• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger and Stock issues... Just venting a bit.

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
Well... Today I took my "new-to-me" Accra-Liance Remington .308 out for a test drive. Had a couple issues. The rifle was built in 1993 but I doubt it was shot much (if at all) before I got it. I noticed that once in a while it would send a flyer outside the one-hole groups at 100yds. When I examined it closely I discovered the free-floated barrel would actually rest on the stock when the rifle was sitting on the bipod. I had done the "Dollar Bill" test with the rifle pointing upward and there was clearance but when it was resting on the bipod the weight of the barrel made it touch. Damn... Can't fix that at the range!

The other problem was a massive amount of creep in the trigger. That, I could fix... Or so I thought. I would adjust it out only to have it come right back within 4-5 shots. WTF! It's a Shilen trigger so it adjusts just like a Remington trigger... Right? Apparently what was happening is the sear adjustment screw would back out by itself as I shot. Since I didn't have any loc-tite with me I was screwed! I wound up leaving the range early and fixing both problems at home. Now I have to wait another week before I can see if I improved anything. Oh well... At least my new Sig Scorpion performed flawlessly!

A bad day at the range is still better than a good day at the office!