• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savageeaglenavy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2012
I am looking for a 22, 23 or 27 for my wife as she finally gets it and can handle the recoil after she listened to me. So now I am looking for I think a 23 for her because it has capacity and plenty or grip for her to control the weapon.
I have been looking at different lasers and wanted to know if anyone has any experience/input in that area.
I also want to find out ways to lessen the felt recoil for my wifes weapon when I get it within the month. ie should I change recoil spring---what can be done to help reduce flip and recoil. Besides a comp or a different caliber.

Thank you for your input.

I am looking for a 22, 23 or 27 for my wife as she finally gets it and can handle the recoil after she listened to me. So now I am looking for I think a 23 for her because it has capacity and plenty or grip for her to control the weapon.
I have been looking at different lasers and wanted to know if anyone has any experience/input in that area.
I also want to find out ways to lessen the felt recoil for my wifes weapon when I get it within the month. ie should I change recoil spring---what can be done to help reduce flip and recoil. Besides a comp or a different caliber.

Thank you for your input.

I'm not sure if there is much you can do about the recoil. I love my 23, been a daily carry for years. A couple things that might be nice for her is to install the 3.5 lb trigger bar and get the extended slide release if she has small hands. Other than that I put some trijicon night sights on my gun over 5 years ago and they are still as bright as the day I bought them.

All my Glocks get night sights, a trigger job, and frame texturing. For the 23, I'd get both the KKM 9mm conversion barrel (threaded). Then pick up an Advantage Arms .22LR kit. You'll have a 3 caliber pistol that you'll always be able to find ammo for.

Forget the extended slide stop, teach her to use the support hand or snag the sights to release slide.
A weapon light is a bonus also, just remember a drawback is that the weapon is pointing at something you want to identify.

Like ZLB said a 22lr conversion kit is great for low cost practice and nailing that muscle memory.

Mine likes my 27. Took her awhile to get used to the recoil after shooting the 19 but after sending a few hundred rounds down range she is fine with it. She usually sticks with the 27 now when out shooting.

I would highly suggest TFO sights for her G23. I have them on mine and they are very easy to see day/ night. As for recoil I agree with these guys, im not sure theres a whole lot you can do. My suggestion have her shoot about 500 rounds and she will get used to it. Just my opinion! Good luck...

Glock use to make a 23C, it was ported from the factory. I know they made it in the gen3 and not sure about the gen4. Might check into that if you haven't already got one on the way.

The problem with the C models is the loss of night vision I have heard about and there is also the restrictions when you have to fire from a close to body situation. Does anyone have any C models that can shine some light on these concerns.

I personally stay away from compensated pistols unless they're dedicated race guns. Since this is a primary defense pistol, get the 23 and see how she does. Worst case scenario is you drop in the 9mm barrel and use some less aggressive ammo than full bore .40

I echo the above users in their statements about the compensated models. They do look neat at night time though.

I agree with the above and reviews I have read comp models are out. I think the problem she has racking the pistol can be solved with about 500 rounds down range, practice practice and I read an article a out getting the slide texturized at home with a dremel. I have all the attachments. Basically she chalks her hands and holds the gun where it would be comfortable. I am going to deepen the finger grooves and remove some material under the trigger gaurd to all for a higher grip. I like the idea of putting skateboard tap by the rear sight. I will I switch out of a SS guide rod, larger mag release, lighter trigger bar, install some great night sights I think from hi biz. The last major modifi action wil be the slide, I am going to polish the slide rails along with all contact surfaces to smooth it all out and finish it off with frog lube.

Sorry for the error yes slide stop and for the price of 15 bucks I'm going to set it up this way and if she want something to change then I will change it. That is one good thing about glock you can customize it in so many ways and it does not cost that much to do so.

I dont know how much your going to see from polishing the slide, the glock rides on those tiny inserts and the contact is already pretty minimal. I like the ghost rocket 3.5lb with the different springs which brings it back up to about 4.25-4.5lb, noticably heavier than the light connector while still being smoother with a better release than the heavy OEM package.

I second the ghost connector, trijicon tritium sights, and the oversize slide release and extended mag release too...

B

I think that All that is left to put on the gun is an extended mag well for faster reloads and it's pretty set up. Any other suggestions that would make the gun more badass. Some slides serrations and some CNC cuts in the slide to make it lighter to decrease the mass of the slide therefore reducing felt recoil, of course changes in the recoil spring assembly would have to be made. This is just theory guys so tell me if I am off in left field. And yes this is race gun type stuff but if it can reduce felt recoil and flip for better follow up shots it is worth it and it would look cool as all hell.

I think that All that is left to put on the gun is an extended mag well for faster reloads and it's pretty set up. Any other suggestions that would make the gun more badass. Some slides serrations and some CNC cuts in the slide to make it lighter to decrease the mass of the slide therefore reducing felt recoil, of course changes in the recoil spring assembly would have to be made. This is just theory guys so tell me if I am off in left field. And yes this is race gun type stuff but if it can reduce felt recoil and flip for better follow up shots it is worth it and it would look cool as all hell.

I'm sure if you lighten the frame you will get more recoil. The heavier the gun the more recoil it absorbs. The lighter the gun, the more recoil to the shooter.

Buy a Gen4 G23. Recoil is much more controllable than the previous Generations. Teach proper grip, stance, follow thru etc. Proper shooting techniques can go a long way with shooting a Pistol correctly and comfortably.

Experiment with various 165 and 180 gr loadings.

I heard that the gen 4 had a different recoil spring setup. I will do that so she has more control.

Last edited:
I heard that the gen 4 had a different recoil spring setup. I will do that so she has more control.

Yes I agree a heavier gun has less recoil but the thought process is if you lighten the moving mass of the gun will it therefore reduce felt recoil. The less mass moving back wouldn't it reduce flip and what some would call recoil. If Iam wrong please tell me I didn't do to well in physics.

Yes it's less mass but it is moving at a faster rate, thus more percieved recoil. Example if you put a firecracker under a large rock, the rock probably wont move much (less recoil) but if you put a firecracker under a small rock the rock will go flying (more recoil). Basically the more the mass the more it soaks up the recoil energy. You wouldn't want to shoot a 5lb 50 bmg, you would go flying. hope this makes sense

No, lighter slide/pistol will always have more felt recoil and muzzle flip. That is why people make stainless steel and tungsten recoil spring assemblies for Glocks. To tame muzzle flip and push back.

She'll be fine with a 4th Gen 23 I promise. Focus on her grip, her stance, and the way the recoil comes back into her shoulders, instead of at the wrist and elbows.

If recoil is a problem why not just get her a G19?
This is my question, since in the original post you stated she finally gets it after listening to you and can handle the recoil, yet all these questions about reducing recoil.

My first Glock was a 23 Gen 2 and it is still my EDC gun. Unless a woman is a very proficient gun handler, I don't see the 23 as a good choice. And with the double recoil spring of the Gen 4 models, even less so.

Has she shot a 23? Is she comfortable with it? I don't get all the questions about recoil. I think tpr is right about the G19 being a better choice.