to bet they build great rifles. I have no idea what they cost though. If flannel daddy enjoyed it then I bet they are good to go.

I have a Razor G3 that will be topping this gun off.

What type of accuracy do hodges typically get? Their reputation seems to be up there with KAC as far as general prestige goes.

Ideally I would like this gun to be 1 MOA with Black hills 77gr TMK/SMK
From what I have gleaned, solid .75-1.0 with black hills. Some have done a little better with handloads. Gen 3 razor would be a slick rig on a 12.5 gun.

Nothing wrong with Triarc rifles, they’re popular in the Dallas area for sure. It just seems like you’re paying a lot for nothing really innovative, just a brand. So for the money I’d rather go with something else.

For that kind of money I would go for a KAC or LMT, can't get a 12.5", but they both have an 11.5". IMO they are 1a and 1b in the AR world, both are extremely reliable and accurate. The LMT will be a little cheaper, and both can be bought as a pistol so you can form 1 it if you choose.

I'm sure Triarc are great rifles, but how are they different than Bravo Company, SOLGW, or any other company assembling a standard AR correctly with good parts? Basically what is different about them over BCM or SOLGW, etc for the extra $500+ in cost for base rifle?

If I recall correctly, the main difference and TriArc's claim to fame in the AR category is that they use Single Edge Polygonal rifling on their barrels, which appears to be the same as what F.J. Fedderson uses in their barrels. I haven't shot one, but the rifling concept is novel.

Their Trilock rail also appears to be very similar to the Hodge wedgelock rails on first glance, albeit with more MLOK mounting points.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
For that kind of money I would go for a KAC or LMT, can't get a 12.5", but they both have an 11.5". IMO they are 1a and 1b in the AR world, both are extremely reliable and accurate. The LMT will be a little cheaper, and both can be bought as a pistol so you can form 1 it if you choose.

I'm sure Triarc are great rifles, but how are they different than Bravo Company, SOLGW, or any other company assembling a standard AR correctly with good parts? Basically what is different about them over BCM or SOLGW, etc for the extra $500+ in cost for base rifle?

The reason I am favoring the Triarc over the other two options is triarc is the only one with ambi controls... I could add ambi mag/safety to the SOLGW or BCM but I want a complete factory rifle for peace of mind since this will be a defensive rifle. Otherwise I would build a rifle.

The KAC and LMT make ambi rifles but not 12.5.

Reactions: jda2631
Can't remember where I saw it, but some people were dog-piling Triarc for some shoddy assembly and things that should not be issues in guns for the cost.

Also guns with ambi-bolt releases are over-rated. I've had KAC's and LMT MARs and never bothered with that feature. It's great for competitions where you have to close the bolt with a built position. It's not something I would break my neck to make sure I had...

If you want a good 12.5" that's a known entity, get one of the Hodge's...

Can't remember where I saw it, but some people were dog-piling Triarc for some shoddy assembly and things that should not be issues in guns for the cost.

Also guns with ambi-bolt releases are over-rated. I've had KAC's and LMT MARs and never bothered with that feature. It's great for competitions where you have to close the bolt with a built position. It's not something I would break my neck to make sure I had...

If you want a good 12.5" that's a known entity, get one of the Hodge's...

I don't care about the bolt its the magazine release i want ambi and to a lesser extent the safety ( i can work with that though.) i am just so much faster as a lefty when the magazine release can be pressed with my trigger finger. otherwise i have to do what rightys have to do with the bolt release everytime i want to drop a mag... not much but seconds add up and all that.

sorry i guess i should have clarified im one of those lefty freaks.

Ah...that's easy then.

Badger Ordnance C1 safety. Can be configured 90 or 45 throw with levers can be placed at your preference. Best safety in the game.

And then Norgon, KAC or Forward controls design for the mag release aspect.

Boom...everything you need on a milspec lower.

I don't care about the bolt its the magazine release i want ambi and to a lesser extent the safety ( i can work with that though.) i am just so much faster as a lefty when the magazine release can be pressed with my trigger finger. otherwise i have to do what rightys have to do with the bolt release everytime i want to drop a mag... not much but seconds add up and all that.

I'm going to take a contrarian viewpoint here, as I shoot "wrong handed": I think that ambi-controls on the AR platform will set you up for catastrophic failure with any AR pattern rifle other than another ambi-lower or your own personal gun.

I've seen lefties who own ambi-guns get handed a stock AR by their buddy and immediately have trouble with the most basic operations. They typically take a few moments to figure out how to use their index finger to swipe the safety on/off (the method that I actually prefer), fumble through a reload because they can't magically find their ambi mag release, and then come up confused when the right side bolt-release is nowhere to be found... and eventually realize that it's on the left side of the rifle. It's quite funny to watch - almost as funny as when someone tries to use the right side of the charging handle on a non-ambi AR to quickly conduct a chamber check or clear a malfunction.

The point that I'm getting at is the following: if you want to be able to pick up and shoot any AR (or any other platform for that matter) proficiently, try to keep the controls as close to stock as you can to keep consistency. If you don't care about that, by all means, make your rifles your own, just bear in mind that you're creating a specialization and training to something very specific that may not be replicable across other platforms.

This is coming from someone who really doesn't like ambi-safety selectors on ARs, and made a conscious decision not to add ambi-controls on anything - unless the guns come like that in stock configuration. That being said, KAC ambi-lowers are really, really slick.

I was looking at Triarc and Criterion as they are similarly priced. Apparently, chrome lined barrels are grossly inaccurate ;) but 1 MOA seems easily achievable with a Criterion and you get the benefits of CL.

I'll have to look into Hodge more but $400+ on an AR barrel that won't shoot much more than 500 yds seems a little steep for me when there are quality barrels for less.

Of course, gas port sizing is critical on these shorter guns and I know Criterion and Triarc do that well. The Hodge 12.5 I saw was designed for 556 loads and a suppressor which makes me think it would be undergassed with 223 loads and no suppressor.

If you want a SS barrel then the Noveske 12.5 Carbine gas is the only way to go. Mine is a solid shooter that I have had out to 500 yards with no issues. It works with any ammo I put in it and it runs with and without a can with zero issues.

The point that I'm getting at is the following: if you want to be able to pick up and shoot any AR (or any other platform for that matter) proficiently, try to keep the controls as close to stock as you can to keep consistency.

A fair point, but a little dated. I know some dudes who won't get into the pistol RDS game because of EMP's

I say learning to run a stock AR is like learning AR irons. You should indeed familiarize yourself so you have a frame of reference stored in your memory and then drive the fuck on into 2020.

I'd rather tune my kit and maximize my kit first than worry about what I'm gonna do in the theoretical event that I gotta pick up some poor soul's shitbox PSA. Reminds of what a certain LE sniper school did when they wouldn't allow students to use rear bags the entire sniper course because "what if you leave your rearbag in the squad and have to take a shot without it?" Motherfucker...I ain't gonna forget my essential kit.
TRAIN to achieve optimal performance, PLAN for when things might go bad. Some dudes get all twisted up and flip-flop and do the opposite.

Ambi selectors are no longer uncommon. That said, I would pay attention to how they attach. One thing I like about the KAC is that if you lose the bolt-on left, side you are left with just a standard safety in the event of failure. Badger Ord, the levers are pinned like on the newer HK's. Pretty solid option but the pins could theoretically walk and the odds of losing both levers is pretty unlikely. I do not care for the ones where the levers are bolted on each side.

The ambi mag release...yeah, that might be less common and the methodology of aftermarket stuff runs the gamut. One should know the theory, but I'm still going to optimize my kit.

And regarding the barrels....dudes turning their noses up to a 12.5 that will "only" get them to 500y. I know this is "Sniper's Hide" but for fuck sake. I'll take some weight savings, correct gassing, and longevity with mine and you can have back whatever fraction of an inch you guys think you're getting.

Lots of good info here however I just realized that Triarc has no warranty printed on their website anywhere. The only thing I found was a return policy which stated all firearm sales are FINAL!

which on a 2,000$ AR changes my answer to a HELL NO!

Lots of good info here however I just realized that Triarc has no warranty printed on their website anywhere. The only thing I found was a return policy which stated all firearm sales are FINAL!

Thats just gross, I hope its just hidden somewhere.

@RTV have you dropped them an email regarding the warranty? Might be useful.

I'm left handed and run Troy and Forward Controls Design ambi mag releases. the work well and I find them very fast. If I favored any it would be the Forward Controls unit.

If you want a SS barrel then the Noveske 12.5 Carbine gas is the only way to go. Mine is a solid shooter that I have had out to 500 yards with no issues. It works with any ammo I put in it and it runs with and without a can with zero issues.

Wolf steel cased?

I had one and it would not, ran great and was accurate with home rolled 77s.

So I reached out to triarc about the warranty and they said

"We offer a lifetime warranty on our firearms as long as it has not been tinkered with."

I’ve messed with 2 triarc 12.5 barrels. We ran them suppressed full time. With good ammo, accuracy was better than average. Quality seemed good and they shot soft. My pick is between them and centurion arms

Reactions: Tact999
Anyone want to give those dice a roll? Their rifles sure do seem nice...

in their Defense they have been super quick responding to emails. over the past week i have probably shot them like 5 emails with questions and they are always on top of it never more than a 24hr wait which i find impressive considering how busy they must be right now.

Reactions: Leftie
I just saw a video on YouTube made by Triarc with Rugged suppressors about how rugged makes a Flash hider for them that is long enough to be pinned to a 13.9 barrel.... Rugged is the one that makes my Micro30 suppressor so if I can get my hands on that I am having serious second thoughts on going through all the NFA/Pistol BS...

What do you all thing is the extra inch amd a half for the 12.5 worth the tax stamp? Not really interested in a pistol brace with the Razor G3 it deserves a good cheekweld.

I just saw a video on YouTube made by Triarc with Rugged suppressors about how rugged makes a Flash hider for them that is long enough to be pinned to a 13.9 barrel.... Rugged is the one that makes my Micro30 suppressor so if I can get my hands on that I am having serious second thoughts on going through all the NFA/Pistol BS...

What do you all thing is the extra inch amd a half for the 12.5 worth the tax stamp? Not really interested in a pistol brace with the Razor G3 it deserves a good cheekweld.

Have you tried the SBA4? Thing is basically a stock.....I mean brace....cough cough.

Have you tried the SBA4? Thing is basically a stock.....I mean brace....cough cough.

yeah but it might be a bit suspicious if im prone shooting @1000 with a bipoded pistol lol (i know its not a 1000 yard gun but i like to press the limits at the range for fun)

Where I have found that practical barrel length matters is for room clearing. Keep in mind that a MK18 equipped with a suppressor will run you out to about 14-15" in overall length, which is very different to manipulate than a 16.1" barrel with another four or so inches of suppressor hanging off the front. If this is a concern to you, then I'd avoid a 16.1" OAL to the barrel through a pin and weld.

This is coming from someone who thinks that, if you are required to have a barrel length of 16.1" on the gun, you might as well get as much barrel for your buck as you can, because more barrel means more contact with rifling, greater projectile velocity, and the ability to choose a mid-length gas system without necessarily having to sacrifice a supremely reliable gun suppressed/unsuppressed with your choice of ammunition, if that's your thing. This is a relative oversimplification (and there are others on here that have much more experience than I related to this topic), but worth considering.

A 12.5" splits the difference nicely in that it is quite maneuverable with a suppressor (compared to longer barrels), and will pretty comfortably get you out to 500 yards (or past). They also are really smooth shooting - I wasn't a believer until a buddy of mine handed me his 12.5" SBR to shoot (it was a Noveske, go figure) nearly a decade ago, and I saw the light.

I know that if I were to build an AR right now, it would likely be an SBR lower with a 12.5" upper and one of those B5 systems collapsible precision stocks. Although it's really not needed, I'd like to think that the adjustable length of pull and adjustable comb are nifty features over a SOPMOD or Vltor I/Emod/Magpul option, especially when proned out.

No experience with factory built uppers(not paying anyone for something I can do)but I have built 2 using ARP 12.5" barrels and love the setup. I run a 5" 30PSS on the 6.8 for deer and don't see how you could get a better hunting rifle for less than 300yd shots. The other is a .223 wylde and is as accurate as any 18"+ barrel I have.

The only disadvantage with them is; 1. tax stamp if you want to use a real stock, 2. loss of velocity. Neither of these are a issue for me as the compact package makes up for both.

Is 12.5 your only option? if you open up to 11.5 and up in length that will add several other options to consider. I have a PWS 11.85 rig that has been impressive at the 500-600 yard range. It is a proprietary long stroke piston so that does have some draw backs. There are quite a few other options in the 11.5 - 12 inch range though if you are will to drop another inch possibly.

I think the above if very relevant. If you read in between the lines, the ATF has a hard on against braces right now. First with Q's honeybadger and now with the SBA4. Unless you're planning to Form 1, I'd go with a 13.7 or 13.9 and pin/weld a muzzle device. The extra 1.2" isn't going to make or break you.

Reactions: rlsmith1 and RTV
11.5 gives up a little bit too much velocity for my intended purposes as a 0-500 yard rifle. That plus the gas system... no hard evidence but it seems to me a 12.5 middy with suppressor will balance itself quite nicely and not beat the gun to death with high pressure 5.56 loads which is important to me since I primarily plan on running black hills Mk262 and 77grTMK once you can find it in stock again anyways.

I'm sure I could make an 11.5 work and I have very little doubt that I will eventually be adding a DDM4V7 11.5" to the collection but my go to rifle i am hot on being a 12.5.

I had a Triarc 12.5 as a T&E gun for a few months earlier this year. By the time I got it out had been passed around enough that it had over 10k rounds on it. The thing ran great with or without my Surefire Mini. It was smooth, and shot our duty ammo (55gr Hornady GMX) as well as anything else has. It flat ran with our practice ammo, frangible, and Sims. I didn't clean it at all from the way it showed up over 1000 rounds. It had one fail to eject with our Winchester practice ammo early on, but that was it.

I don't know if it would reach sub MOA with match or handloaded ammo. That GMX stuff is frustrating as hell. About 70% of the rounds will be in a nice group, and about 30% will be grossly out there, doubling the group size in random directions. It shot our practice ammo surprisingly well, just over 1MOA on a 5 shot group if my memory serves.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself if I needed another rifle. It handled well, all my comms with the company were smooth, and they were very helpful throughout the process. This was one of their Ceracoated guns & for a demo rifle the finish was in great shape.

• Love
I had a Triarc 12.5 as a T&E gun for a few months earlier this year. By the time I got it out had been passed around enough that it had over 10k rounds on it. The thing ran great with or without my Surefire Mini. It was smooth, and shot our duty ammo (55gr Hornady GMX) as well as anything else has. It flat ran with our practice ammo, frangible, and Sims. I didn't clean it at all from the way it showed up over 1000 rounds. It had one fail to eject with our Winchester practice ammo early on, but that was it.

I don't know if it would reach sub MOA with match or handloaded ammo. That GMX stuff is frustrating as hell. About 70% of the rounds will be in a nice group, and about 30% will be grossly out there, doubling the group size in random directions. It shot our practice ammo surprisingly well, just over 1MOA on a 5 shot group if my memory serves.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself if I needed another rifle. It handled well, all my comms with the company were smooth, and they were very helpful throughout the process. This was one of their Ceracoated guns & for a demo rifle the finish was in great shape.

aw hell and i was just about ready to forget about the stamp BS and stick to my 16" javelin with a can... this forum gets expensive.

seriously great feedback though it sounds like it will be exactly what i am looking for in this rifle.
Thank you.

Reactions: YammyMonkey

"Q: As we wrap up, is there anything else you’d like to let our readers know on why they should look into TRIARC Systems?
Chris Reeves, TRIARC Systems – I’d start with our team. Everybody on our team is extremely dedicated. We’re a solid group that is passionate and we work hard. Everybody cares, and that permeates into our product. We lifetime warranty everything. I’m not ever going to sit here and argue with customer. If the gun is not performing the way he wants it to, we 100% warranty the rifle. Anything manufactured by us, we warranty…no questions asked. We’re going to make sure your rifle performs to your standard."

Had a hard time believing a company that people rave about so much had no warranty. guns break. even the best ones. No warrantys a big deal.
They claim lifetime warranty. period. Lots of other good info about triarc in that article.

oh and all this I hate ambi talk.... you guys are gay.

Last edited:
I'm going to take a contrarian viewpoint here, as I shoot "wrong handed": I think that ambi-controls on the AR platform will set you up for catastrophic failure with any AR pattern rifle other than another ambi-lower or your own personal gun.

I've seen lefties who own ambi-guns get handed a stock AR by their buddy and immediately have trouble with the most basic operations. They typically take a few moments to figure out how to use their index finger to swipe the safety on/off (the method that I actually prefer), fumble through a reload because they can't magically find their ambi mag release, and then come up confused when the right side bolt-release is nowhere to be found... and eventually realize that it's on the left side of the rifle. It's quite funny to watch - almost as funny as when someone tries to use the right side of the charging handle on a non-ambi AR to quickly conduct a chamber check or clear a malfunction.

The point that I'm getting at is the following: if you want to be able to pick up and shoot any AR (or any other platform for that matter) proficiently, try to keep the controls as close to stock as you can to keep consistency. If you don't care about that, by all means, make your rifles your own, just bear in mind that you're creating a specialization and training to something very specific that may not be replicable across other platforms.

This is coming from someone who really doesn't like ambi-safety selectors on ARs, and made a conscious decision not to add ambi-controls on anything - unless the guns come like that in stock configuration. That being said, KAC ambi-lowers are really, really slick.

this reasoning only makes sense in a fantasy world where you have to fight with battlefield recovery weapons. In reality, people die with their first rifle/issue rifle for better or worse.

don’t fall for this “universal skill” tacti bullshit. People who are lefties and go to war use lefty shit because it’s better.

this reasoning only makes sense in a fantasy world where you have to fight with battlefield recovery weapons. In reality, people die with their first rifle/issue rifle for better or worse.

don’t fall for this “universal skill” tacti bullshit. People who are lefties and go to war use lefty shit because it’s better.

I get where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree with the don't fall for the "universal skill" BS. My above post that you quoted just brings up an opinion based on experiences and noticing that specialization, while better, also can have drawbacks, so I'll clarify how the reasoning came about, and it isn't from fantasyland and battlefield recovery weapons:

The reasoning comes from having experiences where I've been given a "factory stock" gun to use and asked "do you know how to use one of these proficiently?" because there was a need for me to have a gun to use, and I didn't have my own in those circumstances. For me, it is a matter of pragmatism, and is my choice. Everyone else's choices and opinions might be different.

I agree that shit designed for people who shoot left-handed is better for tasks shooting left handed (most of the time) than the same compared to a stock gun. I'm just calling to attention for the OP that this is a preference and that, like every preference and choice, it is a relative trade-off.

I get where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree with the don't fall for the "universal skill" BS. My above post that you quoted just brings up an opinion based on experiences and noticing that specialization, while better, also can have drawbacks, so I'll clarify how the reasoning came about, and it isn't from fantasyland and battlefield recovery weapons:

The reasoning comes from having experiences where I've been given a "factory stock" gun to use and asked "do you know how to use one of these proficiently?" because there was a need for me to have a gun to use, and I didn't have my own in those circumstances. For me, it is a matter of pragmatism, and is my choice. Everyone else's choices and opinions might be different.

I agree that shit designed for people who shoot left-handed is better for tasks shooting left handed (most of the time) than the same compared to a stock gun. I'm just calling to attention for the OP that this is a preference and that, like every preference and choice, it is a relative trade-off.

my comment way too aggressive and didn’t need to be, sorry for that. You are right that if you may be stuck with the basic form of any weapon system you need to be able to use it.

Kyle Rittenhouse had to fight with a weapon he had never held before that evening.

Kyle Rittenhouse had to fight with a weapon he had never held before that evening.

Kyle Rittenhouse wasnt old enough to purchase his own rifle.
if it was his own rifle im sure he would have modified it... not saying that the learn to use standard config rifle argument isnt valid
but Kyle isnt a good example of this.