• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger broke in half, Can it be fixed?

smgrendel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
WY
I bought a barreled action here on the hide and when i picked it up this week the jewell trigger was broker in half.
Is there anyway that it can be repaired?
This might be a dumb question, can a fluted barrel be cut and rethreaded?
the crown and two threads are pretty badly damaged.

Thanks,
Shawn.

Re: Trigger broke in half, Can it be fixed?

dang dude, did you have insurance on that thing? id file a claim if i was you

Havent got hold of the seller yet. Just getting the ball rolling on all that fun stuff.

My guess on the trigger is no. But I dunno where its broken.

And you can picture what a cut and threaded fluted barrel would look like. If the flutes arent too deep its doable. If only two threads were damaged, you should probably just clean up the existing threads.

Doesnt sound like it was boxed well at all.

i've seen a new in the bag jewel trigger with a broken trigger shoe. it wouldn't surprise me at all if a trigger shoe on one broke in less than perfect packaging of a barreled action.

depending on the length between the end of the flutes and the back of the existing shoulder at the muzzle, it could probably be cut and re-threaded pretty cleanly. if there is enough threaded length, re crowning and cleaning up the damaged threads may be an option. if i bought something with what i thought was a certain length barrel with muzzle threads, i would want that length of barrel with muzzle threads. hopefully it was insured for the full value.

You either have a claim with the carrier or the seller depending on how it was packaged when you received it.

I would make it a priority to determine which one and start working on a remedy..

The barrel sounds like is can be repaired, I would contact Jewell on the trigger. Possible that you could send it to them for repair, but I don't know.

Bottom line is you should not be stuck paying for any of it (assuming you did not intentionally purchase broken goods).

I hope this works out for you.

Thanks for the feedback guys... Ill post how it all works work.

Shawn.

Jewell should be able to replace the trigger lever, other parts should be fine!

Jewell will fix the trigger, but it will not be free. I have broken one of mine three times, it started getting a little spendy! Another one of my jewells had the safetey seize up, and they did not charge for that repair. Yours is obviously not a factory defect so get the checkbook out!

*the trigger that broke three times was due to pierced primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*the trigger that broke three times was due to pierced primers. </div></div>

Your trigger broke because of pierced primers? I would have switched a long time ago.

Josh

You are probably right. Instead I switched to a calber (308) that is not prone to piercing primers and have had no more issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smgrendel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a barreled action here on the hide and when i picked it up this week the jewell trigger was broker in half.
Is there anyway that it can be repaired?
This might be a dumb question, can a fluted barrel be cut and rethreaded?
the crown and two threads are pretty badly damaged.

Thanks,
Shawn. </div></div>

If you give Jewell a call they can take care of you with the trigger… As far as the other damage goes take lots of pictures and don’t do anything until the insurance adjuster inspects the parts and the original box.