• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trick to Clean Lanolin off Brass!

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    A member turned me onto this, Woolite! Apparently someone tried it on another forum and found it worked. I found some in the laundry and ran a quick test at 2am in the kitchen (hey, I was excited!). I'll be damned if it isn't promising, I can swear it's breaking down the lube and I tried solid lanolin too for a control and it seems to be working on it albeit slower. Seemed to clean it from my hands MUCH better than Dawn, FWIW, which basically does nothing. Note all this was done in COLD water, since that's what most of us will be using.

The pictures of another fellow that has done it in a large tumbler looked very promising indeed --shiny brass, not the dull stuff you usually wind up with due to the lanolin not breaking down in traditional detergents.

Now we usually put citrus in there, I'm not too sure if that's necessary or what it'll accomplish --I think the Woolite's claim to fame is that it raises Ph, so addition of citrus would lower it thus negating some of the surfacant qualities I'd imagine. For sure we need to do some more testing but I think we're onto something here.

I lube my cases with lanolin diluted in alcohol. I wash it off same way I clean cases prior to sizing: wet tumbling without media with hot water, whatever dish soap is in the sink dispenser, and a little bit of Lemishine.

No reason to add yet another cleaning product

Before investing in the lanolin set up, I'll try the generic on Imperial case lube, which is my go to lube on 1X 308 cases fired from bolt guns. Nothing seams to remove that lube from cases

I roll the cases on an old T-shirt on the floor. It gets 95% of the lube off, enough to proceed with the next step.

I sometimes use lanolin. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.

I lube my cases with lanolin diluted in alcohol. I wash it off same way I clean cases prior to sizing: wet tumbling without media with hot water, whatever dish soap is in the sink dispenser, and a little bit of Lemishine.

I made up a batch of the lanolin/alcohol lube a while bak, and it's been sitting for a few months. I notice the level in the jar is down, is that because the alcohol is evaporating? Have you run into this? I assume I could just add more alcohol??
    Thanks, Kevin

I made up a batch of the lanolin/alcohol lube a while bak, and it's been sitting for a few months. I notice the level in the jar is down, is that because the alcohol is evaporating? Have you run into this? I assume I could just add more alcohol??
    Thanks, Kevin
    Yes alcohol will find gaps you cannot believe and it's very volatile (the scientific volatile, not the vernacular)

Tumble in corncob media with an ounce of mineral spirits paint thinner sprinkled in the media as the tumbler vibrates. Works on Imperial too.

Reactions: Changed
    Buy a bottle of 409
    Empty out the contents, use the bottle to spray acetone on your brass. It’ll remove all stickiness.

courtesy of SoTex Barbie Ken, aka Morgan
    Or denatured alcohol.

That did not work for me at all, brass still had a film on it after tumbling after being lubed with one shot. Been having to dry tumble to get it off.

ive yet to find a cleaning agent that in water will clean it off, this may be worth a try.

Reactions: HK-93
    Small amount of tide liquid detergent with water in a tumbler.
    Do not fill completely must have an air gap.
    Cleans brass like new or removes Lanolin.

Don't doubt the above will work. And probably great in small tumblers. A US cleaner will work too and since it gets hot the detergent used isn't that big of a deal.

But in a cement mixer, acetone and any chemical for that matter, are out. Hot water will work, I knew that, but you'd need a lot of it. The usual Ajax and lemishine weren't cutting it, the lanolin just attracted the dirt. FYI, Lanolin is an old school method for waterpoofing clothing, bags and other items.

Just wrote this to let you guys know Woolite shows promise. It may or may not be a solution, but right now it could be. I've seen a picture of a batch ran in a mixer with pins and cold water like I do but with Woolite and it turned out shiny.

Tested it out with three pieces of brass in a bowl of cold water and got similar results so I label it "promising" until it can be tested in cement mixers. Won't be able to get mine out until summer but I won't feel bad if someone beats me to it.

Reactions: bunny too