• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing trigger adjustment problems

gknittel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hello,

Yesterday I installed a new trigger on my rifle.

When runing some security tests, I found that the trigger will break if I close the bolt hard.

I decided to increase the pullweight and sear engagement just a little.

Problem solved.

But a new problem ocured:
When I start applying force to the trigger, instead of moving gradually until it breaks, it jumps a couple of times before it finally breaks.
I reduced the sear engagement but there's still a jump there.
Right now there's very little sear engagement. Although not as little as when it came from the factory.

I also added some lubrication, but the problem is still there.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!!

Re: trigger adjustment problems

What kind of trigger/rifle?

how much is very little sear engagement? How light of a trigger pull are you trying to achieve? I think the minimum sear engagement is between .010" and .015". Of course this needs to be function tested so you don't experience the same issue as your original problem. I might have started with just increasing the pull weight slightly instead of increasing the sear engagement to fix the problem. If there is creep 'noticable movement or jumping' during the trigger pull, then there is very likely some excess sear engagement.

I don't have much experience with shilen triggers, but there is a chance there was a bur or something similar from the factory that needed to be broken-in, and now it can be re-adjusted. I would try cleaning it up with some lighter fluid, and then following an online trigger adjustment instructions.

About sear engagement:
I don't have a way to measure it.
Just looking thru the little window on the trigger housing I was able to see the sear engagement (almost an edge to edge contact as when it came from the factory).
Sometimes my rifle takes some degree of abuse... it is often knocked and shaked severely and I just don't trust that little sear engagement. It's not a benchrest rifle.
That's why I decided to increase the sear contact with the trigger.
Right now it is clearly less than 1mm, wich seems pretty safe at least for my mind.

And about trigger pull:
I'm simply trying to achieve a trigger pull that is confortable to my finger.
Right now the trigger breaks when I apply 1kg of pull force (about 2.2lbs). And it feels about perfect for me.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks alot..