• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger causing bolt to stick?

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
I was running a geiselle trigger in a LR 308 a while back and having issues with it. I finally gave up on it when it caused the bolt to lock up with a live round chambered. The hammer dropped and nothing happened except it locked the bolt in. I had to take a rubber hammer to the charging handle to get it to come out. Long story short, I dropped a Timney in as a replacement and things functioned very well as they should have. That is until this weekend when it did the same thing again with the Timney in it. I had to take the rubber hammer to it again, but it dislodged much easier this time. Any ideas what I am dealing with here? Having put 2 quality triggers in it and having the same problem makes me think it is not the trigger that is the issue.

Re: Trigger causing bolt to stick?

Sounds more like an obstruction or debris is in the barrel extension causing the bolt to stick before going fully into battery. Next time the jam occurs seperate the upper and lower, then see if you can pull the bolt out as the trigger will be removed as a factor. The only time Ive seen a trigger group stop a bolt from moving was when a genius forgot to install the FP retainer, the FP slid back and the hammer wedged underneath. But even in that case pulling the rear TD pin and opening resolved the jam. Good luck.

I know that there is not debris in the barrel extension. The problem with separating the upper and the lower is that it is just not possible as the bolt locks them together when this happens. You can pull the pins out and pull it about 1/2' apart and that is it. The upper and lower would not separate until the bolt was knocked back by tapping on the charging handle.

not sure if this helps, but in my lr308 i put in a timney. the hammer was so tall or high in relation to the BCG that it would not let the BCG cycle. i could draw back the charging handle and when it contacted the hammer, friction. i could let go of the handle and the BCG wont move. timney said they had heard that and figured out that DPMS was out of spec. now the same trigger in my JD set was fine. ill let you know how it does in my MEGA MA-10 in a bit.

not an answer, but it may help some