• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger creep in Model 70

jeffersonv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
SoCal
I have a Mod 70 that has developed a noticeable trigger creep before breaking.

Is this something that can be addressed DIY or do I need a gunsmith to take a look at it?

Thanks.

Re: Trigger creep in Model 70

I'd suggest you leave this one up to the 'smith.

You'll need to stone the sear and sear notch in the trigger, while maintaining exact geometry.

...It's much easier to do it wrong than it is to do it right...

One thing you could try yourself though, is to turn the trigger weight down a bit. That may make the creep less noticeable.

ETA: When tuned properly, the Win70 trigger really breaks clean and feels nice!

It can easily be adjusted out in most cases without filing or even removing the trigger.
Just make sure you are safe when done give it a wrap with a brass bar or rubber mallet, put on safe, pull trigger filp safety, slam bolt etc. Safety first!
RTH

It could be that one of the jam nuts came loose. You can fix that your self if that's the case. Requires two 1/4 inch open end wrenches. It is a very simple trigger, but if in doubt, let someone that knows how do it.

A model 70 trigger is very easy to tune to a crisp 2.5lb trigger weight.

It's also the easiest trigger to royally #&%$ up if you don't know what your doing.

Excessive sear overlap (what creep really is) on a trigger like this is not adjusted out by messing with the springs. The spring/nut/screw assy adjusts weight and overtravel. If you run the weight way down the trigger is now prone to slam fires. 2.5lbs is as low as it should go.

It has to do with the relationship between trigger sear and the transfer bar. To fix it is literally about 5 swipes with a medium grit diamond lap followed by a little buffing with a ceramic stone.

BUT you better know how to do it otherwise you get a trigger that'll slam fire when you run the bolt hard and/or when you flip the safety off.

The only reason I know all this is because I learned it from the final assembly guys at Dakota Arms when I worked there.

Pays to have experience and great mentors.

Leave your mallet in your tool box and get it to someone who knows what they are doing. It's not worth the risk.

C.

Easy trigger to do if you have the tools. I normally get a new trigger and sear from MRC as theirs are solid steel rather than sintered metal, and then set the sear engagement to .020 with the mill. Good clean break is easy to make happen then.

MRC? I'm pretty slow at putting letters into words sometimes.

Based on the advice so generously given here I think I will check the mechanics for anything obvious and get it to someone who can fix it without ruining it.

Thank you all so much for your input.

Montana Rifle Company. They make an action that is basicly a hybrid of the model 70 and the 98 Mauser. They use an exact copy of the M70 trigger on their actions.