• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tried something differrent with Cerakote

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I usually try to make everything look perfect when I do a coating job. I decided to try something a little different last night and my 5.56 SBR was the sacrificial canvas. Split her in two so she'd fit into the oven, hosed her down with some acetone to degrease and went to town with some FDE. I like the way it turned out. The only safe queen I own is my Weatherby O/U but this one won't show the dings & scratches as easily as some of my others. I'm thinking about ordering in some grey and blasting my 9mm SBR as well.
IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

Re: Tried something differrent with Cerakote

That looks very good,where are youngetting your cerakoat from?

Direct from NIC Industries. I can send you a # when I get home if you can't find them but I think if you Google NIC Industries you should find something.

Phylo that looks good! How would you rate the durability compared to other DIY coatings? Are there any surfaces the stuff wont stick to?

I know you said you threw it in the oven but did you use the air cure or heat cure? Just wondering how some of your accessories held up to the heat.

Looks sharp. Almost looks like you just came out of burning house with it. I bet it blends well. What about touch up with Cerakote. Can you feather it down if it chips so that you can do a smooth touch up? I have heard that it is very hard and difficult to sand down.

David

Thanks Guys, I'm pleased with it. I was hoping for something a little different and I think I got it. Nothing earth shattering but I think it's functional and kinda cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phylo that looks good! How would you rate the durability compared to other DIY coatings? Are there any surfaces the stuff wont stick to? </div></div>

The Cerakote seems to be just as durable as KG or Norrell's from my experience but I haven't really done any formal comparison testing. It seems to stick to plastics & rubber pretty well. That Aimpoint cover was coated before I put it on the scope and it didn't flake off so it's at least a little flexible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you said you threw it in the oven but did you use the air cure or heat cure? Just wondering how some of your accessories held up to the heat. </div></div>

I used the heat cure but I only baked it at 200*. Everything seemed to hold up fine to that temp. The bulb and switch on the Surefire as well as the flip caps and Aimpoint cover came out fine with no distortion or warping that I can see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about touch up with Cerakote. Can you feather it down if it chips so that you can do a smooth touch up? I have heard that it is very hard and difficult to sand down.

David </div></div>

Can't really answer that one. I haven't tried a touch up with it yet but I don't think it's be a problem. The Cerakote goes on very thin and I don't think you would have to feather it down or sand it to do a touch up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Almost looks like you just came out of burning house with it</div></div>
Thats what I thought !!LOL

Looks sweet !!