• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger for AR

Jester8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Bis. No.Dak.
Recently picked up a DPMS AR-15 and after shooting it, I decided that it needs a new trigger. I looked on Midway, and was going to buy the Chip McCormick, put it is out of stock, and no backorder. Does anyone know where I can find one of these, or recommend another comparible trigger?

Re: Trigger for AR

Never shot one of those, but did put a Timney in mine. I screwed up the install, and basically trashed the trigger. Sent it to Timney, and T-Bone replaced it with a new one for the charge of the install. Great service. And a great trigger. Couldn't be happier with it.

I think the Chip McCormick triggers had a flaw that caused them to double. Many of them were recalled and in the end they were discontinued.

He then worked with American Trigger Corp on a new trigger called the AR Gold Trigger.

I have never tried one,They claim to have completely rethought the way the trigger works in an AR, and they sure are pricey.

Get an Accuracy Speaks single stage from Brownells, send the trigger and the lower to Derrick, and he'll do the trigger job for $25. Best AR trigger I own.

+1 for Timney, I'm running a 3 lbs drop in and love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recently picked up a DPMS AR-15 and after shooting it, I decided that it needs a new trigger. I looked on Midway, and was going to buy the Chip McCormick, put it is out of stock, and no backorder. Does anyone know where I can find one of these, or recommend another comparible trigger? </div></div>

Cheaper Than Dirt had them at one point. I bought mine a couple of day before Christmas.

It's a good choice.

I had a JP single stage in my Wilson Combat UT-15 and it's been my favorite so far. You can send it to them and have it installed for close the the price of the Chip McCormick.

I understand the Geissele is the trigger to beat.

I've not tried it myself (so take my opinion for what it's worth) but I've read enough rave reviews I'd be willing to gamble a few bucks to try it if I were looking to upgrade a rifle.

I am using a Geissele Match in a really sweet 6.5 Grendel. It is as good as people say. In fact I built the rifle around the trigger, it is that good. It was worth the money and the 6 months it took me to get at the time.

Geissele without a doubt, the other Rock River National Match. I have heard however that after a few hundred rounds the Rock River triggers are prone to " bump firing
I believe the term is " with the safety off you can hit the butt stock and hear the hammer fall. There is a You Tube Video that shows it. I have never heard of any issues with the Geissel triggers.

I have been doing my own trigger jobs on AR's for years. I have also done several triggers for several friends. I have never had any complaints.

DK

I've been using RRA 2stage NM triggers for a while. My oldest one that has been shot a bunch feels amazing. Also I have the Geissele SSA trigger. I'd say it's better than a new RRA NM trigger in feel, but not as good as my oldest worked in RRA NM.

I just helped a buddy fit his accuracy speaks single stage trigger. That was a very nice feeling single stage trigger. Too expensive for my tastes. Also, I prefer the long sear engagement of 2 stage triggers.

For the money I don't think you can beat a RRA NM 2stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been doing my own trigger jobs on AR's for years. I have also done several triggers for several friends. I have never had any complaints.

DK </div></div>

Details on how you do it?

Just a nice crisp reliable trigger, 3 lb pull is all. Rifle will be used for varmints mostly, and target work.

I love the Timney AR. Very sweet single stage. Midway USA has the 3 & 4 lbs on SALE right now. $35off. Very nice trigger. I also used to like and run the RR Match 2 stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a nice crisp reliable trigger, 3 lb pull is all. Rifle will be used for varmints mostly, and target work. </div></div>

I've got a Rock River two stage on a built M4, and a Timney on my LR-308B . . .

I really like the break on the Rock River.

I don't have much experience with other brands, and I don't have the smithing skills to feel comfortable working on a stock trigger.

I've got the CM two stage flat on my AR10T and a RRA two stage match on my A2, they are both excellent and zero problems with either. Probably have 1500 rnds on the CM and <500 on the RRA. It'd be a very hard choice but if I were forced to choose...........I'd probably choose the CM. ALL that said, my next one, if I buy another, will probably be a Geissele even though I have no experience with one and they are pricey, just done a lot of reading. That writeup in PS mag a few months ago made me a believer in them.

okie

Out of all the AR triggers I have used I think the geissele match was the best. Although as others have said the rock river two stage is hard to beat at only $100, I have one in my carbine and it really is very nice.

Thank you for the link, interesting read...I think I know what I am going to go with.

Yes thank you nicholst55, I have been looking for that article for a few days now.

Shipped my trigger out to Bill Sprinfield in CO, should be here next week sometime. I am having him tune it to 3 lbs. I'll be sure to give a report when it gets here.

I received my re-worked trigger back from Bill Springfield.

All I can say is wow! NO creep, crisp, clean and light. Trigger came with a new set of springs, and surfaces honed. I am very pleased with the results!

IF you anyone is looked for a GREAT, CHEAP, trigger re-working for your AR, check out

triggerwork.net,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received my re-worked trigger back from Bill Springfield.

All I can say is wow! NO creep, crisp, clean and light. Trigger came with a new set of springs, and surfaces honed. I am very pleased with the results!

IF you anyone is looked for a GREAT, CHEAP, trigger re-working for your AR, check out

triggerwork.net, </div></div>I agree. Good for stock single stage FCG's. Makes a world of difference.

Depends on what you want to use it for.

If at any time it's going to be used for Self defense that would narrow down my choices. Either have Bill Springfield work over your original trigger to smooth it out and lower the weight a little bit (~$45), or something like a Geisselle SSA trigger (~175).

If it's primarily a target/gaming/hunting AR I'd choose the Geisselle DMR match ($279) or AR Gold ($279) These are both 2 stage triggers, although they feel a little different from each other. The first stage on the Geisselle is a little longer than the AR Gold, similar to the 2 stage trigger in my bolt gun, still a great trigger IMO.

I picked up an AR Gold a few weeks ago to try out. Yes, the shoe is Gold and it doesn't appear that the gold color will wear off. If that bothers you - tape it up and hit it with some flat black paint - Once you decide you like everything else about the trigger
smile.gif

The trigger shoe is a little thinner than a standard AR shoe. It has a light & shorter first stage than other two stage triggers, breaks at about 2.5 lbs and has a smooth and short reset. Another benefit of the AR Gold is that it's a one piece/cartridge drop in. I had never built up a lower on an AR prior (only changed the stock and pistol grip on my lowers). Installing this into my lower took me a whopping 7 minutes including function/safety testing - very simple.

I realize that the Geisselle and AR Gold are not within everyone's budget. I've heard good reports on JARD and the Timney units, but personally never used them. They are less expensive but folks seem to like them.

I have a Geissele on one of my 6.5 Grendels. I also had a lower setup with a Jewell. When I first installed it, I had the 2nd stage a little too light and got a couple doubles. Readjusted it and it ran like a charm, but decided that I didnt need 2 lowers with match triggers so I sold it and installed a RRA 2 stage. Was the Geissele $100 better than the Jewell? I couldn't tell, I listed both for sell and the Jewell sold first so I kept the Geissele.

I do like the RRA, but I feel you do get your moneys worth with a higher end trigger.